what FTP program do you advise?

CYBERDUCK! :D ::ha:: LOL, just kidding... that proram sucks.

I love Transmit. I use Transmit 1.5 in Classic mode, though, because it's not limited like Transmit 2 if it's unregistered.

Although trying to ftp from the command line can be interesting...

I don't get why people want two-pane FTP clients. We've got the Finder to select files, only a window that reflects the server is needed. (Yes, you can disable the local pane in those apps, I guess, but still...)

I guess most of the FTP apps 'work', so: Pick the one you like most. However, I have to stress this point again: The Finder is the ideal application for handling files and file transfers, so I hope Apple will integrate FTP and SFTP up-/downloading (and file handling, permissions etc.) into the Finder. Soon. Guess they want to promote WebDAV, but that's not really the solution for us FTPers. ;-)

I use Fetch. Used to use Transmit but came across some problem that was a deal breaker for me. Can't remember what it was now of course.

I agree that the Finder is really where it needs to be. I can only assume Apple has some reason for not fully implementing FTP upload via the Finder. Maybe because it would be SO easy that the lower end user could really cause some trouble. Not a great argument, but Apple has a history of catering to the lower end user.

i've always had problems with large amounts of data with transmit. i would get an error about half way through the transfer. not to mention it's unbearably slow. i didn't even realize this until i used the command line to do some things.
now i use rbrowser lite. it's free and fast and great.
i use transmit to open the files directly into bbedit without downloading them, though. that's a nice touch. at least i didn't completely waste my money =)

Back