What have you named your mac?

Noonster

Registered
Was round my brothers house tonight and noticed he has labeled his drive "Angel".

Just wondered what others have called theirs??
Please state why / how you came up with the name !!!

Hes also now telling me that he cant believe i havnt thought of a name and better get thinking as 'apparently' i have to name it LOL.

I haven't named the hard drive but the machine itself is called 'Omppu' which is a diminutive from of apple in finnish.

My powerbook hard drive now = tao
work macs .. Panther, Tigger .. and Lost Sould, and NOYFB
Plus iPod hard drives... mini = iPod RAID, and 20 G = iChing

Powerbook will get a new hard drive next week, and I think it'll have 4 partitions, so I'm unsure what to name those ... something else than "MacIntosh HD" for sure

lurk said:
I haven't named the hard drive but the machine itself is called 'Omppu' which is a diminutive from of apple in finnish.

Thats the bit i ment named - edited first post ;)

I've identified my Quadra 650 as "QuadBox" on my network. As for my Moto StarMax 4000, I haven't come up with anything for a name.

'macfly' here. He (yes, my tibook is MALE!) took the name of my first mac: ibook. I transfered the name, because the tibook has a built-in airport card and suits much more to macfly.

LOL.

I named my powerbook "Sierra", and my Hard Disk "Too Cliché". It's a thing I have, every time I write a new song/poem the title becomes the name of my hard Disk.

My G4 tower is called 'G4' oddly enough....

My winbolws lappy is known as winlap in my LAN.

Computer's name is "Snuffalupagus" after the character on Sesame Street.

Hard drives are Apprehension, Seduction and Confusion for no reason other than thay they end in "-ion."

my current thinkpad is called foon.
foon = spork
spork = spoon/fork
foon > spork

i still havent decided on a name for the powerbook im getting....(less than 2 months now! w00t!)

My first Powerbook was called Romulus. My iBook is called Motig, my work machine is called Remus and my current Powerbook is called Komek. Guess where the names are from? :)

My Dual G5 at work is called Nanuq on the network and also for the Hard Drive. Nanuq is eskimo for polar bear [which is the largest of the bear family] and it [G5] is a beast!

At home I have an iMac, it's called Kavik, which is eskimo for wolf. Why? Because it's smaller, but still a great hunter in it's own right. So it fits.

Surpise surpise, my parents imac, is called imac. my old g4 tower, is called g4. and you guessed it, my g5 (in sig) is called g5.

OS X on my PB is Freebird, OpenBSD on the PB is Archer, then all my other machines follow the names of Piper Aircraft, Dakota, Warrior, Commanche, Apache, Aztec, Cadet, Pacer, etc. Piper named thier airplane after Native Americans and such.

Well, most of them are named after mathematicians. I carried it over from my time at the Geometry Center. Here are all the current names of my computers running an Apple operating system:
  • Milnor (PowerBook G3, Mac OS X v10.2)
  • Feynman (ThinkPad, Rhapsody 5.1)
  • Euclid (iMac, Mac OS X v10.2)
  • Ricci (PM 7500, Rhapsody 5.6)
  • Riemann (DEC Celebris, Rhapsody 5.1)
  • Fermi (PM 7100, Mac OS 8.6)
  • Lorentz (PM 8100, Mac OS 8.1)
  • HAL9000 (Quadra 950, Mac OS 8.1)
  • Bonnet (Quadra 700, A/UX 3.0)
And here is some of the names of my other (non-Apple) computers:
  • Gauss (SGI Indy, IRIX 6.2)
  • Morse (SGI Indigo, IRIX 5.3)
  • Euler (SGI Indigo, IRIX 5.3)
  • Archie (short for Archemedes, SPARCclassic, Solaris 7)
That isn't all my systems, just the ones up and running enough to be named.

my naming usually follows some show, movie, cartoon, etc.
It used to be all strongbad names (stronbad, yellowdart, trogdor, thecheat, bubbs).
But then I rebuilt it and went with seinfeld-related names (pennypacker, varnson, vandelay - from the Puerto Rico Day Parade episode).

Now I'm onto zoolander names - HD: Le Tigre (and now that I think about it, it's just preparing itself for 10.4....)
and my wifi network is mugatu.

I don't like to change my HD name very much at all though - i've found that it - at the very least - messes up Dreamweaver with it's Sites. When the HD name changes, all the sites have to be redone. not a huge deal, but enough that I don't like dealing with it much.

my computer is just called quiksan

I got an iPod as a gift and knew I'd have trouble with the kids wanting to use it so I named it Not Yours. ;)
It didn't work :( :D

iBook is icebook
emac is hoot gibson (with Monster's Inks Geri as the icon)
compaq server is linuks

they are all emotional, spur of the moment decisions made as I was setting the machines up.

Back