what happened to VirtualPC7?

Microsoft announced the prices for the european market. The standalone version of VirtualPC7 will cost 159EURO. Pffffffff.. :mad:

The printing directly to the Mac's default printer is nice. The Dock start menu was there in 6.x before.

Zammy-Sam said:
Microsoft announced the prices for the european market. The standalone version of VirtualPC7 will cost 159EURO. Pffffffff.. :mad:

€159 isn't too bad. I think the VPC 6 cost more, didn't it? I only wish they would allow academic pricing for students as well so that it would be more affordable.

Jason said:
Soooo is it out yet?
Office 2004 Professional is now available. Price: $499 including Office Standard Edition and Virtual PC for Mac Version 7 with Windows XP Professional.
This bundle is quite ok, if you consider that the Office Standard Edition costs $399, you get Virtual PC 7 and WinXP for $100 instead of $249 as a single package.
Anyone who is going to buy it and test for macosx? :D

After my experience of trying it out the last time with that Airport Extreme Sony card thingy, no thanks. Get someone else to do your dirty work Zammy :D.

Viro said:
After my experience of trying it out the last time with that Airport Extreme Sony card thingy, no thanks. Get someone else to do your dirty work Zammy :D.
:)
But I was willing to pay you one year of free macosx email if it would have worked. Maybe now I would propose more?! ;)

What ever happened to the PC cards? Software emulation is cheaper, but you have to compromise too much performance. I'd of thought that by now things would be extremely cheap so software emulation wouldn't be necessary? If $500 & $600 video cards are the norm surely people would pay that much for an integrated PC on say a PCI or PCI-x bus.

Oscar Castillo said:
What ever happened to the PC cards? Software emulation is cheaper, but you have to compromise too much performance. I'd of thought that by now things would be extremely cheap so software emulation wouldn't be necessary? If $500 & $600 video cards are the norm surely people would pay that much for an integrated PC on say a PCI or PCI-x bus.

In my old PowerMac I had a RealPC (I think that was the brand) 486 PC card... the thing ran great. I could just hit a key combo and switch which computer I was using.

jonmichael23 said:
I am also excited about the new virtual pc. I have a 1ghz iMac, and any kind of speed upgrade would be nice for it. It's not so much that I use it, but I occasionally like to look at new Winamp releases, use MSN Messenger on Windows (since microsoft has made the mac version seriously crippled in comparison), etc. I only have 512 mb ram so I've assigned 256 to vpc, along with 16 mb for video emulation. And I'm running Windows Xp Pro, so yes......any kind of speed upgrade at all would be a real nice suprise :rolleyes: . For as sluggish as XP is on my computer, I still think its neat when friends come over and I'm able to say, "hey look, its windows, inside a window! hahaha". Of course, that is if I'm not running it full screen :) .

Gaim or aMSN, man!!! free, open source, and i don't know anyone who would spend 249$ on something to use MSN and look at winamp...but that's just me...

btoth said:
In my old PowerMac I had a RealPC (I think that was the brand) 486 PC card... the thing ran great. I could just hit a key combo and switch which computer I was using.
It makes more sense than having VirtualPC. I had Mac and PC compatability back when I had my Amiga. Three systems in one and hardware based. It was the best. Innovation like that seems to have died among 3rd party peripheral manufacturers. Sure you can do the 2 or 3 systems with the KVM deal, but there's no reason it can't be all in the same box. Sun also had a PC on a card solution for their Sparc systems. Not sure if they continued developing that.

Have you seen PC processors lately? Look at the size of the heatsink/fan on those things. They're huge!!

I think the main thing stopping people from producing cards like that anymore is the power requirements of current x86 CPUs and the heat problems.

Viro said:
Have you seen PC processors lately? Look at the size of the heatsink/fan on those things. They're huge!!

I think the main thing stopping people from producing cards like that anymore is the power requirements of current x86 CPUs and the heat problems.
If someone is willing to settle for software emulation then they certainly aren't looking for the latest and greatest. And if they are I'm sure someone can come up with a design that vents rearward like some nVidia processors.

It is actually cheaper to just buy a PC to run those PC apps you need. You will never match the experience of running software on it's native platform.

Viro said:

The Pentium M is a nice and cool CPU.

Viro said:

Er, the 5 lb heatsinks and 7 fans on my G5 at work aren't tiny... ;-)

But, yeah, Intel's finally being forced to come to terms with their clock rate scaling issues because it's just gotten ridiculous in the PC world. The next gen of Pentiums will be a lot more Pentium-M like than Pentium 4...

And for an emulation card, a Pentium-M would sure be quite nice, too. Heck: Why does nobody do this? I'm sure this could be done quite nicely, actually. The card doesn't even need much! A Pentium-M or similar processor (I'm sure Transmeta would be nice, too?), a bit of RAM (256 MB soldered and a slot?)... The rest can be shared with the Mac somehow... Then again, while VPC's speed increases if you move to a faster Mac, such a card wouldn't. It'd be old quite fast - and you wouldn't maybe want to upgrade that with every new Mac you're buying...

Back