What about the ibook

Johnny Blaze

Big Baby Jesus
I was just getting ready to buy a new ibook when mac announced the intel decision, so now how long do I have to wait until an ibook (or something similar) comes out with an intel processor. Anyone know?

Well, Steve Jobs said they'd have all their lines using Intel by the end of the year. We don't really know any more than that.

Some people are guessing that the iBook will use the single-core version of Intel's new chip to better differentiate it from the MacBook Pro. This single-core version is supposed to be available in a couple months. But other people say that Apple won't touch the single-core chip with a 10-foot pole. It's all just rumors and guesswork at this point.

Johnny Blaze said:
I was just getting ready to buy a new ibook when mac announced the intel decision, so now how long do I have to wait until an ibook (or something similar) comes out with an intel processor. Anyone know?

Yes, we all know. But we can't say.

Okay, okay, 47.3 days, give or take a few minutes.

They said they should have their Pro apps converted to Universal Binary by March, so I'm guessing that they'll maybe have some PowerMacs out by then (or maybe save them until NAB in April). Who knows, maybe they'll release iBooks at the same time.

the universal apps are for the MacBook Pro (and pro users on other Macs), too.

I wonder whether Apple should continue with iBook? I am not overly impressed with mine (the case was warped from day one and the keys don't feel right, poor resolution etc.).

I have seen my friend's PowerBook and am bowled over by the sheer quality of it. It's a faboulous laptop.

Just a thought, but perhaps Apple should put all it's eggs in one basket and stick with the PowerBook.

InkWell doesn't even work with their touchscreen. I'll bet the finished product looks nothing like the photos, as well, in terms of quality of the finish and construction.

Still, nifty idea.

rhisiart said:
I wonder whether Apple should continue with iBook? I am not overly impressed with mine (the case was warped from day one and the keys don't feel right, poor resolution etc.).

I have seen my friend's PowerBook and am bowled over by the sheer quality of it. It's a faboulous laptop.

Just a thought, but perhaps Apple should put all it's eggs in one basket and stick with the PowerBook.

I don't think a lot of people would be interested in paying $2000 for a Apple laptop though. There needs to be a iBook. Its the every day consumer laptop for Apple users. I seen more students with iBooks then I have PowerBooks. (3 students had iBooks. A teach had the PowerBook) Even if its not all the bells and whistles of the PowerBooks/MacBooks you can get one for $1000 less. So when it comes to the market that just needs a nice computer without giving their right eye, less is more when they are checking the price tags.

(You can get some great looking Windows laptops when really nice specs for even less the the lowest costing model iBook. Maybe with Apple's switch to Intel they could offer a little more specs for the same price. Or at lest drop the prices some because right now the competition cost less and gives more. I'm really tempted to just get a great Windows Laptop, Hack Mac OS X on it and have something on the level of a MacBook for $1000 less. :p)

I'm pretty sure they'll have a replacement for the iBook in some way or the other. :) ... They're so successful, it'd be unexplicable _not_ to pursue the entry-level notebook category.

i had an ibook g3 500 mhz back in the day and it was pretty slow, but it got the job done. Besides it being kind of slow on OSX it was a great machine. Did alot of programming on it, connected to every device etc. Can't wait til they release a new ibook, in my opinion they will prolly do it in around 4-8 months. I am so surprised that they would update their two newest products first but i guess it made sense from an engineering and sales point of view.

Yea i didn't notice it before i just found that today, but the iTablet is crippled, it only has one USB port, no keyboard and mouse, but these could prolly be connected to all these things.

But yea I agree with all you guys. There has got to be a consumer laptop so they can ship alot of these things and can still add to their profit. I can't afford an ibook or a powerbook, but an ibook is much more within average people's reach, gives them osx for less money and a very capable laptop. marketshare is more important than profit for apple imo.

Well, back when the G3/500 iBook was new, OS X was kinda slow – as was the hardware. I'd say ever since the iBook G3/700, though, which did work with Quartz Extreme, the iBooks were good little notebooks with OS X. (All depending on what you do, of course.)

I think they need to quit keeping people in the dark about this. You know they have some plans laid out for the next ibook or equivalent, and whether it is intel or not will affect a lot of peoples purchase plans. I would be pretty upset with apple if I bought a powerbook in november and then all the sudden they announce this huge change that maybe I wouldve really liked to wait for. At the very least let us know if they are planning an intel switch for all their laptops. Damnit.

I accept the general viewpoint that it is important for Apple to maintain a low end laptop, but my Compaq is far better constructed than the iBook, at a much lower cost (still prefer Apple's OS of course).

Johnny Blaze said:
At the very least let us know if they are planning an intel switch for all their laptops. Damnit.

I don't know whether to praise or curse Apple for being 20,000 leagues ahead of MS in terms of bringing out new OS and hardware products so frequently. It's a pity that the processors haven't kept the same pace, but it appears that will now change.

rhisiart said:

I completely disagree with you. I just bought a new ibook from the apple store. The 12 inch. The case is beautiful and durable. And for the budget crowd, the ibook is the best buy. I don't use the screen on the laptop that much but it is ok (i downloaded a hack so i can extend the desktop). And since your ibook is old, I can assure you the new ones must be a million times better because I love mine.

Other than my 6 logic board failures on my iBook G4 I was very happy with it. (No kidding!)

Luckily, Apple replaced the G3 after the 6th l/b failure - with a brandnew G4, that even had a harddrive that was 10 GB larger, and AirPort, as well as Bluetooth integrated. Yeah! :)

And I still love it very much...

patrice
http://www.patriceschneider.com/apple-osx/blog/

Phluxy said:
I completely disagree with you. I just bought a new ibook from the apple store. The 12 inch. The case is beautiful and durable. And for the budget crowd, the ibook is the best buy. I don't use the screen on the laptop that much but it is ok (i downloaded a hack so i can extend the desktop). And since your ibook is old, I can assure you the new ones must be a million times better because I love mine.

I bought mine two years ago, so you may well right that they have improved since.

I am not entirely convinced that they managed to get rid of all the technical problems; just read this site/petition:

http://www.the-set.com/index.php?id=1

Plenty of people having problems with the iBook G4, and also plenty of people who were not treated as nicely as I was (well, more or less... but that's another story) by Apple re their G3...

Re my 6 logic board failures mentioned in my previous post... all in all, my iBook was at the repair shop for ca. 6 weeks, all the failures added up (no apology, no free goodies, nothing!)... And the service (from the official AASP) over here in Thailand, where I am currently living, is absolutely ridiculous... 99 % of the members on this forum/website would be able to do a much better job... and the guys at the AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) actually are Apple Certified!!!

The experience there (plus with the officials from Apple Thailand & Apple Singapore) turned me from an Apple-loving person to someone who buys Apple because there is no alternative. Sad, but true...

patrice
http://www.patriceschneider.com/apple-osx/blog/

Back