What's your Instant Messenging application ?

What's your IM application ? (Several answers possible)

• MSN

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • AIM

Votes: 41 36.3%
    Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Yahoo!

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Jabber, Gudu-gudu, any other (tell what)

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I use Fire or Proteus, I've got them all, and I checked only this box

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • None

Votes: 5 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use ICQ and only ICQ. All my friends use ICQ. I've been using ICQ since 1995ish. I hate AIM...M$N is worse...nobody uses Yahoo!...
ICQ all the way!

i am not a blind fool who just says "PC's suck" like those pc ppl who have never even tried the mac OS. but anyways i don't like MSN because it has fewer options compaird to AIM (IMHO) ok i am done with the M$ bashing

What's so great about Proteus. Fire does the same thing and actually works. (at least for me). Proteus is a very incomplete application. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to connect. While Fire too is still a bit unstable at times, Proteus is 100 times worse. I just don't see how its any better than Fire.

Someone please tell me why Proteus is so great.

I use MSN cuz that's what all my friends have, and it's nice to have integration with Hotmail. Other than that, it blows. Microsoft's Mac support for this program is a joke, and it takes up way too much of my resources for just an IM client. That's why I'm writing my own clone that's hopefully much better. Unfortunately, the MSN Messenger Protocol sucks as well...Sigh...I wish I had my own server so I could just make my OWN friggin IM client! That'll prolly never happen...:rolleyes: ...Ah well.

I use MSN for IM, because that's what all my friends have. I sometimes log into ICQ, but that's rarely. At least the new version of MSN is a LOT better than the old one, allowing file transfer!

It's a shame that I won't be able to use iChat, as I have no friends who use AOL :(

Originally posted by dixonbm
Someone please tell me why Proteus is so great.

because you can log in to as many different accounts as you want. for example if i had two AIM accounts (whitch i do) i can log on to both of them at the exact same time, but with fire i would have to log out of one and sign on to the other

I use MSN but i have a copy of Y! messenger on here sumwere :p

I also hate the current MSN client fine it runs in X but File transpher doesnt work I told M$ Fat lot of good that did!

What is fire is it any good? Protus disnt work for me :rolleyes:

Will M$ be relaseing a Jag complyent MSN client?

Dris- About you MSN clone, im intrested in helping im not programer but i would like to help, any idea when it will be out?

Peace -B

AIM. iChat when it's here.

Hopefully one day, AOL will open their network to outside users. Then Apple can make iChat compatable with all the major networks.

But all my friends are on AIM, so I haven't needed to get Proteus or anything else.

It's the same thing with me... i dont need to get proteus or anything cause ALL of my friends are on AIM... i would have absolutely no one except AIM friends on Proteus... I am again very glad that apple is making iChat on AIM cause thats what everyone i know has...

The Mac Geekette

Proteus 1.x sucked imho.

The new proteus betas [2.x] you can find on versiontracker and actually have a nicer interface than fire.

I switched to proteus 2 "final candidate 1" after fire started quitting app for no good reason.

I'm using Fire at the moment but only because I hated AIM so much and needed to talk to someone on that network.

I have to say though, I downloaded Proteus first and hated the usability of it. Fire seems pretty decent.

At the moment i just use MSN but i do have accounts on Y! and AIM but i tried protus and it sucked it kept quitting and slowed me down. Fire i havent used becuse the review on CNET was rubbish, and plus im waitng for the 3-party MSN Client! :D

B

Another AIM user over here, simply because I don't know other people on those other networks.... and I use the official AIM client because it's got lots of features... File Transfer, Buddy Icons, etc.... AOL has kept those features of their protocol proprietary. GRRR

oh well. At least I found a hack to get rid of the AIM ads. ;)

Originally posted by NielZ

indeed, agree with that. here in holland (near to france ;)) everyone uses msn, and they think "AIM" is a desice or something.
iChat is cool to go to the Britney "can she cook" Spears restaurant, but useless for us europeans...
(i checked msn btw :))

Mmmh, well most ppl I know use Yahoo/ICQ or AIM. Dunno about MSN (I refuse to prostitute my privacy). Anyway, that's also Europe I'm talking about.
It depends on a lot of factors. Anywy, I'm mostly doing Yahoo (which could bring out a better Mac version !).

i had it loaded, but wasn't very impressed.. kept conflicting w/ my icq app.

has there been an update on this app in the last 6 months?

kafene.

Back