Why do these damn Dell PC's keep getting faster?!

by boi
chill. you're talking like i just insulted your mother.

First off, I am not acting like you are insulting my mother (if you were insulting my mother we would be best friends :D ).

Have you ever worked with Gateways? Of course they cost next to nothing, because that represents the quality of them! I did support of a company that had 12 Gateways. They were the most crash prone systems I've ever come across. Even if I was a Windows user, I would never willingly pay for a Gateway.

if apple is trying to get converts, they'll have to step it up. mhz sell computers, it's the UI and the ease of use that keep them.

Apple doesn't make processors, Gateway doesn't make processors (or good computers), Dell doesn't make processors (but they'll claim to be the first to have done it to sell systems :D ). Apple has made their processor choice (I wish they would have gone more with IBM, but we can't have everything) and they made that choice for their own good reasons. Beyond that, all of this is pointless.

okay, great, a mac works best for you. you're more productive with a slow mac than a fast pc. hooray. guess what? someone productive on a pc is now /more/ productive on a fast PC. i'm glad you like your mac better... but i'm not trying to convice YOU to get a PC.

I have never tried to convert anyone. And guess what?, I've been saying that all a long. Why does it bother you that someone is both productive and happy with their PC? I'm happy for people who are productive with their PCs. Part of my job is to make sure that people with PCs are happy and productive. If someone ask me what type of computer they should buy, I ask them what they need it for. If they start down the PC path, then I'll help them with that choice. If they ask me what I use, they find out that I use a Mac. That is as far as I go in pushing any platform.

now about Omniweb: it doesn't fully support java. it renders css wrong. it ignores a lot of css. it forces you to use aqua, which doesn't always fit in a certain table. anti-aliasing is only good for some people. some view it as fuzzy text. most people don't even know what anti-aliasing means, and i don't care if it's anti aliased with a drop shadow... as long as i can read it, i'm fine. IE on windows runs SO quick. admit it... PCs have mac users beat when it comes to browser wars.

First, I have only pointed out what makes OmniWeb my choice of web browsers. Why do you feel the need to affirm your browser choice (I think we are getting into some insecurity issues here) over mine? Could IE (on Windows or Mac) spell check this text as I type it? Could IE (on Mac or Windows) read me your text as it was posted? I have been using OmniWeb for a few years and have been quite happy with it. With OmniWeb 4 on Mac OS X, I have found that pages look better than I have ever seen them (and for some reason they don't seem as annoying as they once were... I wonder why :D ).

I would point out that your admit it... comment shows that you have some Mac-PC issues that you need to work out. My computing (and browser for that matter) choices are not governed by the masses (as it sounds like yours are). I use what I want regardless of what anyone else uses (I'm one of the only people who still uses Rhapsody as one of my primary operating systems), so I could careless if PCs have mac users beat in your mind. I have the cool features I want, less of the annoying ones that I don't, and live a very happy life (which it doesn't sound like you can say the same).

anyway, i'd just like to see a little more open-mindedness about the subject. a lot of mac fans are complete fanatics, and don't care WHAT pcs have to offer. that's no way to look at things.

And I have never looked at them that way... so what is your point?

The funny thing is that the PC games have been keeping around the 400-700 MHz range for reccomended speed, while the RAM usage and graphics requirements have risen. The 2.5GHz is the difference between 65 FPS and 165. I don't think you'd miss those frames much :p

your last response was nothing but personal attacks, and i'm not going to do the same. i use macs because i am most productive with it. i, however, stay open-minded about buying a PC. your "Mac-PC issues" comment makes you seem as though you're a little over-zealous about computers. it's not a religion, it's a computer.
as to not completely hijack this thread, let's get back to the basic points of this thread:
PCs are faster than Macs.
PCs are cheaper than Macs.
We all love Macs anyway because they're much easier to use.

now please stop insulting me. you're going to make me cry.

:rolleyes:

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Or better yet, just don't turn the oven on!

Welcome to the Internet. :eek:

man, people have always dreamed of uniting the world... see what happens when we do?

it's not pretty.

Why oh why does everyone who is proclaiming that PCs are better look only at CPU speed and price? Is that all you ever care about? Processor speed and sub-$1000 systems?

Every single person that I have seen on these boards says the same thing. "I love Macs, don't get me wrong, but PCs kick Macs all over the place. I mean, I can get a system for $800 and ... "

Is it just the same mindset that blinds these people to all of the other parts of the whole OS and hardware issue?

