What is the most popular Hard Disk Name?

Which do you Have?

• Mac HD

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Macintosh HD

Votes: 41 25.3%
  • Joe HD (With your name where Joe is)

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Mac OS Drive or Mac OS X Drive

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 104 64.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I always name my primary drive after the computer (the one I am on now is Euclid, the one next to it is Fermi, and so on). I've alway felt that computers should be given identities.

Originally posted by RacerX
I always name my primary drive after the computer (the one I am on now is Euclid, the one next to it is Fermi, and so on). I've alway felt that computers should be given identities.

...absolutely. mine is named lisa (after lisa simpson ...) :) :)

I'm administering 10 macs, and they've all got some derivative of mac+something funky. for example Mactastic, Macattack, Imaculate, Macaroni, and my own venerable animal is, of course, called Sysmac (who's the boss! :))

zeppo

I Used to have my drives name as: fhsjsdfg or dfgskjl or lkzfbxj etc.. Then I realized that it wasn't very clever, nowadays it is only just iMac (the previous puter was PowerPc 4400)

Like iMac [Classic]

(the system's name is usually included if more than one partion)

Don't ask. They just popped into my head when I was naming hard drives a while ago.

OS X HD: Seduction
OS 9 HD: Apprehension
Documents HD: Submission
DV/Scratch HD: Confusion

:( Guess I'm just boring, since my HDDs have standard names

Quicksilver:
MacOS X 10.1.4
MacOS 9.2.2
Local File Server
Projekte
Photoshop Scratchdisk
Swapdisk

TiBook:
MacOS X 10.2

G3:
MacOS X 10.1.4
Fileserver Alpha
Fileserver Beta
Fileserver Gamma

and so on...

Now I feel so...common....PC like...uninspired.....need....new....HDD......names.....

but I have funny names for the intranet hosts, like:
Firewall Linux machine: minas.tirith.middleearth.net
(the last outpost in front of the evil internet)
Router: argonath.middleearth.net
(the doorway to adventures)
fileserver: white-library.middleearth.net
(where you will find everything)
quicksilver: osgiliath.middleearth.net
(the capital of the domain)
tibook: helmsdeep.middleearth.net
(the outpost)
ibook: shire.middleearth.net
(the colorful, shiny place where you everything is slow, calm and nice)
linux webserver: isen.middleearth.net
(the river providing the realm with life)

does that make up for the boring hdd names???

Macintosh HD. Been that way since the first LC III (or II, I can't remember) I used, and never had a good enough reason to change it. I'm glad I have that option, though. It looks much better than C: or D: :D

For a while, I named my Windows drives after planets and moons. I named them for their relative size, so the 1.2GB drive was Mercury, the 20GB drive was Jupiter, and the 750MB drive was Luna.

Luna was my boot drive, so it was listed as "Luna C:" which is funnier if you read it out loud... "Lunacy" ;)

For my iMac, I have Pierre X and Pierre 9. For my iBook, I just have X so its just Lappy. For a while, I was on a kick with their name then the number of times I have done a reformat/clean install. I stoped after 3. Of course, I don't even use Classic any more. But I figured I won't re-partition and remove 9 till I install Jag.

Let's see how good my memory is...

OS 9:
Oldschool

OS X:
mr X
X-files

Misc HD:
Brokkoli

iPod:
Breath of Heaven

I have different ones for all my comps, but these are the ones that come to mind(not home now)

Originally posted by RacerX

Same here, Currently it is Apollo for my boot drive. (that's just my naming convention for all my computers)

Others on my G3 are Artemus, Zeus, Rhino, one other one(can't remember the name :D) and Swap for my VM drive

I'm sitting on an NT box at work right now :mad:

My main drive is Daedalus, my large drive where I've moved the users folders to is Icarus, and my swap drive is Odysseus. Daedalus used to be in two partitions Daedalus and Helios before I decided to try a fresh install of OS X back around Christmas.

I'm thinking that when I eventually get a new computer, perhaps they'll be named after just under majorly known mathematicians...

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
I'm sitting on an NT box at work right now :mad:
I feel your pain. I do the same thing every day. Work on OS X at home, then go suffer NT at work...

Back