Why is OSX so hopeless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdFx

Registered
I've used Windows XP for around fifteen years and not once in that time was I ever forced to use the Terminal to rescue or cajole the operating system, nor did Explorer ever 'lose' or corrupt a single permissions file.

I've used OSX for six months and will be abandoning it completely as soon as I can sell the hugely overpriced pile of Junk that is my brand new G5 to some designer-sucker.

Why? Because OSX / Finder repeatedly 'loses' files, crashes during simple operations and worse, is incapable of handling OSX's bug riddled permissions. A problem that has been an apple joke for many years. Why after so long in development is the OSX Finder so incapable of even the simplest operations?

Oh well, at least it looks pretty on the desk, it's just a shame that's really all it's good for.

Are you trying to start a flame war? Just in case you did not know, millions of people including me use MacOS X every day with nary a problem. In fact, this OS that gives you so much trouble has brought millions back to the Mac and millions more to the Mac for the first time.

I would urge my fellow posters not to feed this troll.

Odd that you're having such problems. I've had my iMac G5 running 10.4.5 without any issues. Depending on the G5 system you have, it's possible that you need a firmware update. See the link below for the firmware needed for your Power Mac G5 (if needed).

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

What I don't understand is why you would join just to gripe about your OS X system and say you're selling it? I'm guessing maybe if you want someone here to purchase it from you. In that case, there is a Classifieds section where you can sell the G5. Other than that, it just seems like a waste of energy to just complain about it here. Just sell it to someone who would make use of it and get yourself the PC you want.....that's it....

EdFx said:
I've used Windows XP for around fifteen years...
No, you haven't. Windows XP hasn't been out for 15 years.

At any rate, I'm sorry you've had such a crappy experience with Mac OS X -- it certainly isn't the norm. It does sound like your system has some problems that could be fixed, and we'd gladly help you fix those problems if it's not too late to try and change your mind.

If not, and you'd just like to scrap the whole Macintosh thing, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that would be willing to take that Macintosh G5 off your hands for a reasonable price.

Hey, if we can't help you learn and like Mac OS X, then we'll certainly help you get rid of your G5! We'll help one way or another!

yes. those damned permissions. those 30 seconds that it takes to repair, i'll never get them back! wasting my life!

the windows registry is faultless. so stable and secure! as long as i've got 5 anti-malware programs running, i should be safe for a while.

lol, i have NEVER had a problem like that on my mac.

All those ignorant bastards, saying that mac sucks and everything.

they just dont know how to use it correctily or just need someone to make fun of. well atleast when i go home i will never need to run a spyware check or worry that my computer will crash.

so uhh.... OWNED!

From what you've said, it seems like you're not familiar enough with the OS. What exactly is it that you need to use Terminal for? I'm a fairly hardcore user, and I hardly ever use Terminal at all. There are probably standard methods of accomplishing whatever tasks you need that you're not aware of.

As for the rest, I don't know what to say, because I just don't know what you're talking about it. Details would be helpful. WHAT is the Finder "losing"? HOW is it not handling permissions? You can't expect us to know what you mean, because these do not sound like any common problems. It's easy to assume that any problems you have are the norm, or at least common enough for everyone to know, but these are certainly not.

Then again, you didn't really ask for help, so.....if you don't want help, then the lack of details is not a problem. But if you do want help, please be more specific.

Let's put it like this:

1.) Yes, the Finder is flawed. Ever since OS X, it's not been the same as in earlier versions. They should fix it, and I'm pretty sure they will, but right now, it's as it is.

2.) The permissions thing is a drag. Nothing else to say there. It just shouldn't _be_ that Apple's users have to do the "repair permissions" thing ever so often, and *if* the system needs a regular check/repair of the permissions, then the system should do it.

So: I have to definitely _agree_ to the _content_ of your message. However: I also have to agree with the other users in this thread. DON'T be a troll. I understand that switching to a different OS can be a difficult task. The older you are (and 15 years of Windows "experience" makes me assume you're not in your teens anymore), the more difficult it gets. Flexibility is a thing of youth, although it helps in life if you try to _stay_ flexible in your mind and body.

EdFx said:
I've used Windows XP for around fifteen years
Wow! windows xp available that many years ago? I must have missed something, all I remember is dos and those dam function keys for wordperfect.:confused:

EdFx said:
I've used Windows XP for around fifteen years and not once in that time was I ever forced to use the Terminal to rescue or cajole the operating system, nor did Explorer ever 'lose' or corrupt a single permissions file.

I've used OSX for six months and will be abandoning it completely as soon as I can sell the hugely overpriced pile of Junk that is my brand new G5 to some designer-sucker.

Why? Because OSX / Finder repeatedly 'loses' files, crashes during simple operations and worse, is incapable of handling OSX's bug riddled permissions. A problem that has been an apple joke for many years. Why after so long in development is the OSX Finder so incapable of even the simplest operations?

Oh well, at least it looks pretty on the desk, it's just a shame that's really all it's good for.
Errm if you dont like it I will take it from you ;)

ergo proxy said:
Wow! windows xp available that many years ago? I must have missed something, all I remember was dos and those dam function keys for wordperfect.:confused:

HAHA nice one

I seem to have the same problem with permissions... I keep on repairing the same permissions on and on...
I dont even have to restart the system, and permissions dont get fixed despite Disk Utility saying it repaired them.
I even tried running Disk Utility from CD, but same thing happens.

For example:

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Applications/DVD Player.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutBox.nib/objects.xib. New permissions are 33204

and, then, after repair i try "Repair Permissions" again and get:

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Applications/DVD Player.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutBox.nib/objects.xib. New permissions are 33204

Since it already assigned new permissions on the previous step, why does it do it again?

Please help!

Don't worry about any special permissions messages. It doesn't mean that the permissions aren't fixed, just that for whatever reason, Apple needs/wants to use non standard permissions on that file.

The only ones that are actually being fixed are ones that say so.

(Offtopic but still on topic for a second)

Come'on guys. This poster is just blowing steam... I mean hell he hasn't even responded yet.

Let it drop.

Yes but did he even bother to ask for help? No. He just went on venting about how Mac OS X sucks because of his experience and that he's going to sell it. It's all a waste of time if you ask me. If you really despise the system, sell it already and be done with it. Don't bitch and moan about it in vain if you don't want the solutions.

nixgeek said:
He just went on venting about how Mac OS X sucks because of his experience and that he's going to sell it.
Actually guys... I would bet that this person doesn't even own a Mac.

Odds are this person is seeding the boards here so that he'll have something to point to from a PC forum where he is having an argument about Macs.

:rolleyes:

But you've gotta love the 15 years of Windows XP statement! I mean, if you go back much more than 10 years you are back to most people running Windows 3.x on top of DOS.

It is stuff like that that makes me smile. :D

Yeah that didn't hit me when I saw it early this morning. So much for Mondays... :D

I guess it's because I usually expect answers like that from your typical Windows user on a forum. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back