What do you use iChat for?

Sunnz

Who wants a stylus?
Well I don't have many friends that have iChat. (Well, ONE, but I bet she doesn't even know what version of OSX she is using.)

So, I wonder, for those who are like me, do you use iChat?

Currently if I want to use webcam chat with a friend, I need to get them to use Yahoo Messager.

I use iChat to visit wirh my son and Grandaughter (6 Yr) in Maryland. We both have iSight and use it full screen. Works great. I dont remember the last time we spoke on the phone

I use Adium instead of iChat, mainly because Adium does MSN which is the protocol most of my friends are on.

iChat supports Jabber and AIM finally, so you could talk with AIM Buddies, or Google Talk buddies. But, like the other posters, I prefer Adium.

You can use Video through iChat to Aim/Jabber?

I don't think so... the only way for me to check out Video Conference now is to get people to use Yahoo Messager...

You can use Video through iChat to Aim/Jabber?

I don't think so... the only way for me to check out Video Conference now is to get people to use Yahoo Messager...

Done that before but failed with AIM. Again, AIM is not best for video. even you have AOL AIM program and talking to AOL AIM, the video chatting most likely to fail. so i heard that AOL is working on that kind of problem.

I mostly use Yahoo Messsnger for video chatting if my friend dont have iChat.

Done that before but failed with AIM. Again, AIM is not best for video. even you have AOL AIM program and talking to AOL AIM, the video chatting most likely to fail. so i heard that AOL is working on that kind of problem.

I mostly use Yahoo Messsnger for video chatting if my friend dont have iChat.

In my experiences with video on AIM it works like trying to watch a video on dial-up. While it does work, it lags sooo much.

What about Skype? I have the beta version installed but haven't tried it yet.

I iChat with my brother and his family in Boston, Mass and my friend and his family in Collingwood, Ontario.

I've always found the quality of the transmission to be poor. Perhaps I was born too early.

I use iChat to talk with old friends from the Military. My out of US friends appear to favor MSN over Aol/Aim. I use Adium when I need to.

What about Skype? I have the beta version installed but haven't tried it yet.

I iChat with my brother and his family in Boston, Mass and my friend and his family in Collingwood, Ontario.

I've always found the quality of the transmission to be poor. Perhaps I was born too early.
Skype does not yet have Video on Mac yet but only on Windows.:mad:

I use iChat to talk with old friends from the Military. My out of US friends appear to favor MSN over Aol/Aim. I use Adium when I need to.

Because AOL is in USA. AOL stand for America Online. AOL dont branch out to the third world countries. and plus MSN is already installed on Window, so that the first chance they get.

I'm not in the US but still use America Online's chat service. I also use the Israel-based ICQ protocol, although I'm not very Israel-friendly nowadays either. I don't think this should be a _political_ issue, really. Companies can be good/bad and from "good/bad" countries, what I do is I look at the quality of an application and the use I get from it. ICQ was the first widely used instant messaging app on the 'net, and I still have quite a few contacts on there. I very, very rarely do MSN. But not because of political issues, but rather because the app is butt-ugly. I don't do Adium/Fire etc. anymore, because they simply don't support the networks' full feature sets that I need.

Year after year I hope that _someone_ would come up with a standard for instant messaging - period. Right now, we really live in a compatibility-flawed environment. "Can I IM you?" - "Yes, but you have to be on MSN." - "Erh... No, I don't want to install yet another client. I'm on ICQ, AIM and Yahoo." - "No, I only have MSN. And Skype." - "What about Google Talk?" - "Ugh..."
The multi-chatter apps like Adium and Fire address this problem to some extent, but I still think it's overall a bad state this "protocol" is in.

Back