What security steps do you take?

Durbrow

Registered
I was curious what steps home users (or home office mac users) take to protect their macs and data.

I've started using OpenDNS, 1Password, passwords with screensavers, firewall, etc. Do any home users use FireVault or VPN or whole disk encription? Thanks for any ideas of things I might consider!

For my laptop, I mainly use my fist; it tends to keep people away. Other than that I don't really have any password for anything that doesn't require one. I back up all of my important data so I am not afraid of really losing it.

Little Snitch here as well, and encrypted disk images for sensitive data. I'm not all that concerned with malware since I am a "smug virus-free Mac-using bastard". :)

I do have a screensaver password, although I don't consider it very strong or very necessary. It just keeps me from thinking on my more paranoid days that my friends or family might have snooped. Any dedicated miscreant would be able to bypass a screensaver/login password easily enough. Unless your data is encrypted separately, it just doesn't protect you. Anyone with an OS X installation disk can reset your passwords by booting into it. But at least you'll know if they did.

The only thing I use on my computer is a strong password. It's kept everyone out since the beginning of time.

One of my computers (Mac OS X 10.4 Server) is completely exposed to the internet (via DMZ in the router). I get all kinds of remote login (ssh) attempts, all day, every day, every second or so... no one's gotten in yet.

I need't worry about virus protection because there are no viruses for OS X, and even if there were, they can't get into my system.

I needn't worry about a firewall because my password protects my computer, and there are no remote exploits that can be used to gain unauthorized entry into my system.

I don't use password-storage applications, partly because I can remember all my passwords. I also don't use a screensaver password because my computer is also physically secure (if I can't trust my wife, who can I trust?) and I make sure I log out after a console session.

I don't use FileVault because, again, my computer is physically secure and also because I don't work for the CIA, store credit card information on my drive, or have any kind of sensitive information on my computer (other than my address and phone number). FileVault seems to be overkill for all but CIA employees and the extremely paranoid.

In short, I don't do much to protect my computer at all, because I don't feel the need to. My strong password protects 99% of my digital traffic, and the other 1% I could care less about (do I really want to fret over a hacker who REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wants to "hack" into my vacation photos? Or my recipe docs? Or my school papers?).

I realize I may be in the minority, but I believe Mac OS X (rather, the UNIX underpinnings) do a mighty fine job of protecting everything without me taking additional measures (like a firewall, encryption, etc.). Unless I have experienced some kind of break-in or unauthorized access, I won't take action to close my computer down with additional things until I see a need to do so.

In short, I don't do much to protect my computer at all, because I don't feel the need to. My strong password protects 99% of my digital traffic, and the other 1% I could care less about (do I really want to fret over a hacker who REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wants to "hack" into my vacation photos? Or my recipe docs? Or my school papers?).

I realize I may be in the minority, but I believe Mac OS X (rather, the UNIX underpinnings) do a mighty fine job of protecting everything without me taking additional measures (like a firewall, encryption, etc.). Unless I have experienced some kind of break-in or unauthorized access, I won't take action to close my computer down with additional things until I see a need to do so.

I agree. I don't worry about my Macs because if someone tried to get in, they would have to have a Mac (I only use Apple File Sharing) and Macs aren't exactly a hackers best friend. Plus I have a strong password.

I could even leave a PC virus for them :D

Well you could be extra secure following the NSA guide to Leopard Security if you dare! :rolleyes:

Now if you want secure email (like me :D) then you can get Email Secure signature.

Like others (Mikuro) have said little snitch is worth the money because it actually shows you how many programs call home without your knowledge, then you can block outgoing connections at your leisure.

Lastly stay away from p0rn sites and cracked software. These were ways hackers got OS X users to install a trojan. So never trust a site that asks you to install a QuickTime codec (plugin) to see a video and don't ever try cracked OS X software.

The best security sits between the keyboard and the chair. Just play it smart, honest and use common sense and you should be safe. :rolleyes:

One of my computers (Mac OS X 10.4 Server) is completely exposed to the internet (via DMZ in the router). I get all kinds of remote login (ssh) attempts, all day, every day, every second or so... no one's gotten in yet.

Ever get the urge to create a separate partition and set up
a honeypot on your server? ::evil::

I was curious what steps home users (or home office mac users) take to protect their macs and data.

I've started using OpenDNS, 1Password, passwords with screensavers, firewall, etc. Do any home users use FireVault or VPN or whole disk encription? Thanks for any ideas of things I might consider!

Basic Mac OS X Security *this is from 2006 - I will try to find a more updated tutorial

Last edited:
I did at one point... There was a thread here that I was involved in concerning the security of Mac OS X. One member was of the opinion that Mac OS X was somehow vulnerable in one manner or another, so I extended the invitation to do their worst on a completely exposed system. Didn't hear much from them after that.

I would happily stage my system again if there are any takers now.

In my mind, I picture a "virtual machine" server install with a bunch of really juicy looking fake apps and programs along with an AI functionality that would actively bait hackers - and I mean really suck them in and severely mess with their minds!

Just reviewing the logs would be cheap free entertainment.

::evil::

Back