What Do You Think of the new iPods?

it's an ipod. not a pda. keep it simple. yeah it's crap when people cripple stuff but it's business, they aren't a charity.

It sounds like people are just jumping to conclusions on what the iPod touch will or won't do before we've even seen the first reviews and working demonstrations. To quote Apple, the screen is perfect for "entering calendar events, or adding new contacts." so yes, that functionality will be in there.

They aren't likely to leave out Notes either; I think Apple know that if they don't put these features on, people will just use simple workarounds such as using Google Apps online.

I think everyone is getting upset because they haven't seen that one useful feature, and most if not all of these things will be there.

Does the browser support Javascript?

All signs point to Yes. Especially the ADC article about optimising your website for use with iPhone Safari. Or the fact that Apple's website now relies heavily on JavaScript & Scriptaculous.

It's not as baseless as all that. Apple has quite a few images of the iPod Touch's interface, and there are no Mail or Notes icons. Since the icons aren't there, I think it's safe to assume the apps aren't there. I doubt Apple would implement these things differently than in the iPhone.

I find it interesting that the majority of this thread's conversation revolves around the iPod Touch. What about the Nano, Classic and Shuffle?

I think the new Nanos look kind of weird, but the more I look at them the more they grow on me. I haven't seen one in person, so I'm wondering what video will look like on the tiny screen. I've ordered one nevertheless, so I guess we'll see.

The Classics look pretty good, loads of storage (more than I'd ever need) but nevertheless it's there.

Nothing really to say about the iPod Shuffle, just a whole assortment of new colours and a price drop. Both are welcome.

The iPod Touch is definitely revolutionary, and I see no problem with the 8 and 16GB storage. Of course loads of people have libraries larger than that, but how often do you actively listen to more than 16GB's worth?

I'm very happy with this set of iPod revisions, they're great. Good job Apple. Can't wait for them to arrive where I work (*insert shameless Dick Smith Electronics plug here*)

To quote Apple, the screen is perfect for "entering calendar events, or adding new contacts." so yes, that functionality will be in there.

Sadly, Apple has _removed_ the portion about the calendar events from that info. That's what I was _talking_ about when talking about them removing the feature(s). Apparently, adding contacts is still _in_, which even more looks like actively crippling its features. Why should adding calendar info be any different from adding contact info in regards to simplicity... -> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking...liminates-add-button-from-calendar-297994.php for more information.

I completely agree, fryke, but I jump further. Apple has done a disservice to the full iPod line in general. The video out on the nano and classic no longer work the same as the 5.5G video iPod. The iPod touch is half of what the iPhone is. And the iPhone can only be used with a cell service! Again, yes they are not a charity but their goal is customer satisfaction. What they have done is provide half-baked versions of the iPod line just to get people to buy the iPhone with the jacked up price and cell service. I was hoping to upgrade my iPod with this release but it has made me reconsider.

I just want someone to point out one PDA company that has removed entry and usability from WiFi only product to sell more of their Smartphones? None. Yeah, screens and other bling might be there but notes, contact, email, calendar, etc. doesn't change. I know, Jobs never wanted to make a PDA, but he made the uber-smartphone, thus competing with Palm, Blackberry, Windows CE, etc. He made a PDA. Plain and simple. He gave the public an inferior product, the iPod touch, to push another, the iPhone.

Well... Ever since Apple released the very first iPod, I noticed that it's in my best interest to buy a middle or highend model every other generation. I went from the 2G 10 GB iPod to the 4G 40 GB model and then to the 5.5G 80 GB model. Quite certainly, the current iPod classic line has nothing to lure me in. 80 gigs is still long enough for my media library needs, and I truly want to move to a widescreen touch model next. So I see two options for me:

1.) I'll wait for the next version of the iPod touch (or for updates/hacks that make the iPod touch what it could've been) with more features and more memory.

2.) I'll take a long hard look at the iPhone once it's released. (It's not yet released here, so I can't say what it's feature-set and drawbacks contract-wise will be.)

Either way: If the iPod 5.5G was good for me last year, I'm pretty sure the iPod 6G (classic) is a pretty good iPod this year, for other people. I like the design changes and a thinner 80 GB model sounds truly marvellous. Also, the nano seems like a _really_ nice step forward. I hate that games you've downloaded for a 5G iPod don't run on the fatty, but then again I don't think many people will downgrade from a 5G iPod to a nano.

I'll still have to go try an iPod touch once they arrive in stores here, if only to get a better feeling of what my iPhone will be like. ;)

played with a new nano, and also an 80gb classic.

nano: so small it's getting silly. when people see that it's fat, they don't realise that it's nearly half the size of the old one... and it feels very thin too. video is even more amazing than the old 5G full-fat, as all the UI overlays are in a really nice shiny translucent style. didn't see coverflow on it, as there was no music loaded onto it, though. really nice though. amazing for £100.

80GB classic: bit of a let down actually. i had all my money going for a 160gb, but i'm not so sure now. they feel somewhat out-dated now... really heavy compared to the silly-small nano. and kinda slow as well... - it had a load of music on it, so i tried out coverflow, and it's really sluggish, like the processor really isn't up to it. also, it's not antialiased, so you notice the jaggies a lot. a big meh. i'm gonna have a wait till i can get my hands on a touch, and probably go for that in 16gb. i've never had an ipod i didn't have to media-manage, so i suppose i can carry on.

