what happened to VirtualPC7?

Sorry I didn't understand what you were asking. Now to start off some of the music videos I want to playback aren't on any other music site but Launch.com. Now Launch.com won't work on Mac OS X and here is what I tried. I tried every browser including all Mozilla brands, Safari, IE for Mac and Opera. I tried using the user agent switcher in both Opera and Mozilla via plug-in. There currently is no way to save or find the link via launch.com to playback via anything else besides the web based player. So using the user agent switcher I can get past the error message saying that my system isn't supported and start the media playback but nothing ever plays back and it ends up the the Java gets messed up and ends up giving me an error about Mozilla Bin or something like that.

Trust me I've tried everything. The most common music videos I play from rollingstone but I've missed launch and ever since Yahoo bought it out even Windows Media 9 for windows never worked at first even though it works now.

Now if anyone knows a way to get launch.com to work with Mac OS X 10.3.5 I would be very happy to be told but from where I'm sitting now it just aint gonna happen today.

I despise websites that do browser checking... it's one thing to let you know that the site might not be compatible, but chances are that your "rare" web browser would work just fine with the proper plugins.

My mom wanted to look at HGTV's website the other day and it told her that the [movie] tour of the house wasn't compatible with Macintosh computers! I looked at the code for the page... 90% of the code was Javascript to detect what browser you were using. Basically if it wasn't IE 5 or higher for Windows you were out of luck.

I take it you tried Netscape 4.7 like the page suggests?

ufff.. I don't pay $99 for an update. Updates are all somehow messed up esspecially when they are branded Microsoft. How much was the full version without any windows os? $129?

AppleInsider claims that VirtualPC 7 was released under pressure and lacks planned features such as the native graphic card support and some more features.
Read more about it here

Yeah, read it before and I think that the developers are just rooks. "x86 run nearly at a native speed".. Yeah right! But still a good strategy to get investors.

Native speed? Native to what? "x86 at 1GHz" means very little considering Intel's and AMD's 1GHz CPUs has vastly different performance (AMD's were typically faster). And if I have a dual processor G4 PowerMac, would I get 80% of my total processing power, or only of one CPU? I could SURELY live with 80% of 2.5GHz (in Intel terms or in AMD terms) for running even intensive multimedia apps in Win2K.

VirtualPC 7 on the other hand has been rather unanimously bemoaned as "slow as molasses" (trying to be pleasant here :)) so 10-30% speed increase still makes it "slow as tar". Perhaps VPC7.1 will include some of the other rumored features and show another 10-30% increase on top of the current boost, and that might make it reasonably useful.

I think VPC 6.x is a very good emulation software. Sure, it doesn't 'play' at 80% speed (of whatever 100% would be...) - but expecting that would be naïve, to say the least.

If you need Windows running at full speed: Buy a PC, they're cheap. If you only need Windows a few times a year or for some specialty software not available for Mac OS X, VPC just might be the solution. I don't agree to bash VPC 7 before having tested it against VPC 6.x on my own. And compatibility with the G5 processor _was_/_is_ urgent, and I rather see MS release the thing without all that fancy stuff people would bash anyway ("waah! it does _not_ play Doom III at more than 10 fps?!"), because the absence of a good Windows emulation on the G5 _really_ hurts Apple.

Slow as tar? Depends on your needs, really. My version with Win2K runs quite smoothly on my PowerBook. Yes, I don't run 3D applications or games on it, but then I'm not an idiot, either.

From what I saw on the demo at Mactopia I think this is a better release than previous attempts. I like the native printing and start menu in the dock. Maybe that was in previous versions though.

Performance is indeed completely subjective. Actually, I take that back, it's truly objective, but we all interpret "fast" differently. Enough semantics.

I've run a bit of VPC6. On my iBook it is unquestionably slow as molasses. (640 RAM, G4 800). On my DUAL 1 GHZ 1 GIG RAM G4, WinXP was surprisingly "decent". I did fairly undemanding stuff like Access database and a few proprietary things that were similar. It was fine. Not something I'd want to do all the time, but decent. I've got to believe VPC7 on any G5 (iMac or otherwise) would be even better than my experience.

Interestingly, I found Win98 to run worse than WinXP. I guess I would have figured XP to be more bloated and slower, but not for me. Anyone else? Win98 performs much slower for me.

So, I'd run Word, Access, Explorer, ItsDeductible and similar apps without hesitation. Games, 3D or even Photoshop (not that I've tried) would not be something you'd want to bother with in VPC.

Back