Why don't PC users buy Macintosh?

Maybe it is as simple as this

There's no such thing as a PC user or a Mac user. There's actually 3 kinds of computer users:

1 - Ignorant, non-savvy people, trying and struggling to send their first email and browsing their first web sites. They are yet to experience the complete hell of multimedia on their recently acquired low-priced PC (My estimate: about 80% of the addressable market)

2 - Experienced, non-freaky users, disappointed by the possibilities and shortcomings of the PC world and looking for improvement of their situation. These customers are ready for a Mac. However, as the sunk cost theory doesn't mean anything to them, they feel stuck with their € 2500 PC which they would have to replace. And especially since they have continued spending on it since they bought the machine (added a new graphics card, replaced the processor and upgraded the DVD-player to a DVD-burner), they will never ever get anything more then € 500 for it when they try to sell it. Therefore, a large share of them will just stick to their existing machine, trying to make the best out of it. The fact that the Mac is so poorly available and actual advertisement/PR is almost non-existent does not help getting them to switch of course. My intelligent guess is that this group is about 15% of the total market.

3 - Techy, freaky, very advanced customers (like all of us here?), knowing exactly what they want. They won't switch to anything else they want themselves and they are using their preferred OS already for many years and they have a perfectly good reason for using it. Not the part of the market Apple should be trying to address, as it is almost saturated.

In short, the customers that need a Mac the most (group 1 & 2) are virtually unreachable as the true virtues of the Mac are too difficult to explain (they have no reference) of the switch is just too costly. Therefore, Apple will stick with their current customers and will only gradually convert some of the PC users.

Does that mean there is no hope?

To the contrary.
Apple is already making some smart moves, locking in the new customers. We have seen substantial price decreases for all Macs, reducing the entry barrier for new customers. Once an Apple customer, you'll be very unlikely to switch back again, for all the reasons we know. To ensure this, Apple is further developing customer locking-in and upgradable concepts like iLife, iSync, .Mac and soon a new Music download service, making it less and less likely that a customer will ever leave the Mac-heaven.
Also, by developing cross-OS products like the iPod and flawless integration with the most important Windows software like internet browsing, office-applications and multimedia programs, the interoperability concerns of the new customers are addressed.
That leaves Apple with the need to upgrade its Marketing and Sales strategies: realize physical availability of Macs in stores, ensure availability of (gaming) software, co-operate fully with banking/fiscal solutions currently solely offered to PC users and stop excluding international (Non-US) users from online services like Sherlock and iPhoto printing.

Put all above in a smart, multi-channel switch campaign and start behaving a bit more like MS and many more of us will be in Apple-heaven soon.

Just my two cents…

Mac are just too easy to use. They've got no problems at all. Whenever my friend mentions that whenever he starts up starcraft, there's a blue screen, and i say that it won't ever happen with mac, he says that they suck. PCs are harder to use, so i guess people just want a challenge.

We could all go on on on... about this situation... My reason for switching was... because I know that if I want to become a full fledged webmaster... The Mac is the best for graphics... I don't give a poop.... About PC Video Cards... I care about my programs opening up and getting the job done effortlessly... Sometimes with a PC, graphic programs lock up...

I don't need that.

a respnse to martijnvandijk
There's actually 3 kinds of computer users:

1 - Ignorant, non-savvy people

i think this group needs to be divided into 2 different groups. those who are ignorant about computers and those who are ignorant about using computers. the first group is largely attracted to the pc simply because that's what they think a computer is. and when they look at the system requirements on the software box at Best Buys, it says they need windows and a pentium. they probably best illustrate your point that their are no pc and mac users - just computer users. however, those who could afford it would be much happier using a mac.

the latter group, who have the intelligence and resources to find out about computers before they rush out to Fry's and buy today's $199 internet ready pc (yes, that was really an ad i heard today),probably stand a good chance of buying a mac. these people will have read consumer reports, played with different models in the store, etc. a big thing to them is how long will it take them to set up and being using their computer. they don't want to study manuals, configure drivers, or really spend any time with their computer other than doing what they need to do with it. The mac has always been made for these people. they make up the huge majority of mac owners. i am pretty much one of them.

2 - Experienced, non-freaky users...

well actually, i was one of the earlier types when i first bought my mac. now i am probably more at this level. except i generally wave my freak flag high. but then, i never made the mainstream decision to start with. but out side of mac users, your description probably fits most people who started out with a pc after a few years of using it. to have gotten this far, they have had to invest huge amounts of time and effort and as you point out - money. they might be good candidates for switching once they find out they can still read their idiot bosses' word documents on a mac.

on the other hand mac users who have advanced to this stage would be evenmore impossible to switch. they wouldn't go thru the grief they see their pc using friends go thru without some hefty monetary compensation in return.

3 - Techy, freaky, very advanced customers (like all of us here?), knowing exactly what they want. ... Not the part of the market Apple should be trying to address, as it is almost saturated.

here i completely disagree. it's for sure that we're not all ultra geeks, or even geeks for that matter. many of us here bought our macs back at level one with the whole intention of avoiding having to be like this to use and maintain our computers. however, there are a lot of 'nix converts to macs that fit this description exactly. but they didn't really know this was what they wanted till they saw it. 'nix converts are largely word of mouth. apple isn't running ads that promote the complexity that underlies the simplicity of os x. i would never have had the opportunity to know many of the people here 3-5 years ago because they were still entering command lines on their pc or sgi and wouldn't dare strike up a conversation with a mac user. but times change and we have melded to become a much larger community of freaks and freethinkers with a common bond - os x. this is a whole new market for apple and one that is ripe with opportunities.

in reality, i think what you have presented is more a developmental stage theory than different types of computer users. not everyone goes thru all the stages. everyone stops at the level they feel comfortable with. i think stages 2 and 3 are the best targets for apple to market to and it seems to me they agree. Then those stage 1 people will follow. or maybe not. just as well. i'd just as soon not listen to anymore whining about how the mac section doesn't have all those $10 apps that the pc section does. :)

The vibe I get often is that you can get a PC much cheaper than a Mac typically. Especially if you build it yourself. I've been building my own PC's since my Pentium 66. :) The only PC I ever purchased complete was my Inspiron 8200 from Dell. Of course, I only had that 6 months before it went on eBay and I got myself a PowerBook 12"!

I think it's also partially what you start out with. If you put a child in front of a FreeBSD box when they are very young and keep leaning them towards that until they are an adult, they will most likely keep with it since they are used to and familiar with it. Same goes for many things. So, since PC's are so widely used, people starting out on a computer are more likely to start out on a PC. :(

- G!mpy

It all comes down to education.

Just like most Americans can only speak English, and are too lazy to learn another language, most computer users are stuck with Windows.

How do we change this? Buy new Macs for our youths. Educate them about the Mac OS and the power of Unix. I, for one, plan to buy my nephew an iBook when he turns 10 in 2005.

What do you think?

Why don't PC users buy Macintosh?

Because they're jerks!

And if they did what your thread title suggests there would be about 1 billion people using 1 mac.

georgelien..

American's aren't lazy when it comes to foreign language. I don't think i should be expected to speak spanish, japanese, german, french in my own country.

If i wanted that I would take a bilingual course.

Just because the rest of the world is fluent doesn't mean they have to come to America and expect us to know their language by heart. I wouldn't go to their country and expect them to speak English.

to everyone else:

I'm suprised this thread is still around.

Back