Will There Be A New Macpro In 2015 ?

amcliz

Registered
Hi there...

I currently have a MacPro 2010 (Mid 2010), 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon with 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC + 512GB SSD Drive with QTY 3 x 2TB internal drives.

I am looking to upgrade to the new cylindrical MacPro but I'm worried a refresh is very much around the corner. I usually invest in a new MacPro to last me for the next 4-5 years, so I don't want to jump in too soon this year if there's a strong chance that a new, improved version is just around the corner.

There's nothing wrong with my current machine... I'm running OSX Yosemite 10.10.1 and I'm using a ASUS Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle in conjunction with Continuity Activation Tool to get me all my Handoff/Continuity features.... so I'm right up to speed... but as a given I usually upgrade my machines every 5 years at the max to keep up with new technology etc...

I'm a traditional style graphic designer... my core apps would still be Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, QuarkXpress 10.5 (soon to be 64bit QuarkXpress 2015). I use Final Cut Pro really for personal/home movie editing, nothing really commercial. I do alot of large format design... 10ft x 6ft corporate graphics artworks, so I do need a workhorse... but I'm not a 4K hogging Video/Animator also.

Last time round I bought my MacPro at the very highest level I could go.... this time round... after some serious research, I realised I bought way over what I needed... so I'm hoping my new MacPro won't need to cost me as much. Any other similar designers out there willing to let me know what spec they went for... to be able to work effectively with similar apps to what I have.

Any comments or suggestions most welcome.

Regards,
Anthony

Irish MacUser & MacAddict

Well the Mac Pro hasn't been out for no more than a couple of months. It only started shipping late last year....
Where did you get that bit of news? The nMP started shipping in Dec 2013, so has been selling for more than a year.

The server-level processors used in the MacPro are not updated as often as desktop or laptop versions.
Not sure why Satcomer was offering info about refurbs, unless I misunderstood the OPs remarks.
I buy refurbs, but keep in mind that refurbs are not customizable. All you can get is what is available as complete units.

Back