Would we see Mac .NET?

The peanut gallery hangs just above the stage in a theatre and is were people throw peanuts at the performers when they are unhappy with the show.

OK, i see where youre going there. I know anything written with J++ does only work with the MS JVM which of course only makes it useable in Windows, I too dont see the point in that and as you say it does go against the entire principle behind Java.

I did however read a while ago on www.slashdot.org about one of the main developers in Gnome saying that he quite liked the .Net idea in principle and that if he has his way that will be the direction in which Gnome will be heading in the future(Of course this caused a huge stir in Linux Land). Hopefully this is an indication that the situation with J++ is not going to be mirrored with .Net.

How this stands now that HailStorm has been cancelled i dont know though.

Like I said, my fear is based on my past experiences with Microsoft (and their lawyers :( ).

This is not to say that Apple has been saintly, it hasn't. Before Apple acquire NeXT, the landscape was quite different. OpenStep looked like it was going to be the wave of the future. You had OPENSTEP for Mach (an operating system that ran on NeXT, Intel, SPARC and PA-RISC hardware platforms), OpenStep Solaris (an alternative GUI/development environment to CDE and OpenWindows in Solaris), and OpenStep Enterprise (which included WebObjects, which was a runtime environment for Solaris and Windows NT). Sun even bought a suite of office apps (from Lighthouse) much like they would later do with StarOffice, to prepare for the changes that they thought would be happening.

Apple buying NeXT ended all that. OpenStep Solaris ended with version 1.1 (and would only run on Solaris 2.4-2.6). Apple dropped support for Solaris as a development platform for what was renamed Yellow Box. The one thing that didn't change was the ability access WebObjects from any platform.

There are few who provide authoring solutions for PDF on platforms other than Windows and Macs, but you can still view PDF files on almost every platform. Access to information (specially via the web) needs to be protected for all platforms no matter how small the user base.

I would love to think that Microsoft is going to be a changed company, and .NET would be a positive contribution to computing, but after spending time with Microsoft's attorneys over the last couple weeks I honestly have problems holding out hope.

This is really not just a Mac vs Windows thing for me. I work with a number of other environments (Irix and Solaris are my primary other operating systems), there is an MSHTML that is designed to only work with Internet Explorer, I use Netscape on both of these systems, which makes it hard to view those pages. And we shouldn't forget when MSN turned away people because their browsers identified themselves as something other than IE (or Netscape 4.7). Why have servers that turn away browsers by other companies? Where is the point of this feature of IIS? Again, this type of action by Microsoft makes me fear what they might do with .NET (even if it doesn't hurt the Mac platform).

ahhhhh.... you have summed well the reasons why most of us here hate MS, the sad thing is that only the people that hate MS and use other platforms know or aknowlege that MS is probably, in comparison to most companies out there, the Devil of the IT world.

and i appreciate you both have calmed down a bit and stopped insulting eachother. that did not help any of your arguments, be it bad or good.

Back