What is this? G3 Mac.

Sogni

*gone*
We acquired an older Mac at the office... but I have no idea what it is.

It's basically a (big) box that sits horizontally, it's beige, and it says "Power Mac G3" (or was that Power PC G3?).

It has a Floppy Drive, CD Drive and Zip Drive.

I can't find any more identifiable marks on it. I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow.

Any idea if it can run OSX (Jaguar at least)?

Oops, now I even mixed up jaguar with panther... oh my. Seems all is about panther lately but this time I was wrong.

It sounds like a Beige G3 Desktop to me. Would be 233, 266, or 300 MHz.

I ran Jaguar fine on a Beige G3/300 with a Zip, CD, Floppy, 6 GB hard drive and a BTO video card (iXMicro 3D 8 MB VRAM + 6 MB VRAM on MoBo).

Overclocking those suckers is easy - check it out at xlr8yourmac.com - I had mine to 333 with no problems.

PS - Sogni, I have a Performa 550 with 36 MB RAM and a 200 MB HD that needs a new home, too (as well as a Mac Classic upgraded to a 25 MHz 68030 with 4 MB RAM and a 160 MB HD and a Performa 6200CD with 32 MB RAM and a 1 GB HD)...

The Beige G3 desktop can run Jaguar, but cannot run Panther, Does not come with USB, although you can install a USB PCI card. The internal floppy does not work with OS X (has anyone ever found a way to get the internal floppy to work again?)
This is a model that requires a HD boot partition of less than 8 GB, to install OS X
It can be upgraded to 768 MB memory (3 slots, 256 MB in each)

bobw, your link just goes to the front page of the site. :p

So it's just a G3? No model number or model name? Weird...

Glad to see all the specs - especially about it running OS X! :D
You think it'll run Panther if I install a USB card?
No idea what Mhz it has now... But it sounds like a B Revision since it has the built-in Zip.

Hopefully I can get an upgrade card and better video with a VGA plug!!! I'm having trouble with the Mac to VGA converter (or whatever its called) getting it to work with the Monitor and a rez the Mac goes into when running OSX Setup.

Man, I hope this works! This one would be for my remote office as all I have there at the moment is a pathetic Win2K box.

Thanks for the help everyone! :)

Humm, the link works for me. In any case, GraphicUmp's link is the same. The code name for this machine is Gossamer.

Open the Appke System Profiler and that will tell you what MHz it is and ram info, etc.

As for upgrades, any available you'll find here;
http://eshop.macsales.com/

It will definitely run Jaguar, not sure about Panther because of no built in USB. But, the eshop run by Larry O'Connor, is looking into a way of installing Panther on non USB machines, so look around there. Maybe Xpost or whatever he calls it, will be updated.

Cool! Thanks a lot! :)

I'll be ok with Jaguar - it's just that I got used to Panther so quickly it's going to be hard going back and forth! But it's a Free Mac that runs OS X (once I figure it out)! I can't be too picky! hehe :)

I think in time there will be something that will allow you to install Panther. Keep checking that site I mentioned.

Sogni said:
Cool! Thanks a lot! :)

I'll be ok with Jaguar - it's just that I got used to Panther so quickly it's going to be hard going back and forth! But it's a Free Mac that runs OS X (once I figure it out)! I can't be too picky! hehe :)

Just to help with your video, I noticed in your pix that the Video RAM has not been upgraded, your system has only 2 MB of vram, there's an empty slot between the RAM slots and the I/O card, which takes a chip which is an SGRAM SO-DIMM (not laptop memory, but video ram), either 2 or 4 MB, which you may be able to get through that esales link.
Adding a USB card will not allow a Panther instal yetl, until somebody like XPostFacto figures it out, as bobw mentioned (hopefully won't take too long, and you'll be running Panther on this!)

OWC Larry's weekly email said that Ryan Rempel has gotten Panther to install and work on a 7300, so look for a new release of XPostFacto soon that allows installation of Panther on legacy Macs :)

And DeltaMac is right - you want to upgrade your VRAM. If you add in a video card, btw, the VRAM on the card is added to the VRAM on the MoBo. My Beige G3 was a build-to-order with the iXMicro 3D video card in it - with 8 MB VRAM - and the MoBo's VRAM upgraded to 6 MB, which gave me a total of 14 MB. Ran Jaguar pretty well.

And there are 3 revisions of Beige G3: A, B and C. Mine had the C ROM chip - it was $77D.45F6 - OWC has all the info on the revisions.

Hmm, that computer looks strangely like my sister's upgraded 7300. No surprise there, though, since the beige G3's were basically the 7300 (for the desktop models) or the 86/9600 with a remodeled architecture.

As of right now, you can't run Panther on that machine, but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle because you'll probably be using it with Remote Desktop anyway. Ask KSV about tips in this arena, he (fairly) recently did something like this with some beige G3 towers.

Yep! That's it!
So those two computers are one and the same??? Guy I share the office from has the tower version! So we have the same computer! And he has Jaguar on it! Cool! :)

I'm definitely going to upgrade this as I have living proof that it works with OSX (Jaguar)!
At least in ram.

Unless of course I get a Power Book (might happen, cross your fingers!). :D

Back