Why isn't there right-click in OS X yet?

OK, sorry to bring it back the topic. However I just received an notice from Apple that stated that you could access the built in dictionary by doing a "Right-Click+ D" within any application. Only problem is they did not explain how to do a right click in OS X. I have a MacBook running OS 10.5.2. Someone please tell me how to do a right click on a laptop without a mouse.

TIA

Hold down two fingers on the trackpad and click!!!!!

All you have to do is go to System Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse and select the Trackpad tab and enable some two finger gestures that you want. Easy!

I'm glad Apple *still* hasn't released a two- or three-button mouse, but rather opted for the one-button Mighty Mouse and the "hold down your gesture-fingers on the trackpad"-solutions. Else my earlier comments could be seen as, hmmm, off the mark... ;)

I’m glad Apple *still* hasn’t released a two- or three-button mouse, but rather opted for the one-button Mighty Mouse and the “hold down your gesture-fingers on the trackpad”
So am I. I believe in Apple’s original decision that the brain should not have to make a decision about which button to click, just click. It’s probably less important today than it was when the mouse was first introduced since so many people are used to mice on computers but I’m sticking with my one button mouse and trackpads which do offer a “right button or action”.

mod_smart_cat.jpg

I have the new keyboard now so that picture is out of date.

Last edited:
I'm so used to right clicking now, I don't think I could go back to use a one button Mac mouse.

The Apple Mighty mouse seems to suffer scrolling problems (dirt builds up too quickly).

That's what I do with myself!

But on a more serious note, I'd be interested to know the RSI (repetitive strain injury) risk factors of track pads compared with one or two click mice.

But on a more serious note, I’d be interested to know the RSI (repetitive strain injury) risk factors of track pads compared with one or two click mice.
I don’t know if there’s ever been a study but my guess is that the trackpad is safer, you hardly have to move your hand. You can rest it on the desk and only move or tap your fingers.

I don’t know if there’s ever been a study but my guess is that the trackpad is safer, you hardly have to move your hand. You can rest it on the desk and only move or tap your fingers.

I would have thought the opposite. You rest your arm in the same bad way (according to wacom) as when your holding a mouse, but instead of using/tensing up your whole hand and wrist like with a mouse, your using much smaller and weaker muscles in your fingers, hand and arm to do a lot more more work than they should be able to.

Either method is bad though, so it doesn't matter, best bet is to mix up your input methods I guess.

I'm so used to right clicking now, I don't think I could go back to use a one button Mac mouse.

For me its the exact opposite. I know I can just tap on my trackpad with two fingers and get a "right click", but till today I only used it like, um... once?

I don't really see when you would ever need a right click, except sometimes in MS Office.
The only time when its really practical, is in the Finder, when I right click the desktop to change the background, but otherwise?

Well, everyone uses a computer differently so that was just my opinion.

I would have thought the opposite. You rest your arm in the same bad way (according to wacom) as when your holding a mouse, but instead of using/tensing up your whole hand and wrist like with a mouse, your using much smaller and weaker muscles in your fingers, hand and arm to do a lot more more work than they should be able to.

Either method is bad though, so it doesn't matter, best bet is to mix up your input methods I guess.
The 2 fingers I use on my trackpad have seen regular use ever since puberty, so there's nothing weak about them.

jb.

I've used two Logitech mice (one wireless and the other wired) both with great right clicking mouse buttons. Mighty Mouse is just not the same thing. Not sure why apple has been so reluctant to join the rest of the world on this for so long...

Of course this is not a new complaint as this article from 2003, referencing an even OLDER article, illustrates:
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/2231

Am I missing some part of the conversation? Apple does make a multi button mouse. The Mighty Mouse is a multi button mouse, it just comes configured with right click disabled. Apple does this because they still believe (wrongly or rightly, depending upon your opinions) that a single button is more intuitive than two buttons.

And additionally, yes, you can get a right-click equivalent by tapping w/ two fingers on the trackpad (again, disabled by default, but enabled by simply clicking on one checkbox).

So long as Steve Jobs runs the place, Macs will always come with an out of the box experience tuned to those who have little computing experience (the lowest common denominator in the user experience ladder). That's why all of the "power user" features of OS X are disabled by default. Still, it's not like OS X doesn't have these features ready to go under the hood with a simple pref tweak.

Back