What do U all Think - Final Verdict ?

My initial thoughts are that this is almost too good! (he he he)

It will be interesting what this does to prices of older G4s now.

These new machines look so quick I reckon they will be overkill for some stuff. An older g4 might become a real bargain.

That said, I'm counting up my pennies to see if I can get a G5 asap.

Sales figures will make very interesting reading once these have been out a while.

The only slight disappointment I have so far is the case - not too convinced by it yet but probably need to see it in the flesh to make my mind up.

On the whole - BIG thumbs up Apple!

most the show I was pretty awed but once the benchmarks started, I nearly flipped. Optimized or not, that computer is leathal. I loved the fact that they compared it to the best PC money could buy, one that was 1000 more expensive yet it still slaughtered it.

hmm, reading over what I just said makes me sound blood thirsty. I'm going to go cook some meat.

This applies to both Panther and G5:

Technology - Top rating. Great stuff, very pleased
Pricing - Mediocre. I was hoping that G5 would be slightly less considering the gouging that Motorola was charging for the G4s. I suppose a 33% increase for a 100% increase in speed isn't SO bad, but the G4 Macs were outrageously priced.

Just G5:

Looks - A cheese grater? Maybe it's just kneejerk reaction, but this really is a turn-off for me.

Rip

OK, I went from "uugh" when I saw the first pictures of the G5, to "mmmm!" when I saw the pictures on Apple's site.

I've now watched the G5 video on Apples site.

"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That is one fine looking machine!!!

oh - and the fact that it's the fastest personal computer ever is kind of an added bonus.

Quite hosly to day is sooooo coool!!!!

my dad said to me 3 days a go when i showed him the panter screen shots (the ones posted on the net) 'Oh there fake, a poor photoshop guy'

Well he was wrong !!!! :D :D :D

Also the G5 look sweet , thank good nes i have a job, todo list:

Save for G5
Give money to MacosX.com.

On a darker note, not to keen on the new 'X' think it will stay? the jag one did.

Adam

Mine (and the general impression at the Lenox Square Atl Apple Store) was one of awe. Panther looks amazing. Apple is really listening to the user feedback. Just about every gripe with Jaguar is addressed. Fast user switching, Font Book, Expose (great feature), etc., all look amazing.

The specs on the G5 look amazing as well. The promise that in 12 months the G5 would be at 3ghz was reassuring too.

The only disappointments? There weren't any G5s at the store ready to be sold, and there was no date for Panther except "later this year", which probably means Dec. 31st in Steve speak...

I just have to say this is really amazing. I'm very lucky to be a part of the Apple community. Thinking about it now: we are all lucky.

Sitting here in front of our Macintosh computers, the design simple, eligant, captivating. We see the world through different eyes, though we may not know it. The moment we opened our Apple boxes and pulled out a computer our lives changed and we all take it for granet. Let's all just thank Apple for changing our world. For providing even the "lowest of welthy" with personal computing.

I can't wait to see what develops with Apple within the next few years. The G5 is completely from the year 2050. Think of what it can do, and then think of what it will do.

so far we have an overall positive view from Mr. Jobs keynote.

All I can say is that those G5's are off the hook! The tech specs are just crazy--in a good way. That bus speed plus the fact that it's 64 bit makes it turbo.

Those prices are a bit high, but try buying a 64 bit workstation and the prices easily double, triple or quadrouple those.

I'll have to see panther in person to make any judgements and I expected more changes--even a total redesign--for ichat.

This might be off topic , but I want more stuff out of .Mac. For example, a portal page with email, calendar, news etc on one page. Also message boards or groups would be cool.

;)

Did anyone else notice that the case side is no longer fold-out? It appears to be removable only. Why do they appear to be throwing away years of excellent case design methodology? Perhaps the internals are great for cooling and whatnot, but I want my ultra-cool looking case, with ultra-easy access to the internals!

Rip

Love the case. But, that's not important... Apple have retained their pride amongst hardware development.

One thing... everybody has overlooked... the mouse!? I gather it's a single-button one? Can't find any reference to it on Apple's site.

I'll be buying one (but may wait for the first reviews).

As for Panther, I have to say I love it. (Well, at least the look, and my fiancée can quite complaining about Fast Switching now as well!) I echo Serpicolugnut's statement, the delivery dates, particularly of Panther where a let down.

i was just thinking, 64 bit is mostly used in servers because they demand the power, so why isn't xServe out the same day as the new powermac?

It's also weird that steve jobs is the ceo of pixar, but they just bought a huge xeon farm. Now he just said the xeons are slow compared to G5's. Why couldn't Pixar use their sun farm until the new G5's come out ? I so a demo of the G5 and they played a Nemo clip .... how ironic.

Now notebooks, when ... I guess I don't need any of those soon, it would be cool to have.

I'm due for a new workstation, so I'll be getting the new G5 when it comes out. I think it would be perfect if the G5 came in a single 2 GHz. hurry up august ... can't wait

Love the new software, but the new hardware! OMFG!
I wonder if Apple would trade me a G5 for my lovingly maintained, low-mileage 1998 Toyota Corolla...
:D

Hope my sources are right and Brushed Metal becomes a user choice. Hate how Jobs treated the Finder, as if the Desktop wouldn't work any longer. (Hoping that new view is just that: Another new view - not replacing what's been there...

Panther: Sounds cool. Let's have it.

G5: Rocks. Looks? 1) Who cares? 2) We'll have to see them IRL before judging.

Back