Apple, kinda, really f**d up with this release. Wouldn't it have been *MUCH* better to forget about the "classic" and instead have an iPod touch with 80 and 160 GB, even if it got quite heavy because of the harddrive? Seems to me, Apple's creating an inbetween-stage with these releases. In a year or two, I'm sure the classic will have to go...

nano: so small it's getting silly. when people see that it's fat, they don't realise that it's nearly half the size of the old one... and it feels very thin too. video is even more amazing than the old 5G full-fat, as all the UI overlays are in a really nice shiny translucent style. didn't see coverflow on it, as there was no music loaded onto it, though. really nice though. amazing for £100.

80GB classic: bit of a let down actually. i had all my money going for a 160gb, but i'm not so sure now. they feel somewhat out-dated now... really heavy compared to the silly-small nano. and kinda slow as well... - it had a load of music on it, so i tried out coverflow, and it's really sluggish, like the processor really isn't up to it. also, it's not antialiased, so you notice the jaggies a lot. a big meh. i'm gonna have a wait till i can get my hands on a touch, and probably go for that in 16gb. i've never had an ipod i didn't have to media-manage, so i suppose i can carry on.
What do you mean "antialias"? WHat does this do?

Qion said:
Are the 8/16GB flash memory units roughly the same cost as the 80/160GB HDDs?
i would imagine so. to be honest though, although they *say* the new Classic is thinner, it has to be microns as even the 'thin' 80gb model i handled was still fairly hefty. in fact, thinking about it, it actually feels like a step back. the interface on the 5g was rapid, very fluid. on the classic, it feels laggy. also the fit and finish with the new aluminium faceplate feels a bit rough around the edges... not as keen. i'd probably plump for an 80gb 5G, if i wanted that sort of size. the new one adds nothing to arena, but actually detracts in its bloat. although my old 40gb fatty is pretty hefty and i managed quite well for years with it, the new ones feel really dated now. i'm all for the touch line being flash only, although it'd be nice to see how much flash they can stick in them. test of time now folks.

nano's are top though, really nice, wonderful piece of engineering.

What do you mean "antialias"? WHat does this do?

difficult to explain in an all encompassing way, and many people have done so already (google is your best bet)... but here goes:

basically, when something on a screen isn't horizontal or vertical, it looks all jaggedy as the pixels have to sit within their grid. anti-aliasing smooths the edges. cover flow has a lot of diagonals, as most of the squares are in perspective. lots of jaggedy lines, as no smoothing is even being attempted. pretty ugly.

like i say, google to put your mind at rest.

I find it interesting that the majority of this thread's conversation revolves around the iPod Touch. What about the Nano, Classic and Shuffle?

I think the new Nanos look kind of weird, but the more I look at them the more they grow on me. I haven't seen one in person, so I'm wondering what video will look like on the tiny screen. I've ordered one nevertheless, so I guess we'll see.

The Classics look pretty good, loads of storage (more than I'd ever need) but nevertheless it's there.

Veljo,

Ditto, all the iPods are calling my name except for the shuffle. I've never wanted that one unless I won one or saw it for really cheap somewhere.

The Nano's are adorable I think and one big reason I may get the Red one, like the classic because of the room, and the Touch for the widescreen and technology. Your right I probably would never use 80GB but it's nice to know it's there if my collection grows. Also I think a lot of people like the idea of having a mini version of their computer on an iPod (I know I do, but I know that is not what the iPod is for)

I'm a few forums and have read so many problems with the Classic freezing and crashing and not working properly, also people are having problems with the Nano as well. This may be isolated to a bad batch or something but I'm going wait a bit until it's all sorted out. People have even returned the faulty ones several times only to get another faulty iPod and Apple hasn't given a solution yet to these people whose posts I've read.

S.

i love my shuffle. it so brilliant, after carting around a full ipod, something that weighs less that the half-length earphones i have, and doesn't need any input from me to work it. listen to it on the tram into town to meet people, leave it in the bottom of my pocket all night then still have music for the drunken tram home again. also, as it weighs nothing, it's great to go running with. effortless chic.

difficult to explain in an all encompassing way, and many people have done so already (google is your best bet)... but here goes:

basically, when something on a screen isn't horizontal or vertical, it looks all jaggedy as the pixels have to sit within their grid. anti-aliasing smooths the edges. cover flow has a lot of diagonals, as most of the squares are in perspective. lots of jaggedy lines, as no smoothing is even being attempted. pretty ugly.

like i say, google to put your mind at rest.
Ohh I see! Thanks

Lt Major Burns,

Okay after reading this now I'm leaning the way of the red Nano iPod. Okay I can also see why the shuffle is a great one too but only want one right now and have always wanted video on an iPod. Also heard the podcast on Macworld that the shuffle is a great device because you can use if for a single function like working out, as a travel thing etc. Also they mentioned something about being able to transfer files or something like that and they weren't sure if the other ones could do that.

S.

With regards to the costs of different types of memory, for now, flash RAM is much more expensive than a hard disk drive. I've seen various comparisons, but a ballpark figure is that it is (approximately) 50 times more expensive. If anyone's curious, here are a few links which address the issues of flash vs. HDD based memory:

http://www.storagesearch.com/semico-art1.html

http://maltiel-consulting.com/Hard_disk_drives_vs_flash.htm

http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2309p020id121946.htm

http://unbeknownst.net/?p=228

Of course, flash memory is quicker in usage and has the advantage of not using any moving components, which should make it more reliable. I've tended to be more tempted by the iPod nano range, rather than the larger iPods, and many of the advantages were related to the type of memory used. The nanos could be smaller, they were (hopefully!) more robust due to not using moving parts, the memory was very fast, and the energy consumption could be lower, increasing battery life.

I'd love to see the whole range of iPods move to flash memory, but I don't think that will happen soon. Prices will need to come down further. Either that or users will have to settle for much smaller storage capacities, but I don't think that will happen, particularly with increased interest in video!

Back