Wifi: boon or bust?

michaelsanford

Translator, Web Developer
This is actually, if unbelievably, a serious question: have you had, all things considered, a good, or a bad experience with wireless networking, taking into account any aspects you like?

(Only mods can make polls?)

100%, but then my wi-fi router is currently within a metre of both computers.

However, a few months ago, I was using a laptop at the far end of my estate (Lord of the Manor etc.) and the signal was perfect.

I put his down to a good router (Netgear), a good ISP (Zen.co.uk) and a bit of luck.

I'd say entirely good. Of all the little tech problems I've had to deal with, wifi has never been an issue. I've only had to tweak it twice, once to allow BitTorrent to use port-forwarding, and once to allow my Nintendo DS to access the Internet (since the DS only supports a couple of authentication standards). Compared to just about every other system I've used, wireless is pretty trouble free.

I'd say entirely good. Of all the little tech problems I've had to deal with, wifi has never been an issue. I've only had to tweak it twice, once to allow BitTorrent to use port-forwarding, and once to allow my Nintendo DS to access the Internet (since the DS only supports a couple of authentication standards). Compared to just about every other system I've used, wireless is pretty trouble free.

Same here. I'm a bit annoyed at Nintendo for making me downgrade my wireless security to WEP.

My wireless router HAS given me a bit of trouble, but not so much the wireless part (the Macs stay wired). The router needed to be rebooted way too often for a while, but I guess the firmware updates fixed that.

I have not used wireless N yet, but the speed and range of G suit me just fine.

Back