What mac os?

What Mac OS

• other please state in post!

Results are only viewable after voting.
lol... I PREFER to work on Mac OS X 10.4.... but I really DO have a soft spot for System 7.x .... very clean, while still having a good amount of features. I suppose it's only real downfall when compared with other "classic" Mac OS systems is that when you copy files, you can't multitask.

8.6 was the pinnacle of the Mac OS as far as I'm concerned. I don't actually work in it anymore, since time has marched on and pulled me along, but I was very happy with it back in the day. I still don't really like OS X, but I use it because I have to use something.

In OS X's defense, Exposé is freakin' awesome, and it's nice that I can (and do) go months without rebooting. :)

9.1 was pretty solid, too, but I still think OS 9 should've been called 8.7 and was only called "9" so they could get to 10 and use their stupid roman numeral...

While I did select 10.4, in regards to Classic I would pick System 7.5.x (because it runs nice and fast on something like my Quadra 650 and is free from Apple :D), System 7.6.1 (because it brings a lot of what OS 8 had brought without the extra bloat...besides, the system hard disk on a 68K Mac won't use HFS+), and Mac OS 8.6 (because it implemented a lot of what OS 9 had, again without the excess bloat). :D

10.3 was just clean effortless, simple, powerful, cool, and had little or no fault, that i can think of. 10.4 seemed like incomplete features for gimmicks sake.

Lt Major Burns said:
10.3 was just clean effortless, simple, powerful, cool, and had little or no fault, that i can think of. 10.4 seemed like incomplete features for gimmicks sake.

Well, I have to admit I do like Spotlight now. And I couldn't do without the Weather widget in Dashboard. That's how I find out if my sons need to bundle up or not (of course at this time of the year in Miami, it's pretty much just light clothing and the occasional umbrella :p).

I'm actually stuck with 10.3 right now (until I buy a Macbook) and it is my favorite. But the more I hear and see of 10.4 the more I think i'll be leaning towards it in the near future.

So no one else uses a unique (not listed) version of the Mac OS? Wow.

Well, my list of Apple OS systems gives a pretty good idea of what I like... two systems running Mac OS X v10.3.9 (Beige G3 and Pismo), two running Mac OS X v10.2.8 (iMac and Wallstreet), three running Mac OS 8.6 (8100, 2300c, 3400c), one running Mac OS 8.1 (Quadra 950), two running Rhapsody 5.6 (8600, 7500), one running Rhapsody 5.1 (ThinkPad) and one A/UX 3.0.1 (Quadra 700).

Of course you could say that I also run an additional version of Mac OS 8.6 in Blue Box on the 8600... and then we could add a copy of Mac OS 9.2.1 on the iMac for Classic.

Yep, I seem to like Rhapsody and Mac OS 8.6 quite a bit considering how old they are. :D I only use A/UX when I need to run something in System 7.

I gotta say, and it makes me all the more trendy and unhip, but I adore Tiger. Dahboard & Expose, while "gimmicky", have been GREAT assets to my productivity. I've probably saved 10 days total of my life just using Spotlight to find a file, rather than navigating my awful, convoluted file structures.

I suppose one could argue that Spotlight is enabling my bad habits, but hey, kudos to Apple for outthinking my sloth.

Not to mention the benefits of Bonjour over Rendezvous.

adambyte said:
lol... I PREFER to work on Mac OS X 10.4.... but I really DO have a soft spot for System 7.x .... very clean, while still having a good amount of features. I suppose it's only real downfall when compared with other "classic" Mac OS systems is that when you copy files, you can't multitask.

Until OSX, my favorite was System 7. It was a very clean OS, as you stated.

hmmm ... running 10.4 and 10.3 both daily, os 9 sometimes, solaris for the fun of it, windows xp professional when needed, but i'm really looking to get something to have os 7 and os 8 in them ... :)

I am running Tiger now, but I gotta say, I probably like Panther more. I can't really think of a useful application that came in Tiger - for me anyways. I know exactly where everything is, and I don't know what it's called, so spotlight is limited for me. I don't even have dashboard on my dock anymore..

Giaguara said:
hmmm ... running 10.4 and 10.3 both daily, os 9 sometimes, solaris for the fun of it, windows xp professional when needed, but i'm really looking to get something to have os 7 and os 8 in them ... :)

I have an old Motorola StarMax 4000 that I've been wanting to give to someone who would value such a machine. This version is the minitower version and has a 160 MHz PPC 604e processor. I've upped the RAM to 128 MB. This system should do superbly with Mac OS 7.6.1 and 8.1. It will also run System 7.5.5.

Send me a PM if you're interested....maybe we can figure something out. This also includes a keyboard and a mouse.

Wow nixgeek :) I think I'll first make my other 1/2 first go thru all his old Macs, he might have somehwere e.g. a really old PowerBook or first ever iBook or something else that I could entertain myself with .. then if he finds nothing interesting, then I probably send a note .. :D

Giaguara said:
Wow nixgeek :) I think I'll first make my other 1/2 first go thru all his old Macs, he might have somehwere e.g. a really old PowerBook or first ever iBook or something else that I could entertain myself with .. then if he finds nothing interesting, then I probably send a note .. :D

Coolness. :cool:

A combination of not wanting to be a guinea pig, testing a new system for Apple, so waiting for at least rev 1, and having a boss who is tight as a duck's @$$ means that I have only just upgraded to Tiger today.

First impressions? Not bad, not bad, but a couple of things annoy me greatly:

1. Can't hide QuarkXPress using [Cmd]+[H]

2. When trying to zoom in Macromedia Freehand using [Cmd]+[Alt]+[Spacebar], Spotlight gets in the way!

Doubtless I'll find ways around these shortcomings or get used to a different way of working, but it means having to think about these things, slowing me down, when these things should just be a reflex action.

CaptainQuark... open System Preferences, click "Keyboard and Mouse", then click the "Keyboard shortcuts" tab... change the shortcut for Spotlight to something that doesn't conflict... this might also be the solution to your XPress problem, since it's also keyboard related, but I don't know what in XPress would be conflicting...

CaptainQuark said:
First impressions? Not bad, not bad, but a couple of things annoy me greatly:

1. Can't hide QuarkXPress using [Cmd]+[H]
Why not switch to Adobe InDesign (he says half jokingly and half seriously)?

Back