What do you wish Leopard would have?

The ability to bring about world peace. :D

Seriously, I would want ZFS as a default filesystem, but that might have to wait until 10.6 at latest.

That, and continued Classic support (I still have some Classic apps that I use). :p

meta-based finder

true resolution independence

hibernate (close lid of macbook, instant hibernate, doesn't use any power whatsoever. open lid, instant wake up. it must be possible). that way i could close lid of powerbook and not worry that the battery'l run out if i don't power down.

spell checking and correction in spotlight ("'Pohtoshop': no results found")

* Zfs as a bootable filesystem.
* Being able to select to not have any localizations in the system and keep that selection thru all the updates (not going to happen ever unfortunately).
* More gui choices by default
* Not having the conceptual menus referring to applications I don't have (like iPhoto)

Quicksilver-like launching w/ spotlight.

I vote for this. Actually, I think Apple should license QuickSilver from blacktree.com. All those seconds saved in launching/switching/everything-else-that-quicksilver-does really add up.

Locked dock icons that requires holding down the Alt or Command key to remove an icon.

Yes!!

Also, proper, working printing to Windows-shared printers (i.e. works as well and as easily as Windows printing to a mac-shared printer). And the ability to add a persistent network route.

In addition to those, a built-in espresso machine. And beer pump. Also a slot-loading DishwashingSuperDrive really would sell well. How about a free ATM?

Sorry :D

Andy

Spotlight search including Aperture Images!!!!!!

To create any kind of an archive in Aperture is useless because the keywords cannot be found with spotlight and exporting masters and versions to a user-created archive has no point because the XMP sidecar files cannot be read by Aperture when re-importing. Who thought this one up?!!!

I posted quite a bit in an old thread on the topic: http://macosx.com/forums/bobs-place/229437-what-features-would-you-like-see-leopard.html

In brief:

• More multithreading in almost all apps, especially the Finder and Safari.
• Major bug fixes in the Finder and Spotlight.
• Better Smart Folders that are fast and don't randomly refresh when you're trying to use them.
• Dynamic folder icons and better dynamic file icons. <- This one IS in Leopard, at least regarding files. I'm not sure about folders.
• User-definable file tags, sort of like in Gmail.
• List View columns for any and all Spotlight tags, so I can, say, sort images by width in the Finder.

Personally I'm a little wary of the ZFS hype. I'm not sure it presents any real advantages for a desktop OS. Seems to me like it's geared more for servers, and is a bit over-zealous. It sounds awesome, don't get me wrong, but it seems like the real-world benefits are mostly theoretical.

*Every bug fix possible
*Default GUI system for every window and app(so when I install a new interface, i dont need to worry that it only supports Finder, Address Book, etc.)
*Optional Application icons
*iCal app icon has current date (not needing to start the app to get it)
*easy file sharing
*better third party support
*Java 6, or at least Java 5 with everything that Windows Java 5 has
*EZ app making (even more than Automator)
*The Periodic Table of Elements :)

Cyprus Mac Man

Back