What is this? G3 Mac.

Yeah, it's just a regular ol' beige G3 with a little less expandability than a tower. Shouldn't choke on OS X or anything.

Trying to run OS X 10.0 on my old Blue & White G3 drove me friggin' nuts... That's when I upgraded to my G4.

I understand why people still try to run OS X on these old machines, but don't kid yourself into thinking it will be either fast or fun... It will be cool and functional, but that's it!

My 2¢...

TommyWillB said:
Trying to run OS X 10.0 on my old Blue & White G3 drove me friggin' nuts... That's when I upgraded to my G4.

I understand why people still try to run OS X on these old machines, but don't kid yourself into thinking it will be either fast or fun... It will be cool and functional, but that's it!

My 2¢...

Funny....I run Panther on a B&W G3/550 every day - it's more than functional. In fact, it's barely slower than the Sawtooth G4/450 I use at work.

I just installed Jaguar! Doing all the software updates now.

Not as speedy but defenatly functional! More so than the Win2K 800Mhz PC! :D

It's a 266Mhz PowerPC G3 with 160MBs RAM and a 4 Gig IDE Hard Drive! Will defenatly upgrade at least the RAM and Hard Drive.

The Keyboard and Mouse are flaky tho.

Will be getting a USB card and trashing the kb and mouse.

I can trash the PC too now! haha :)

And hopefully I'll be getting a Power Book this week (crossing fingers). :) :) :)

Sogni said:
Speaking of which...

Can I Install PC133 Ram into it (2x 256MB Chips)?
How about a 30 Gig Hard Drive?

You can - both. The RAM will only work at PC66 speed. Oh - and you can only install it if it's low-profile. Standard height RAM DIMMs will NOT allow the portion of the case that holds the power supply and optical/floppy drives to close properly. Plus, it'll push hard on the RAM, probably messing up the socket.

I had a 40 GB hard drive installed in place of the stock 6 GB in mine - worked fine, with no data loss issues.

GraphicUmp said:
You can - both. The RAM will only work at PC66 speed. Oh - and you can only install it if it's low-profile. Standard height RAM DIMMs will NOT allow the portion of the case that holds the power supply and optical/floppy drives to close properly. Plus, it'll push hard on the RAM, probably messing up the socket.

I had a 40 GB hard drive installed in place of the stock 6 GB in mine - worked fine, with no data loss issues.

Apple recommends for use with OS X, that if you install a hard drive larger that 8 GB, you must partition the drive into a minimum of 2 partitions, and that the first partition will be less than 8 GB. That partition is the one you would use to install the OS X system.

Before you go about attempting to upgrade the hard drive, you have to see if it will just take the drive.

Open the Apple System Profiler and find the information for the built-in graphics card. If under Card Model it says GT-A or GT-B, you will need to follow this guide to upgrade the internal hard drive. Otherwise you should be fine.

arden said:
Before you go about attempting to upgrade the hard drive, you have to see if it will just take the drive.

Open the Apple System Profiler and find the information for the built-in graphics card. If under Card Model it says GT-A or GT-B, you will need to follow this guide to upgrade the internal hard drive. Otherwise you should be fine.

This article has a lot of good info, but much of the install hints for an MT (minitower) don't apply to the system in this thread (a desktop). although electrically the same, the hardware setup is completely different, and these instructions would confuse someone trying a step-by-step drive replacement. Also, the video chip in the system only determines the revision of the logic board, and that determines if a slave (2nd IDE on the same bus) can be installed. Makes little difference if a single drive is being replaced. (Adding in a second IDE HD, makes copying files much more convenient, however, but not possible on a rev 1 logic board, right?)
The pictures show a logic board with no internal SCSI hooked up, which is PROBABLY a rev 2 or later.

Back