What does the "i" from iMac or iPhoto stand for?

Please let's not even _go_ there. This is bashers' area. Nothing to see here. Stay with the 'i' in iMac or the 'i' in iPhoto.

well every one should be grateful that steve jumped off the "i" bandwagon because safari might have been named iBrowse

I have to put in my vote for INTERNET being the definition. until this thread i had never heard of it being interpersonal.

Well, it most definitely was "internet" in the beginning, starting with the iMac. After that, peripherals and software were designed and named with an "i" to go along with the idea of ease of use, just like the iMac... but the "i" never really changed definition -- the definition was kind of dropped altogether.

I don't think it means anything now other than signifying that the application/device is consumer-oriented for ease of use. I never heard "interpersonal" or any other definition of the "i", but I suppose it's left up to the consumer now to define it -- or, maybe it's not supposed to be defined at all anymore.

...or maybe it still means "internet": internetPod, internetCal, internetChat, internetMovie, internetTunes, internetMac, internetSync, internetPhoto... NAAAH!

In Steve Jobs original keynote address, he said that the "i" stood for many things besides "internet". There was a slide shown with lots of words like "inspire, invent, innovate, imagine, etc." That's what the "i" stands for...many things.

From an old PAGE at Apple;

Most people think that the “i” in iMac refers to its fast networking and easy-to-use Internet features. That’s true. But everything from its unique design to the power of iMac points to something more, something different. The “i” in iMac also stands for innovation, interactivity, intranet, ideas, interesting, illumination, imagination, and, well, you get the picture.

I'm glad I know now, it was just one of those questions :D
And e in eMac does that stand for Education/Educational or something?

The eMac was originally education market only, but was quickly opened up to all markets. There are still education-only eMacs sold as of this fall, with a no-optical drive option. (also an iMac G5 with no optical drive, and smaller 'conventional' IDE drive - it's cheaper) Why would anyone buy a computer with no optical drive, except for lab use?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Jumped off the bandwagon? Hardly! iChat, iSync, iCal, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iLife, iMac, iPod... aaah!

If i am not mistaken, all of those things (with the exception of iLife) were released before Safari

(iLife came out at the same expo and was only named such because it had iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, and iDvd on it)

Back