Where abouts are you from?

Where are you from?

• North America: USA, Canada, Greenland etc...

• Latin America: Mexico, Brazil, Argentina etc...

• Western Europe: Germany, France, UK, Ireland etc...

• Eastern Europe: Greece, Turkey, Israel, Russia etc...

• Africa: Egypt, Morroco, South Africa, Kenya etc..

• Western Asia: India, Pakistan, CIS

• East Asia: Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan etc...

• Australasia: New Zealand, Fiji, Papa New Guinea etc...

• Antarctica: Any research scientists stuck out there?

• Other: Polynesia, Easter Island, Mars etc...

Results are only viewable after voting.

alexachucarro

I'm 1/4 Basque you know?...
I'd love to know what proportion of people on this forum are from wherever. There wasn't enough options to try to list all 270 countries, so I have slimmed it down to Continental regions.

Please tell me where you're from if you're from obscure little places that most wouldn't know that exist.

On that note, Iceland is part of Europe isn't it?

The listing is not by any means political, just top left of global map working right to bottom right.

Originally posted by Nummi
I am from the planet earth... isnt that all that matters?

Good grief, just interested.

Chill, just interested. I'd be impressed for example if someone from Khazakstan was here.

Someone failed geography :p can you guess who it is ? lol (sorry "the weakest link" kind of moment).

Greece is not eastern europe, greece would be classified as southern europe.
TURKEY IS NOT IN EUROPE, its in asia minor
Israel is in northern Africa, not europe.

thank you :)

Originally posted by testuser
You will have to forgive Nummi & Nuts. They are typical (?) sixteen year olds.

Do you think their parents know they talk like that? What a sad commentary on today's youth.

I live in San Antonio Texas.

Howdy. How Ya'll folks doin'?!

Nah, just kiding:p. I hate Texas stereotypes.

I might be wrong on israel -- turkey is definatelly not europe :p

Most of my family is in Greece, some are here.

I'm from St. Louis, MO, but now reside in Eagle Mountain, UT (just to the south and west of Salt Lake City) While I finish my degree at BYU.

I live close to another person who responded to this thread. I live in East Greenbush, NY. That's only about 10 Km out of Albany, the State capital.

AK, It depends on how you define Europe:

This is from the Turkish embassy web site in DC:

In December 1999, Turkey became the European Union’s (EU) first candidate for full membership with a predominantly Muslim population.

For the first time, Turkey participated as a full member candidate at the EU summit in Nice in December 2000.

They are a member of the European Union, which is an economic group, but is based upon geographical location. The part of the world that they come from is traditionally known as 'Near East', compared to Middle East and Far East.

Turkey is an interesting country from this point of view.

Again, Greece is an interesting one. Physically it is obviously in Southern Europe. However economically it was, until recently, in what is called Emerging Europe. It is now in Developed Europe. Emerging Europe is also often called Eastern Europe and Developed is often called Western Europe. Again, these are economic locations which have some parity to the physical geographical location.

TestUser - Middle East is not an incorrect label, it is not defined purely on Geographical location. You are correctly defining Israel based upon continents. Middle East does not rely on Continents (because there are so many different ones around that area) and was used to group similarly placed countries around that area. Israel is in the Middle East. It is also, as you correctly state, in the Western part of Asia.

Roger.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
Someone failed geography :p can you guess who it is ? lol (sorry "the weakest link" kind of moment).

Greece is not eastern europe, greece would be classified as southern europe.
TURKEY IS NOT IN EUROPE, its in asia minor
Israel is in northern Africa, not europe.

thank you :)

Israel IS in Europe but tetsuser established that. But about 10% of Turkey IS in Europe. The border is called The Bospher Straight not the Turkey coast. In fact the city Istanbul, has a European part and an Asian part seperated by a little bit of sea called Marmara. My friend is European Turkish. But anyway, it's regarded as a European Country in Europe and one day it hopes to join the EU. No idea why, bloody mess if you ask me.... but thats another webSITE!

Also Russia is in Europe and Asia. Weird huh? Moscow is in Europe and Siberia is in Asia. Same as Mexico is actually in North America, but everyone associates it with Latin America.

Try out:

http://go.hrw.com/atlas/

Very good site for global stats.

Oh and Roger, Turkey is STILL a candidate. It's not in the EU yet. Trust me I'd know I have a very Turkish friend from Turkey. He'd be the one to let me know anyway.

Originally posted by testuser
I find it outstanding that they are able to converse nearly fluently in a non-native language. (With the possible exception of Spanish, knowledge of a second language is not so important here in the US).

Don't get me started on that. Too late:

I visited a family in Holland for 2 weeks and this ten year old chap was almost fluent in English. It scared the shit out of me! He informed me that he learns 5 languages including Dutch. I don't know ONE word uf Dutch. I know more Japanese.

Dutch, Spanish, German (same as Dutch almost!!!), French and English.

Yet in the UK all we need to do is shout very loudly and we assume that EVERYONE can understand us. I work in a Duty-Free electronic shop at Gatwick airport and I can understand a little French and Spanish. My colleagues just shout:

I NEED TO SEE YOUR BOARDING PASS!!!! Hopeing that amplitude enhances language barriers.

English speeking countries piss me off so much. Especially British, Aussies and Americans. We think that because we speak the international language, what's the point learning anything else.

I blame our education too. They were teaching me Latin before Spanish???!!!! Go figure!

Originally posted by mrfluffy
alexachucarro what part of england are you from, i am as it says over there (<---) from hants.

OK, I'm from Crawley, West Sussex. Halfway between London and Brighton. Gatwick Airport is about a ten minute drive.

I live in the ground floor bedroom that I converted from a Untility room, still living in my Mum's house. I live at no 46 Beeches Crescent, Southgate, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 6BS.

I go to Uni at South Bank University studying for a BSc in Special Effects. I graduate this July (hopefully) and then I'll be emigrating to New Zealand for a few years....

Sweet?

PS Where is Hants?

;)

Back