where is the info about the wireless keyboard and mouse stored?

malachai

Registered
The weirdest thing happened. I formatted my drive and reinstalled OS X 10.4. I expected that I would have to set up my Apple wireless keyboard and mouse again, but I didn't. The OS recognized them. Why is that?

That should do it for resetting the NVRAM... perhaps they're stored in PRAM, which you can reset by rebooting and holding down command-opion-p-r until the computer reboots thrice.

I thought they were stored in NVRAM, but I guess perhaps only startup disk preferences and other boot-critical settings are stored in NVRAM... it's worth a shot resetting PRAM.

If you don't want your Mac to see the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, just turn them off.
You shouldn't need to set up the mouse and keyboard on first use after a fresh OSX install. The system just sees them - especially if you don't have a wired USB keyboard and mouse attached.

OK, well, humour me. :) If I wanted to reset them, how would I do it? I've reset both the PRAM and the NVRAM, so the settings aren't in there.

The weirdest thing happened. I formatted my drive and reinstalled OS X 10.4. I expected that I would have to set up my Apple wireless keyboard and mouse again, but I didn't. The OS recognized them. Why is that?

It's a Mac, it just works :) You shouldn't need to be concerned about your settings.
Did you have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse when you first set up your Mac? I think not. Now, with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, your Mac doesn't need to setup after a fresh install, it just sees them, and you usually don't need to do anything, if you have the mouse and keyboard turned on. They just work, it's a Mac. :D

Are you having problems with either your mouse or the keyboard?

Yes. I want to reset them. How do I do it?

That's not actually a problem...
Are both the keyboard and mouse working?

You can reset both by turning them off, there's a small power switch on the bottom of both. You can remove the batteries.
Put the batteries back in, turn each power switch 'on', and there you go. The Mac will see them again very quickly.

I agree with Qion - I think the mouse and keyboard actually do the connecting, and not the computer.

Back