Where are my shared Macs?

Whitehill

Registered
I'm running 10.5.1 server on a G5 and plain old 10.5.2 on two other Macs. When I reboot the server, the other two Macs appear in the Shared section in the sidebar of a Finder window. I can mount their disks and share their screens.

After some indeterminate time (days, sometimes hours), they disappear from the sidebar. I can ping them and I can mount their file systems via "Connect to server ...", but I can't get to their screens. I have two PC's and a Linux box and they never disappear. And on each non-server Mac, the server and the other non are always there.

Why do my shared Macs vanish from the server?

I have no real clue, but maybe they go to standby mode and do not reconnect properly when coming back to live.

Do both systems disappear at the same moment (even when booted at a completely different moment) ?

Good luck, Kees

The screens go to sleep; the drives stay awake.

I just updated to 10.5.3 which involved 2 or 3 reboots, and all my machines are accessible, for the moment. I'll check tomorrow about this time and post an update.

72 hours and still OK. Should I declare victory?

Victory is usual declare a few minutes too early, so i would wait for them (and than again being a few minutes too early).

But if it did not last for that long in the past, you have a good chance you can at least go victory shopping ...

Good luck and happy victory, Kees

I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory! Last night in the wee hours some violent weather caused some power blips. All my equipment is behind APC batteries except for one printer on USB. That USB port was fried, I guess, because no amount of sweet-talk today could bring it back. Luckily it also has an ethernet port which still works. I ordered another APC and, for the time being, put in a surge protector.

But, you guessed it, my shared Macs are gone again! They are running and can reach each other, the server, and the internet - but the server can't reach them for easy mounting and screen sharing. *sigh*

I had this happen too with a storm. I had to restart the SMU on all the Macs involved then all was well again. This might help.

Just an update. I am out of the server environment and into plain Leopard 10.5.3 on a new Intel iMac. It's been two weeks and I have never lost sight of any other shared system.

I have a similar problem with my windows desktops (I am using a MB-pro) Except my desktops were visible when I reinstalled then they left. But I can bring them back by going to APPLE(icon) Recent Items/Servers. And there they are! I know this isnt ideal situation but it works. I think my prob is related to missing com.apple.security.plist file. Maybe yours is too...do you have this file? Mine is gone.

Back