windows/applications are moving to different monitors

Danjags

Registered
Hi, i’m having an issue where windows/applications are moving to different monitors, Could you please help?

I have 3 monitors, an iMac screen, a 4k tv, and an HP 1080 monitor that about 25”. I generally always keep my applications in the same place… I keep firefox (playing youtube) on the HP monitor and I keep a few applications that i use often (Ableton Live, Astropad, Resolume Avenue, and others) in the same place on the bottom left corner of the 4k TV.

However, these applications frequently move to other monitors (or different locations on the same monitor) automatically when i’m not looking. I never notice it happening as i’m using the computer, but it happens often when I come back to the computer after a break. I’m not sure if it happens 100% of the time, but it happens at least a couple times a day. It usually moves the windows in the same way- it moves Firefox to the 4k tv, it move Resolume avenue down to the bottom of the HP monitor (where its barely visible), it moves Ableton to the iMac screen, Astropad either moves to the middle of the TV or to the imac screen...

I’m thinking that it might have something to do with monitors disconnecting because the power is shut off… When i take a break and leave the room, I usually put the monitors displays to ‘display sleep’ (not actual sleep), turn the power off on my surge protectors which connect to my usb hubs (which isn’t connected to the monitors at all), and I sometimes turn the power off of 4k tv separately too. Could the powering off of the TV or display sleep be messing it up?

Also thinking that it could be some software setting or application causing it, not sure. Or is there something else?

Why is this happening? And how do i stop the windows from moving automatically?

Thanks!

(iMac 5k 2015, ) MacOSx 10.13.6 (17G65)

Try an experiment: Do not put the monitors to sleep and do not turn off the power to your surgers.

Thanks Cheryl. I dont think that this would provide an acceptable strategy if the experiment worked though- i need to turn the power off on surge protectors to and the monitors off so that i don't burn out my computer screens and cause unnecessary fire hazards when i leave my studio

How old are your monitors? Those made in the last 7 years do not have the danger of screen burn, especially the LCD’s.

Also, most any display will go to sleep (as an energy saver) within a few seconds of the video signal turning off, either because you turned the computer power off, or put it to sleep. Most modern TVs will also auto-shutoff, which may be a setting on the TV itself, where you can adjust the time for power down when there is no video input.

thanks!

How old are your monitors? Those made in the last 7 years do not have the danger of screen burn, especially the LCD’s.

ok good to know, though i'd still prefer to keep the screen black to save power i think

Also, most any display will go to sleep (as an energy saver) within a few seconds of the video signal turning off, either because you turned the computer power off, or put it to sleep. Most modern TVs will also auto-shutoff, which may be a setting on the TV itself, where you can adjust the time for power down when there is no video input.

Hmmm ok. I just tried letting the 15 minute timer elapse and it makes the windows move after that, also tried turning off the timer and just using a screensaver on the tv but then the screen never goes off. Wondering what else to try now

Plus Windows have a habit to open apps in last place opened!

I want this to happen but its not for these

Back