What happened to iPhoto??

cbmeeks

Registered
A friend of mine bought the 5-user family pack of Tiger for his computer and mine. We both decided to do a clean format and install. Well, all is good but we can no longer find iPhoto. I looked on the disc but couldn't find it.

Is it not included with Tiger?

Thanks

cbmeeks

hmmm...that is weird.

I guess I say that because my friend had it on his 10.2 system. But he says he never bought iLife. But then again, he did buy the computer used. So, maybe it was loaded somewhere else.

cb

iPhoto is part of a 10.2 or 10.3 install, but now is not included with 10.4 Tiger
You will need to either purchase the iLife suite, or you could do a custom install from a 10.3 install, and just choose the iApps. iPhoto version 2.something should still work with Tiger.

Are you sure iPhoto is part of 10.3? I think it comes on the install cds when you get your mac, but I don't think it is part of the OS distribution. Not sure about 10.2 either, but that was so long ago...

Assuming you have the system install CDs/DVD that came with the computer, you should be able to pull it off of there. But I'm pretty sure that if you just bought 10.3 or 10.2 from a retailer, you won't find any of the iLife stuff besides iTunes.

10.3 does include iPhoto, but it's version 3 (which was the last "free" version of iPhoto). Version 4 comes with iLife 04, and version 5 comes with iLife 05.

There is no more free, downloadable version of iPhoto, sadly. Just as iMovie used to be free, it is not anymore and is now a part of the iLife suite. iTunes is the only free, downloadable iLife application available, probably because it is a major factor in iPod sales.

Either way: With any more or less current Mac you "have" iPhoto. Either through Mac OS X 10.2/10.3 or the bundled iLife suite (no recent Mac comes without it) on the installation disks that came with the Mac. If a used Mac comes without original installation disks, that's either a sign of the previous user having lost them (bad) or sold them separately (a crime, actually).

A friend of mine bought the 5-user family pack of Tiger for his computer and mine.
Out of curiosity, can someone confirm to me whether the notion of "family-pack" applies also to "a friend"?

family-pack includes 5 licences. It doesn't matter if you are related to eachother. A family pizza doesn't necessarily have to be eaten by family members only. ;)

iLife does come with os 10.4 when you buy a new apple system (Powerbook, ibook, PowerPC, etc,.).

I too was disappointed now that I have to buy iLife ... or reinstall it from 10.3 just for iPhoto (the only application i use in the entire iLife suite.

::evil::

aicul said:
Out of curiosity, can someone confirm to me whether the notion of "family-pack" applies also to "a friend"?

As long as the friend lives in the same house as you, and his computer is located there as well.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9640Z/A
* Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons sharing the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium. This license does not extend to students who reside at a separate on-campus location or to business or commercial users.

How about this situation: iLife must run from the bootable drive and it takes up over 3 Gigs. Can you run/install ONLY iPhoto5 and not the other apps like garage band, etc?

If you have the iLife installer CD/DVD, yes.

If not, you may be able to select individual components from the Restore disk that came with the computer, or you may be able to use Pacifist to extract just what you need.

Well now I'm glad I have my iLife '05 DVD. Hopefully it will work with Tiger (whenever I get a chance and the money to get Tiger)

Back