WEP/ WPA for an iBook G4

bruceclarke

Registered
I recently picked up an older iBook to add to my collection of computers and am wondering if it is possible to upgrade the airport extreme to accept WPA PSK-AES rather than the WEP it comes up with ( I really don't know much about the different security levels these units are all set to). Sorry about it if this problem has been addressed before I am kind of new to computers started with them in '07 after my wife passed away and am learning as I go. Thank you in advance.

That's not a solution, just a work-around, and a poor one at that. You are left with the need to use a password, but almost zero protection with WEP.

If your iBook is a G4 processor, then the Airport Extreme card can actually connect to WPA-encrytped networks. An older iBook G3 (has a CD tray, instead of a slot for the CD), then that older Airport card is not usable with a WPA network.

You can tell what an OS X Airport card can do by launching /Applications/Utilities/System Information. Once that launches under the 'Network' click on the selection discloser arrow and then highlight the word 'Wi-Fi'. It will show you what that Airport card can do.

Also for 10.4.x use the application iStumbler 98 (for 10.6.x use iStumbler 99 & for 10.7 use for now the iStumbler Beta). This way you can see all the wireless networks around you and choose your wireless channel to separate your wireless router from theirs.

Thanks for the replies, I did get it to go with WPA AEK and all is now going good somewhere in the mess I got it said the airport was disabled?, Anyway all is well well in my little piece of the world.

Back