What are piles exactly?

Hey -- Piles *could* still appear in panther... It would be really cool if apple pulled piles out of the preview just because of all the hype around them...
As to what piles are : think of a piece of paper as a computer file ( a printed document on your desk vs. the bit's and bytes representing it on your hard disk). Then imagine cleaning, and putting related documents into a pile next to your typewriter. "Piles" are represetations of real life piles of documents.
The specifics of how piles worked were never leaked, but rumors were just of the general feature.

Piles (from this description) sounds a little like the interface discussed in "The Humane Interface" by Jef Raskin.

-JARinteractive

coo

Plies from that demo look very cool and easy to understand but that demo raises a few questions in my mind

1: how would you handle piles within piles

anyone actually see piles in a technical article? or just conjecture? I think Piles became Expose´ (piles may not be a good commercial name) You handle piles within piles in a similar fashion to handling a virtual desktop within a desktop, I guess. Sometimes you just have to step back a moment so you remeber where you are!

Well they also correlated with a patent apple files years ago, that described Piles... I can't remember exactly what it said, but it was a 10 or so year old patent filed by apple that fleshed out the piles rumors. I don't think the piles rumor could have been a jaded expose, but who knows?

Sorry, I don't have Panther but this thread got me wondering:

pile = folder without the paper surrounding it (to extend the real-workd desk metaphor)?

What's the point of a pile (versus a folder)?

Points would be faster access, that it closes after choosing a file and last, but not least, that you _see_ what kinds of documents are in it, because you can see parts of their icons.

However, it would be enough for me if they brought back _full_ spring loaded folders (from OS 9). OS 9's Finder lets you 1.5-click a folder (holding down the mousebutton on second click, i mean), it opens and changes the mouse pointer into a looking glass. you can then go through the interiors of that folder and further down the hierarchy until you release the mouse button. then, all interim folders are closed and only the last window stays open. that's what i'm missing - and it's still missing in Panther.

Uh oh!!!

I've always pride myself on the fact that my Mac desktop is always much cleaner than my real desktop.

This looks like it is going to lead to my virtual desktop being a big mess... and will certainly increase the need for me to buy that program called Spring Cleaning. :p

Originally posted by AppMan
I make piles about twice a day, sometimes 3 times depending on what I eat. :D

I was wondering where a comment like that was going to be...

As for that demo, do you seriously reckon they'd made it like that?

Back