In my mind, there are about fifty things that you have to look at to evaluate an OS. Here are just a few (and note that PCs are better in some areas, and Macs are better in others -- I'm not trying to promote one system or another):
- Availability of hardware
- Reliability of hardware
- Integration of hardware and software
- Overall reliability of the operating system with third party or built in apps. If one app crashes do you have to re-install the OS?
- Overall reliability of the operating system with core services. If you perform a regular action will it crash the OS?
- Ease of use for novice users
- Ease of use for expert users
- Compatibility with other OSs
- Compatibility with peripheral devices
- Overall performance of the OS when performing routine tasks
- Overall performance of the OS when performing intensive tasks (3D rendering, for example)
- Consistency throughout the GUI if one is available
- Ease of use of the GUI for each individual person. Joe Schmoe might think this is the best GUI in the world, but John Smith thinks that other one kicks.

Et cetera et cetera. There are so many things to consider, just looking at processor speed and system price is like buying a car buy examining only the steering wheel and the tires.

It's just plain ridiculous.

i didn't say PCs were better. just faster. and for that you look at mhz... right? i could be mistaken... i have been before ^_^

by boi
your last response was nothing but personal attacks, and i'm not going to do the same.

Please define what you consider a personal attack. So far there hasn't even surfaced the need for personal attacks. You should go back and read the post again. I just responded to your points (and that shouldn't have hurt your feelings).

your "Mac-PC issues" comment makes you seem as though you're a little over-zealous about computers. it's not a religion, it's a computer.

In what way? Oh please elaborate on this (most people here have a good idea of my computing background, so this should be quite entertaining).

I haven't been insulting you. Believe me when I say, you will know when I start to insult you (and no, that wasn't the start either).

I should have specified that the "you" I was referring to in my previous post is not a specific "you", it's a general "you".

That said, I have a minor quibble -- you (this is a specific you, boi) didn't just say that PCs are faster:
PCs have mac users beat when it comes to browser wars.
This is a claim that not only are browsers faster, but better for PCs. I'm not arguing whether they are or not, just reminding you that you said more than just speed claims.

And while I'm posting, I missed the personal attacks that RacerX used against you. There are some personal comments, but nothing I would consider an attack. Nor do I believe that RacerX's post is "nothing but personal attacks". I believe he raised some very valid points and explained himself and his ideas a little more thoroughly.

and then boi said
and for that you look at mhz... right? i could be mistaken...

Okay, here is a MHz test for you.

(1) Which is faster?

• a. 300 MHz PPC 604e
    b. 300 MHz PPC 603e
    c. 300 MHz PPC 750
(2) Which is faster?

• a. 200 MHz MIPS R4400sc
    b. 180 MHz MIPS R5000sc
    c. 75 Mhz MIPS R8000sc
(3) Which is faster?

• a. 133 MHz Pentium
    b. 132 MHz PPC 604
    c. 133 MHz MIPS R4600pc
    d. 133 MHz MIPS R4600sc
(Extra Credit) Which is faster?

• a. 33 MHz MC68040
    b. 33 MHz MIPS R3000
    c. 50 MHz MicroSPARC

alright, the entire post wasn't personal attacks, just the last two paragraphs.
Why do you feel the need to affirm your browser choice (I think we are getting into some insecurity issues here) over mine?
i don't. i'm merely stating that browsing is faster on a PC. if we all kept our opinions to ourselves, there wouldn't be much of a forum, would there?
I would point out that your admit it... comment shows that you have some Mac-PC issues that you need to work out. My computing (and browser for that matter) choices are not governed by the masses (as it sounds like yours are).
huh? where did that come from?
so I could careless if PCs have mac users beat in your mind. I have the cool features I want, less of the annoying ones that I don't, and live a very happy life (which it doesn't sound like you can say the same).

that too... where did that come from?

i think racerX and i agree mostly, actually, if one re-reads all of our posts. it depends on the person. racerX likes the mac through and through. i like the speed and browsing of the PC and prefer the mac's hardware and OS. i just wish Mac would speed up and get their scrolling/browsing act together. then i wouldn't ever bother you poor people again-- i'd just sit in my room all day, reminding myself how cool my computer is.

i think i'm just tired of Mac elitists, and i mistook racerX to be one. when any mention of PCs is made, a lot of elitists attack the person who maybe thinks PCs are better, maybe, perhaps.

as a web designer, i'm really frustrated with Omniweb, so i recently stopped going through the extra effort to make pages OW complient as well. worrying about IE/Mozilla is plenty for me to handle.

peace to all. i'm off to bed ^_^

-_-..zzz

Uh oh.. Web Developer who is having issues getting their page to work with Gecko.

I see this turning into a W3C standards thread pretty soon.

However, It's 1:15 AM. I'm not going to start it. :D

by boi
racerX likes the mac through and through.

I don't think so. :confused:

Of the 17 computers I currently have, 4 are PCs, 3 are SGIs, 2 are Suns, and 8 are Apples. How can you get more broad a computing environment than I have? Sure doesn't look like Macs through and through to me.

