What do you wish Leopard would have?

great! thanks for that.

@ fryke
I agree, very padded. But even 30 significant features would be good.

THe features worth it for me are:

- iChat Screen Sharing; no need to drive up to my parents' house every other day to fix something.

- spaces

- the new VoiceOver; I"m dyslexic and use voiceover for long articles. I was going to buy GhostReader but Alex sounds better, and free.

- WebCLips; not sure if it will be useful, but I can think of a few uses.

- TIme Machine; again, I'm not sure how useful this will be. It all depends on how it works.

- I heard boot camp switching works similarly to fast user switching. THey don't list this in the features, but I definitely remember reading on apple's site that it would be as simple as sleeping the Mac, and them waking it up in Windows.

I really look forward to it. ONe small thing though -- didn't Steve mention in the previous keynote that there were a few "top secret" features that were just too good and massive to mention? If this is the complete list, the features have either already been mentioned before, or are too small to be considered top secret.

EDIT: just noticed something else -- in the US leopard is $129 US, in australia it is $158 AU. THis is pretty close to a direct conversion from USD to AUD -- very impressive! Usually places outside the US get screwed with an insane premium, but this is very fair. great stuff :)

I think past version have been $200 AU, haven't they?

Yeah, those big secret features just didn't make the cut. I guess Steve was just putting on his pokerface.

I think one secret feature was ZFS which will ship as read-only but there is already a read/write update beta for developers to test out. I think it'll probably come out within a few months from now. I think Apple realized it's not really that important for most people, even if it is cool.

Oh, also: They announced the big secret features at WWDC 2007. It was WWDC 2006 when they said they couldn't unveil everything.

there's 15 big changes.

the 285 other changes are the most significant though: they're the fixes and little additions and tweaks that build OSX to be more mature. 10.0 and 10.1 had no little tweaks. it was lacking. it's only over time that you start to realise the details.

other than spotlight, the thing that winds me up about going back to panther is all the little menu additions and little tweaks that tiger has that you don't realise you got used to... it's like all the Classic OS lovers, they grew to love the little nuances that built over the course of 15 years to solve every little problem, that were then stripped cs apple didn't have time to cater for every little thing... all hail 10.6's 500+ new features.

also, i realised today while reading even more people bitching about Leopard not supporting macs made 4 years ago, Tiger was the same. it dropped support for Firewire-less macs, which included the 2001 clamshell ibooks up to 366mhz. 4 years later tiger was released and it wasn't supported. no-one said a word....

Well, not no-one. I clearly remember that _every_ big version of Mac OS X was accompanied by two major questions from users: "How much will it cost, what, really 129?!" and "Is that system requirement really true?"... Most of the time, the new OS could still be installed in some or other way.

The price complaint is marginalized when compared to what Vista costs to own. It's really, really ridiculous to whine about most of Apple's software costs, especially iLife and iWork.

(Also, I'm happy in a small way that my G4 cannot run the latest and greatest anymore. Elimination is progress.)

Well, that complaint was back when Apple released a new 129 USD upgrade every year! Also back then you had the feeling that you couldn't simply stay with the older version, because it simply didn't feel _complete_ compared to the newer one. Panther still feels "complete" even when Leopard arrives, so does Tiger. 10.0-10.2: Not so much.
So that complaint had a little more to it, and I haven't heard it much this year.

MSN would be nice, but it is Microsoft that we are talking about. Apple has very limited ties with them (only with the iPod + iTunes, BootCamp, and more recently, Safari). I don't see why they would offer it.

MSN is available for iChat via Jabber, but I don't think it allows for audio/video chat.

Adium is nice and that should have the audio/video support soon.

Don't forget MS Office for Mac. Actually, Apple has really _good_ ties to MS nowadays. But I guess it's not in MS' interest to open MSN for anyone.

also, i realised today while reading even more people bitching about Leopard not supporting macs made 4 years ago, Tiger was the same. it dropped support for Firewire-less macs, which included the 2001 clamshell ibooks up to 366mhz. 4 years later tiger was released and it wasn't supported. no-one said a word....

I seem to remember quite a few people complaining.

The real question is why the arbitrary processor speed requirement? A single 867 is acceptable but dual 800's are not? I completely understand dropping G3 support, but it is kind of disapointing. To me even 10.4 never quite felt "finished". It would have been nice to get one more OS revision out of my beloved G3 hardware. Oh well. I guess I'll just continue to be happy with 10.3, planned obsolence be darned.

I would like Leopard to remember what the Apple-Mac experience is all about. So whether it is ZFS or something else I don't care. I want things to work.

I want silly things such as unarchive to check whether there is enough disk space BEFORE it starts unpacking. I think this is indicative enough.

These little things are what make the Apple-Mac experience a fun experience. Today, in the age of many-bit (64 I think) Leopeard, unarchive does not check if there is sufficient disk space.

? ... Sleep has worked on my Apple notebooks since System 7.1 - and that was the first system I ever used on an Apple notebook. It has also worked on all of my desktop Macs IIRC.

Back