Would 512MB RAM be sufficient?

I'm using 512 MB on my iMac G5 running Tiger, so I don't see why you couldn't do it with the Mac mini. However, if you're doing some seriously intensive stuff with photos and movies, I recommend upgrading to more than just 512 MB as you'll notice the slowdowns.

Agreed. 512MB is the sweet spot for Panther. With Tiger it's more like the practical minimum, but still very usable.

Maybe it's because I AM running on an iMac G5, but I haven't had that any problems running Tiger 10.4.5 with 512 MB RAM. I also use GarageBand along with some other apps in the background and it doesn't seem sluggish at all to me.

(This is for Tiger only, Panther was better with 512 MB RAM...) When my PB only recognised half of my RAM, it was DOG-slow. Back on a gigabyte, it feels much, much better. I consider 512 MB enough for typing text in TextEdit as well as having Mail.app open and Safari with less than 7 tabs. If you intend to do anything else, consider having 768 MB or more.

512MB will be fine, if you only search the web and don't mind huge swap files. I haven't been messing around with much lately that requires gobs of memory, but 512MB under Tiger just isn't cutting it for me. It usually takes less than a week for me to accumulate 1GB in swap files with 500,000+ pageouts—and that's from surfing the web & e-mail, running Word, viewing QT movies, etc.

Even with Panther I would suggest 1GB for moderate use is probably a good number. 512MB should be regarded as the absolute minimum, IMO. Definitely so with Tiger.

I believe on budgeting my RAM down the road from my Mac purchases. It took my months to get my G5 (see my signature) up to it's point. I however plan to sop because I have seen negligible returns after the 4 gig, but that is just me. I can imagine there are Mac users that will be able to see the difference though.

The G4 Mini supports up to 1GB of RAM. The new Intel Mini supports up to 2GB. You can upgrade it yourself, but it's not easy. I chose to have a professional install my RAM when I upgraded it from 256MB to 1GB last year.

To be a bit more specific: G4 systems have one slot (PC2700 or PC3200 dims), Intel systems have two slots (PC5300 DDR2 so-dimms).

mdnky said:
To be a bit more specific: G4 systems have one slot (PC2700 or PC3200 dims),
Cool. Are the DIMMs easily accessible or is it just too cramped inside the box?

Peace...

Back