will not wake

iguy1

Registered
Hi 10.4.11 Anybody know while file controls wake from sleep- I get the beachball if I put the computer to sleep and then try to wake. If I log out first (or log on from my other "safe" account) it works fine.I just cannot put to sleep without logging out first. Not a tremendous nuisance, but it was more convenient before this happened. Any fixes?
thanks as always,

mike

I think you need to clarify your problem -
Does your Mac go to sleep properly? That is, does it go to sleep within a few seconds, when the screen goes black, and the sleep light begins to pulse?

And, pressing any key on the keyboard should wake your Mac up within a few seconds.

At which time do you see the 'beachball'
Does the beachball eventually disappear? Or, do you have to restart your Mac?
Have you tried downloading and installing the 10.4.11 combined updater?
get that here - http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10411comboupdateppc.html
I'm assuming that you have the G4 Mac?
You can install the combined updater on top of the 10.4.11 that you are running now.
As a followup question, what external hardware do you have plugged into your Mac?

hi it goes to sleep properly (apple menu) but when I wake it, I get the terminal beach ball. If I log out first, it will sleep and wake properly. I did not try the updater because i was afraid I would lose data. external fire wire HD and a USB hub.. thanks

mike

First reset the Pram to see if that helps. Also see what your Mac is telling you go to /Applications/Utilities/Console and see all the logs to see if you can tell why it is hanging.

I will bet on a mis-behaving USB hub, or whatever device is attached to that.
What is plugged into that hub?

A quick trick is to put your Mac to sleep, then wake it. If you get the spinning beach ball, try just unplugging the USB hub from your computer. If I am right - the Mac will go quickly to normal.

Back