What are Apple's top 5 current biggest mistakes?

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I can't believe we're having a 1/2 button mouse debate in 2005.

(Though I do believe that a two-button mouse is better, but that's all I'm saying, I'm not getting any more involved in this ;) )

Well, I'll be honest when I say everyone I know who uses/used a PC knows what the right click does. A matter of fact, they (as well as myself at first) become confused by Apple single click mouse. They hold the mouse and right away wonder how are they going use this machine without the familiar right click option. The right click does their most simple of tasks (cut, past, info, ect) and now that is gone. (Thats how I was too)

Right click just become a second nature thing to know when using a computer, and here I was with a Mac and no idea how to do that. Needles to say it did throw me back some and I personally seen this for anyone who has used a Windows at lest decently. The first thing they'll say to me is, "This feels weird..how do I right click?". The right click was taught to them right after they knew what the mouse was. So a single click and the need of keyboard pressing was just more complex then what they knew already to do the simple things. :confused:

For switches, being able to right click is/be just a really simple way in getting comfy with the new surroundings. They(as well as I was) are familiar with the feature and know how to use it just like they would with Windows. I even dropped Apple's one button mouse for a two button one. Though it sounds odd, 2 buttons is more simple then pressing keys and then clicking. You can just think faster and more naturally but clicking a side button. Where without one, you have to pause and remember what key to press, find it, press it, then click. That's how it was for me and my friends who used my Mac for the first time. They always had trouble with that part till I got my new mouse. Now they can use it no problem.

Right clicking apps in the Dock and clicking Quit is just so much nicer than doing File>Quit or Apple+Q.

On the other hand, most of the stuff that can be done with a right click should be able to be done by a keyboard shortcut, which some would argue is better because then your hands don't have to leave the keyboard. But for people that don't know much about computers, they obviously aren't going to start memorizing keyboard shortcuts, and the right-click is basically the most simple option.

why are we stuck on the one button mouse? i think that it is time that apple updates the mouse, but atleast they included in the os the abilty to plug in a two button and it just works. as far as itunes, i love it aranging for me. it make slife so easy.

sinclair_tm said:
why are we stuck on the one button mouse? i think that it is time that apple updates the mouse, but atleast they included in the os the abilty to plug in a two button and it just works.

I said once and I will say it again, as long as Steve Jobs is ALIVE and workers that adore him work at Apple, there will never be a two button mouse at Apple!

there's no reason apple mice shouldnt be two button, besides the horrible excuse people like to pull called "tradition".

Two button mouse is probably my biggest gripe. I have one, but it doesn't offer the same functionality as in Windows... which right click does a whole lot more. i.e. in the Spotlight search results, you can't right-click and copy or cut. In fact you can't even right-click :rolleyes: Yeah I could use my keyboard or go up to edit >> etc... but you get the idea (I'm lazy).

That's all :)

multi-button mouse=better espose experience

get Show All Windows under the middle button, and youre laughing - it becomes second nature navigating through tons of windows when you don't have to look at the keyboard to do it....

..um I actually quite like the idea of being able to burn my music (that i've already payed for) onto CD for free actually. 79c to burn a track? No way!
Also, what about when online stores inevitably close/go bankrupt in the face of the iTunes behemoth/my internet connection goes down/i run out of tracks to download and I have to continue to paye $7 a month to listen to music that I own?

You know in the UK there used to be a service in the 60s where you could phone a number to hear the current no1 from a payphone, you just pumped a coin in every minute or so. When the money ran out, so did the music.
Sound familiar?

".um I actually quite like the idea of being able to burn my music (that i've already payed for) onto CD for free actually. 79c to burn a track?"
- well, now you are paying 99c to burn it.
"what about when online stores inevitably close/go bankrupt in the face of the iTunes behemoth"
- I am sure Yahoo will be around for a long time.
"my internet connection goes down"
- You will have all of the songs you like synched to your player.
" i run out of tracks to download"
- highly unlikely

The thing I don't understand is why doesn't Apple just create a multi-button mouse/trackball as an optional accessory? (the same way Kensington, Logitech, etc. have done for years).

They must be aware that there is a large group of users (i.e. a market) who want a multi-button mouse (and would greatly prefer to buy Apple) - the thing would sell like hotcakes.

Kap

Scottfab said:
there's no reason apple mice shouldnt be two button, besides the horrible excuse people like to pull called "tradition".

How many times do I have to say it? Steve Jobs will NOT ALLOW a two button mouse at Apple. It is that simple. Game over.

Satcomer said:
How many times do I have to say it? Steve Jobs will NOT ALLOW a two button mouse at Apple. It is that simple. Game over.

Just one question, how many buttons did the NeXT have?

aicul said:
Just one question, how many buttons did the NeXT have?

Next was Unix. UNIX needs a multi-button mouse. I bet Jobs had to shallow his pride about using one. I bet if you ask every fomer NEXt person at apple, they would want/use mult-button mice. I bet Jobs still uses a one button mouse with his current personal Apples.

Satcomer said:
ok.... just because Jobs is a rich stuck up brat doesnt mean we shouldnt have one.

Satcomer said:
Next was Unix. UNIX needs a multi-button mouse. I bet Jobs had to shallow his pride about using one. I bet if you ask every fomer NEXt person at apple, they would want/use mult-button mice. I bet Jobs still uses a one button mouse with his current personal Apples.

macOS is unix. but that it irrelavent, right?

they should promote it as unlocking exposé, which a lot of people still think is useless eyecandy - there's only two useable hot corners at the end of the day, and a button is so much nicer. and i havent ctrl-clicked since i got my shite M$ mouse

Scottfab said:
ok.... just because Jobs is a rich stuck up brat doesnt mean we shouldnt have one.

It's not what I want. I already use a 5 button button mouse. If you really want one, by a USB multibutton mouse. Plug it in and just use it, most mice will work with no extra software. It is that simple.

#1 No TV Advertising of Mac OS X
#2 No TV Advertising of Mac OS X
#3 No TV Advertising of Mac OS X
#4 Not Enough TV Advertising
#5 Not Enough TV Advertising

Go figure. :p

Back