Why Doesn't Apple Make 11-Inch MacBook Air w/Backlit Keyboard?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I noticed someone the other day using a MacBook Air with a backlit keyboard, and I thought "Wow, that's cool! How come mine doesn't have that feature?" I just bought an 11-inch MBA a few months ago...and then I realized theirs was a 13-inch. So I guess only the 13-inch comes with the backlit keyboard? :confused: Why is that? Then again, I'm assuming the backlit keyboard would drain the battery like crazy, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise. ::ha::

Amie, we have the old 11" MacBook Air models ("early" 2011). The new models ("late" 2011) include backlit keyboards.

They also include Thunderbolt ports instead of DisplayPort ports like ours have. This means that we can only connect monitors to our ports, while newer MacBook Air owners can connect monitors, disk drives, peripherals, and other Thunderbolt-equipped hardware.

Yeah, the previous MBA was late 2010.

OK, thanks for the replies, guys! I didn't realize Apple came out with a new 11-inch MBA with a backlit keyboard. But, the more I think about it, the less I like that idea - only because it would shorten the battery life, I think. It looks cool though. :cool:

I sold my previous 11" model and bought the new one. Battery life isn't any worse. More than the keyboard, that's about display brightness and processor useage, I'd say, and AFAIK, the Core i5 processor can throttle down quite a bit, so it doesn't use that much battery at all.

Sorry EDCC for putting it so informally, and *three* times the same way. ;)

::evil::

FRYKE!!!

Shame on you! You sold your 11-inch MBA already?! Didn't you just buy that a few months ago? :confused:

Okay okay...congratulations! :D :p ;)

Back