Which ipod to get?

I can't decide between the video and nano. The nano is less expensive (200 is quite high still), is smaller and is much lighter. However the video, being more expensive, is only 60 dollars more andd carrys many gbs, as well as a widescreen color lcd. I don't know which one to get, and i would get a less expensive mp3 player except no others are as good. Is there a sound dif with the video and nano? I don't plan on relying too much on video, but it would be a cool thing to have.

There's no sound difference between the iPods...

If you want a jack of all trades then you have to plump for the Video - I bought one for my wife the other day - it really is pretty impressive...

We like the idea of storing movies on it for trips away from home... Wherever we go there's a TV, but not always a DVD player.

If you only want to use your iPod to show photos then the Nano will do the trick.

Good luck with your decision! :)

I wanted a mini at first (4GB). I ended up getting a 60GB iPod photo and wonder how I would have ever got along with a measly 4GB.

I would say go for the gusto -- get the biggest, baddest iPod you can get. The "wow" factor is worth the money alone. Plus, with 60GB to fill up, I've discovered a lot of new music I would have never considered before. Having anything to listen to at any time is wonderful. If you're gonna spend $250, might as well save up $400 and get a 60GB video iPod (with 15 times the space as the Nano!).

i'd go for the full ipod. 30giger fine if you arn't planneing on much video. when i got one, it was between the blue mini and the base 15 gig. i got the 15 gig, and never have regreted it(except when i run out of room for my whole music lib).

I have the ipod mini 4gb, love it to death, my fiancee started using it and wanted one too....but since its the holidays there are NONE in any store in MD, VA, or NC. So i found a ipod video at compusa...only had 5 so i rushed over to grab it. It IS very impressive, you can put any video file on there, just change the extension from nascarrace.mpeg to nascarrace.mpeg.ipod
and they work! Pretty sweet.

But picking an ipod is all bout your price range. if you want something small get the 2gb nano, or macmall still has a few ipod mini 6gb's...but after seeing the video....deff a must have!

Btw.: It's not a widescreen display. I don't get where this thing comes from (one can read it all over the 'net, it pops up in strange places), but the iPod video's screen is 320*240, which is QVGA, 4:3, not widescreen.

I think the main difference between the nano and the video _is_ whether you want to be able to have _all_ your music with you all the time. This was what changed my music-world when I bought my first iPod (10 GB 2nd gen iPod). You just don't _get_ this with a nano.

However, if you *like* the nano, because it's very stylish and small, then I'd opt for the 2 GB version. Since you're going to have to choose what subset of your music to have on it, anyway, I don't think you really need 4 GB at all. 2 GB can still hold a lot of music that you like, and certainly enough for a five-day trip, if you plan on also _talking_ to somebody sometimes and not just live with the iPod. ;)

it's screen is wider than the square screens found on all other ipods ever, and the majority of the competition. so in that sense it is a wide screen, if perhaps not true 16:9.

in that case, the apple widescreen ciname displays aren't widescreen, as they are 16:10

but i'm nitpicking.

That's _really_ nitpicking, Lt., because clearly QVGA is a 4:3 resolution, which is *NOT* considered widescreen anywhere in my opinion. 16:10 certainly is "rather wide" compared to any 4:3 screen...

And talking about the competition: There sure is _no_ comparable video-capable media player that has less resolution or a screen less-wide. There are others with the same resolution and there's the PSP, which clearly has a much wider screen and better resolution. Thus, _my_ nitpicking's ended, too. ;)

Here are the three things I think you need to consider in order.
- Capacity. Do you have (or will you have) a large music collection, and will you want to take it all with you? If so, go with the 30GB iPod. If you don't have a lot of music the nano may be fine.
- Usage and size. Are you using it mainly for jogging and working out? than the nano is better. if you are using it for commuting by train or car size doesnt matter as much.
- Video. Do you plan to use video? If so there's only one choice.

Overall, I think it comes to personal preference. There is no right or better choice.

I *LOVE* my nano and the size of it... SMALL. The video iPods are cool and if you don't mind carrying around a larger device, the extra $$$ would probably be worth it. But, if you don't want to feel like you are carrying around a gold bar. That is how I felt carrying around a regular iPod. I still treat my nano with respect, but it hangs around your neck and is less of a burden.

The new iPods with video - both the 30GB and 60GB version - are lighter than what you've had, probably, ScottW. They're not heavy bricks...

I have had a mini for a year now and when i change the song the battery runs out i reccomend the ipod video 60 gb

The new iPod with video is MUCH smaller then the previous "normal" iPods. Thin is in! The nano is nice if you want only a small selection of songs, but it'd be too delicate for me to use "full time". Go with the 30GB iPod.

I went with the 30GB Photo (4th Gen) over a Mini and I'm glad I did. I've only used about 3GB with Music (and I haven't imported at least 120 of my CDS yet). The other 4GB used on it are just a few of my photos...when each photo is 1MB to 1.5MB each it adds up fast. So if you want to keep anything other than just songs on your iPod, going with a Video model is probably your best bet.

I have the 30G iPod with video (because of store supply when it first came out). I love it because the picture comes out really clear. It is just a little heaver (by a couple of ounces) than my iPod Shuffle. I got the white colored model because I felt the black model would probably scratch to easily.

WEll, thanks for all the advice guys. I got a 30gig black video. I really like it, and it's not that heavy. The interface is good and it is generally easy to use. The only problems are the EXTREMELY delicate surface, the fact that you can't charge it without a computer and that it can freeze up, and the only way to reset it is to plug it in to a computer. But other than that i love it! I even got the college discount.

You should be able to reset it, if it hangs, without a computer. Just hold down Menu, Play and the middle key for a longer period. (Although that combo changed in the past, I'm not sure if it's the right one for the video iPods...)

Back