What Do You Think of the new iPods?

Spiral Girl

Registered
Hello,

Well I certainly was doing the happy dance when I saw the new iPod line up. This past January I was given money towards an iPod and have waited this long because I kept hearing a new one was coming out. Of course the widescreen was the one I wanted as I've never owned an iPod.

Now that they are all out for the world to see I don't know which one to get. Obviously I want the gadget part of the iPod Touch and the coolness factor but 8 GB is small and that is the only one I can afford. Plus iPhones haven't even come out in Canada so I think the Touch will be a big hit here. Then again the new nano's are adorable with great new colours. The reason I never bought a nano before was because there was no video. Again I have no idea if 8 GB will be enough. This brings me to the classic which is perfect as far as space because my collection can grow with either the 80GB or 160GB model. The only problem I miss out on the widescreen option and wifi of the Touch.

Decisions, decisions. Maybe I'm the only one having a hard time deciding. I've watched the keynote speech by Steve Jobs and went ga ga goo over the new iPods. Then I watched all the sample videos on apple.com (for some reason I couldn't get them to work on apple.ca, I kept getting Quicktime symbol with the question mark inside).

S.

I personally am thrilled. I confess, I do not yet own one. I worked at home for years and my Mac is essentially my iPod and has been since the day iTunes came out. And this is a guy who has owned 12 Macs and was an early Newton adopter! However, this will change. The new line up is very appealing to me, but now it is too hard for me to choose! At first I thought Nano all the way, but the Touch UI is very appealing to me. However, when you have a "classic" iPod with 80GB for under $300, well, that is a no brainer for me. Of ocurse if there was a 80 GB touch with some of the cool Nano colors for under $300 that would be it! :)

While I wouldn't get an iPhone (now mainly because I'm happy with T-Mobile since the price is no longer an issue), the iPod touch is definitely something I would purchase. I was looking at the Nokia N800 but it looks like the iPod touch can do pretty much the same thing I want to do on the N800, but with the elegance of Apple. ;)

I'd go for the iPod touch 8 GB then, if that's the one you can afford. Both 8 and 16 GB will feel restrictive if you have a growing media archive. (And believe me: Owning an iPod makes it seem growing ever faster...) But once you've accepted that not _all_ of your media fits on that iPod, you can set up lists that work for you. The screen, I hear, is really worth it considering video. Plus: You don't want to watch the same ten movies over and over again, right? You'll watch the ones you haven't watched yet, mostly. So the ones you've _already_ watched don't have to reside on the iPod necessarily.

why oh why oh why did they not just stick an 80gb single-platter hdd in the touch and be done with it? it'd still be thinner than the iPhone probably...

solve all problems all at once.

I'd go for the iPod touch 8 GB then, if that's the one you can afford. Both 8 and 16 GB will feel restrictive if you have a growing media archive. (And believe me: Owning an iPod makes it seem growing ever faster...) But once you've accepted that not _all_ of your media fits on that iPod, you can set up lists that work for you. The screen, I hear, is really worth it considering video. Plus: You don't want to watch the same ten movies over and over again, right? You'll watch the ones you haven't watched yet, mostly. So the ones you've _already_ watched don't have to reside on the iPod necessarily.

This is very true, and one of the reasons I haven't bought a large capacity iPod in the past. I have a 4 GB nano that has yet to be filled to capacity. I have about 18 albums and 14 podcasts that I listen to. I only have the iPod load the podcasts that I haven't listened to yet, so it conserves space.

So far, I'm only using 75% of the 4 GB on the nano. Something like the iPod touch (be it 8 GB or 16 GB) would be more than enough for me. Plus, I could possibly browse the web. And since there is no phone to deal with, there would be more justification for native third party apps since I can't bring down AT&T's network. :rolleyes:

why oh why oh why did they not just stick an 80gb single-platter hdd in the touch and be done with it? it'd still be thinner than the iPhone probably...

Thats what I was screaming when I saw how much space it had, but I guess it would kill battery life. But why can't they think of people like me, I don't care if it drops that battery power down 5 hours thats what those big add on batteries are for.

What I found out is that you can fit a lot of videos on an ipod because there not a big screen, so I can reduce a 700 mb file to like 200-300 mb.