:D

As for your where did that come from? comments, hmm... the quotes that I posted. I take great care in addressing sections of people's posts specifically so that there can be little chance of where did that come from? being asked. (quick hint: part of the answer was quoted in the quotes you took of my post :D ).

I may not be a web designer, but for some reason my pages all look good in just about every browser I have tried (and as you can most likely guess, there are very few on any platform that I can't test my pages on). I guess that (like dricci said) may have something to do with HTML standards (I avoid MS-HTML completely). But hey, your the professional (who doesn't want people to view his content :D ). From what I've seen, you should only need to make your pages W3C compliant for them to work great in OmniWeb. Shouldn't you be doing that anyway?

Having just purchased my very first mac, (after using pc's for a decade or so), i must say that i'm very happy with it's speed...

I'm running Mac OS 10.1.4 on it, and besides from starting up apps, it's running very smoothly.

It's a B/W G3 400 Rev 1, 384 mb. ram...
I know the Rev. 1. ****s :( but as i said i was/am a pc user, and therefore knew nothing about mac hardware.

I had to replace the original ATA66 cable with an oridinary ATA33 cable to avoid the disc corruption bug in Rev 1. and still the speed is acceptable.. (compared to my 900mhz Athlon thunderbird)

Originally posted by RacerX
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for PC users. Quake III running at 2,600 frames per second would just make all the difference in the world (your average theatre film runs at 32 frames per second, just for reference).

Actually it's 24 fps.

my "where did that come from?" was more directed towards these comments:

"My computing (and browser for that matter) choices are not governed by the masses (as it sounds like yours are). "

"I have the cool features I want, less of the annoying ones that I don't, and live a very happy life (which it doesn't sound like you can say the same). "

anyway, concerning MS-HTML: style sheets are not MS-HTML. neither is Javascript. Omniweb supports neither (well, very little of each) and it's pretty frustrating.

none of this is the point of the thread. i just mentioned that gateway has a 2ghz machine for less than $1000, so it'd be nice to see Apple step up their game so my great OS and great Apps will run nice and speedy :D

boi's request for clarification
my "where did that come from?" was more directed towards these comments:

RacerX: My computing (and browser for that matter) choices are not governed by the masses (as it sounds like yours are).

Specifically, this refers to this comment: IE on windows runs SO quick. admit it... PCs have mac users beat when it comes to browser wars. I consider this to be opinion (as to the quality of browsing with PCs) and your reference to browser wars shows that your considerations are governed by the masses. Seems very straight forward and simple to me, I'm not quite sure where you had a problem understanding it.

Lets try the next comment and see how that one turns out. :D

RacerX: I have the cool features I want, less of the annoying ones that I don't, and live a very happy life (which it doesn't sound like you can say the same).

I was simply pointing out that I am happy with my choice of platform and browser. You on the other hand seem to be very critical of my choice, which no one has ever made you use. And as pointed out above and re-enforced by your statement i like the speed and browsing of the PC and prefer the mac's hardware and OS, one would have to believe that you long for something better. A longing of that nature can only mean that you are neither happy on a PC or a Mac, therefore you must not be happy.

Would you like me to brake down any other posts in this much detail?

anyway, concerning MS-HTML: style sheets are not MS-HTML. neither is Javascript. Omniweb supports neither (well, very little of each) and it's pretty frustrating.

Again, you attacked my use of OmniWeb (trying to tell me that IE on Windows would be better), but I do not have a problem with how OmniWeb works for me. And again (which you seem to be missing), OmniWeb has features which I can not find on any other browser on any other platform. It is a completely enjoyable experience for me (that even a cheep PC can not match).

none of this is the point of the thread. i just mentioned that gateway has a 2ghz machine for less than $1000, so it'd be nice to see Apple step up their game so my great OS and great Apps will run nice and speedy :D

Yes, but you never responded to the questionnaire I provided in response to your MHz is speed statement. It surely is very much to the point of this thread.

pointed out by ElDiabloConCaca (only the second time in this thread)
Actually it's 24 fps.

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure why I was thinking 32, it has been quite a few years since I worked as a projectionist.

Hehe... I was just nitpicking and being annoying. It's one of those days.

At any rate, I'm enjoying this thread without really participating in it at all... keep up the GREAT arguments, RacerX!

its funny, because upgrading computers has become an addiction to some people.. although all they do is check email.. they justify it by telling people they can do all sorts of magic on it when they are strictly a home user only ... i could still use a se/30 and not use it to its full potential

i jus had an arguement with a religious pc user.. apparently his computer is better than my blue dalmation g3 imac, but its funny, cause im the first person he calls when he has problems .. im not saying macs dont have problems ever, but almost always do i talk to mac people and they figure out problems on their own, and thats prolly the biggest difference, the people ... im glad apple is not the monopoly that microsoft is.. sometimes its better to know something that others dont

Back