Windows drivers for Leopard?

YukonCornelious

Registered
I split leopard with a family member since you can install it on five computers and we only have a combined three macs. The install went fine, but then he went home (600 miles away) and took the disk with him. Now I want to install bootcamp, but it turns out you have to use the Leopard DVD to install the drivers for windows. Is there any reliable place to get these drivers, or do I just need to get ahold of the disc again?

Thanks.

Be aware that those drivers Soulwar linked to don't specify the version of BootCamp, and that the drivers for the Tiger version of BootCamp may be different than the drivers for the Leopard version of BootCamp.

I would recommend getting a hold of the original Leopard install DVD in order to set up BootCamp.

Yes, make sure you use the disk that those drivers can be installed from (get your Leopard disk back :))

I do agree with the other users. The easiest and safest way is to get the install disk back.
However, having said that, I did download the file myself and it does appear to be for Leopard. There is some info that comes with it that you can read. (which appears to be THE manual for the Leopard drivers ) All in all, it looks exactly like it came from the install cd...

Even if those are the drivers for the Windows portion of BootCamp, unless you have already set up your BootCamp partition, I don't think you'll be able to use them -- simply because (I believe) you must boot from the Leopard install DVD in order to partition your hard drive and set up the Windows partition for BootCamp.

You can launch the bootcamp application and set up your partition, but once you do your install, windows is worthless because you don't have the drivers. You have to boot up in windows with the drivers disc in the machine AFTER you fully install windows. You can do everything else without the disc. I'm leaning towards better safe than sorry, I'll probably just get the disc in the mail.

... simply because (I believe) you must boot from the Leopard install DVD in order to partition your hard drive and set up the Windows partition for BootCamp.

Your belief is incorrect. To set up your bootcamp partition, you run the BootCamp utility which is in your utilities folder. The bootcamp setup is the first one from Apple that allows you to change the partition configuration without booting to another disk, and (hopefully) without affecting data already on your hard drive. Further - with Leopard (nothing to do with BootCamp), you can change partition numbers and size, at least to a limited degree, while booted to your system. I've used it a number of times for temporary partition changes. (Oh yes, don't forget the importance of backing up before you do that kind of thing. Seems safe, but there's always a chance of failure when messing about with partitions)

Back