If the 8GB iPod touch had an 80GB spinning disc instead, or even if I knew I could mod it to have one, I'd buy one in the next five minutes and another tomorrow just for good measure! :/

I imagine a lot of people are stressing out over the choice now, and I don't think that's good for Apple. Up to now, buying an iPod has always been a no-brainer. The cheapest one was the smallest and had the fewest features, and it just went up from there. Simple. Now it goes up, up, up, and then we have this new "iPod Touch", which looks like it should be better, is priced like it should be better, and has a bunch of new features, but has just a fraction of the storage space. I think Apple is going to lose customers because of this. People aren't going to be happy choosing between lots of storage space and a fancy screen. Apple needs to find a way to cram a hard disk in there, for simplicity's sake.

It's a great time to be in the market for a Nano, though. :)

The iPod Touch does look pretty nice. If it had full third-party app support, I'd be drooling all over it. I know, I know: in time. Apple's not ready to enter the PDA market. It's frustrating, though, since their current products are so close.

The new line up is very appealing to me, but now it is too hard for me to choose! At first I thought Nano all the way, but the Touch UI is very appealing to me. However, when you have a "classic" iPod with 80GB for under $300, well, that is a no brainer for me. Of ocurse if there was a 80 GB touch with some of the cool Nano colors for under $300 that would be it! :)

Karavite,

That is exactly what I want an 80 GB iPod Touch with cool colours and I'd be in heaven. Now I'm left deciding between space and fancy screen.

S.

fryke,

Good point, thanks. Also considering that now too as I can be more selective in my music and podcasts etc. Good to know my collection will grow when I have an iPod. I went into itunes to see how many GB I had and was shocked to find I had 15 GB but I don't listen to all that stuff on there, I've just collected over the years.

S.

What I found out is that you can fit a lot of videos on an ipod because there not a big screen, so I can reduce a 700 mb file to like 200-300 mb.

icemanjc,

Yes, someone pointed that out to me too. If you read the specs on Apple's page it mentions the video quality (can't remember like 640xsomething) and you can shrink your videos to a much smaller size and get more video on there. So I'm thinking about that too. By the time I decide they will have a new model out probably. My plan is to wait until my local store gets them all in (I'll have to wait until the end of the month for the Touch one) and then I'll go down and look at all of them and decide from there.

Also waiting for more detailed reviews of all of them like Macworld does, (they have a first glance article up there now) and then I'll see the pros and cons.

S.

I recently bought a new iPod Video. I saw the iPod touch and had to watch the keynote! I was wow'd by the features. I was about ready to get a refund for my iPod Video. However, then Steve said that it only came in 8GB and 16GB, and that isn't enough storage for my music. :(

On the topic of the iPod Classic and Nano, I think that the all metal designs aren't as nice looking as the glass. They are harder to clean as well.

The new GUI of the iPods are both good and bad. In the main menu, the album/video/photo previews seem to take up too much room. I hope they can be turned off as well.

In conclusion, I think it's a really great new lineup, with a few changes to be had. ;)

what happens if you put a 720x400 video on an iPod? i know the 640x480 thing, but the total amount of pixels is less, for the 'larger' video. (28,000 pixels vs 30,700)

That was my dream too... but let's take it as it is, the 160 GB classic and the 8 GB touch a both very impressive products.

It is a bit of a hassle to use. You have to grab it out of your pocket, "unlock" it, find out where you are in the GUI and touch a bunch of things to get where you wanna go. It's a good device when you're sitting down, but if you're on the go and walking, it's really tedious. Wouldn't the screen get scratched within a week of regular usage?

That was my dream too... but let's take it as it is, the 160 GB classic and the 8 GB touch a both very impressive products.

I don't see why they couldn't put a 200 gb or 250 gb hard drive in the classic.

It is a bit of a hassle to use. You have to grab it out of your pocket, "unlock" it, find out where you are in the GUI and touch a bunch of things to get where you wanna go. It's a good device when you're sitting down, but if you're on the go and walking, it's really tedious. Wouldn't the screen get scratched within a week of regular usage?

Mario8672,

Thanks, good point. That is what I'm wondering about but I read on some review that you could use a partial remote control that allows you to rewind, fast forward and pause but it's something you have to buy extra maybe. Can't remember where I read this.

Also wondered about the scratches.

S.

Back