Would you say Tiger is recommended for the average Home user?

Convert

Tech
Hey there,

I am a basic home user, and there are some features I'd love, that are on Tiger, like Spotlight. However, they aren't necessary.

Anyhow, would you recommend Tiger to me? I am using Panther. Is it worth buying Tiger, for a student?

Thanks

It of course depends. I don't see a "need", really. Panther's a good operating system. But a few of the features will just be so nice to have that you won't want to miss out on them. You've mentioned Spotlight, which I still consider the single most important Tiger feature. It'll simply enable you to finally find what you want very, very quickly. Sure, you can use Panther's search in the Finder, but it won't be as fast and it won't be as thorough.

There are other things. Automator, for example. Not sure whether you're a candidate for it, but it'll certainly help ease a lot of things for a lot of users.

Dashboard will be fun - and hopefully also useful (depends on the widgets devs, of course...).

Yeah, I was using Konfab, I found it OK... a bit dragging though, as DB is a OS built feature maybe it won't be so draining. Automator seems very cool, I just watched the short movie, it looks very good. I think this would be helpful, I have been interested in Apple Script, but I know nothing about that kinda stuff. Automater isvery appealing. I will look at the other features.

Thanks!

Also multi party video/audio chat (iChat AV) is only available in Tiger, which should make a huge difference to the overall experience.

Kap

i'm a semi-pro mac user and see no need to move to tiger. I use quicksilver and it does so much more than spotlight can. tiger also crawls compared to panther performance wise. to be totally honest many of the tiger features seem to be fluff. just my opinion..

Well if you like quicksilver, you may have to upgrade, which I use every now and then though I prefer my own apple scripts. Alci say's he may only release the final for 10.4. Sherlock vs Watson now QS vs SL.

long live velveta!!!

Erh... No. QuickSilver quite definitely will rather be an addition to Spotlight than a competitor, actually...

Plus there's the fact that Apple will only support Panther for a little while after the release of Tiger.

Application developers too.

It's always worth an upgrade once you can afford it. I'd probably wait until 10.4.3 or so before purchasing so that you know the teething problems have been ironed out. But as a student, it's really cheap enough that it should be considered an essential.

Plus it'll make your computer run faster (for some things; code optimisation is the bomb)

texanpenguin said:
Plus there's the fact that Apple will only support Panther for a little while after the release of Tiger.

Wha...? I would think that Apple would continue to support Panther at least for a year or two -- look at Jaguar: they're still releasing security updates and stuff for it.

I agree, Tiger may not be something you need to have the minute it comes out. If your computer is new (with three years), you should look into Tiger at some point, shortly after release. As a student you can get the discount, which is even more of an incentive. I have an aging PB, which Panther runs great on. I am hoping that Tiger gives me another year out of my computer.

It's always worth an upgrade once you can afford it. I'd probably wait until 10.4.3 or so before purchasing so that you know the teething problems have been ironed out. But as a student, it's really cheap enough that it should be considered an essential.

Plus it'll make your computer run faster (for some things; code optimisation is the bomb)[/QUOTE]

I'd wait for reports on 10.4.0. To wait for 10.4.1 doesn't make much sense to me, honestly. Sure, Apple's had some problems with 10.3.0 (FW-HD bug!), but that doesn't in any way mean 10.4 would be similar. And only because there _will_ be a 10.3.9 doesn't mean you shouldn't have upgraded to Panther before 10.3.8 or something... I think Tiger will be quite ready for consumption at 10.4.0 already. Let people test it and report here on macosx.com. Read the reviews, read the bug-reports (also on macfixit etc.) and then decide.

i will upgrade the minute it is released (depending on WHEN it is released, i will be at archeological excavations in italy for ten weeks starting in April). i'll do it cuz i think that it is the funniest part of having a computer; installing the latest OS! (does that make me a nerd?).
but what troubles me with Tiger is the lack, so far, of REALLY exciting stuff. Like the new Finder in Panther. that was something the really changed the way i used the OS. And exposé.
so far we got
1) Spotlight (from what i have seen it looks really good, but i dont search for stuff that often. my computer is very tidy.
2) Dashboard (funny. but as fryke stated; it depends on the widget developers if it will turn out to be usefull).
3) Automator (will probably do a couple of own scripts cuz it will make me feel like a man ;) but nothing groundbreaking).
4) iChat multi (i have not enough mac friends that like eachother to find that usefull just yet).
5) new Mail looks interesting.
i realise that there are at least 145 other little details, but have i forgotten anything major?
i look forward to the new glossy menubar, though. and Susan.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Wha...? I would think that Apple would continue to support Panther at least for a year or two -- look at Jaguar: they're still releasing security updates and stuff for it.

exactly.. thank you.

edit: now that I think of it I even remember a security update for 10.1 a few months ago.

Well, for me, Tiger holds more than enough promises. Spotlight, for example, is far more than just 'searching for files'. For example it means I can have 'active' mailboxes. Like one that shows me all the "unread mails", wherever they're automatically filed in. I can also create a project based mailbox without having to set up about five rules separately which I'll later have to undo, because one of the senders is also in another project or something.
Project-based working is also great in the Finder with the burnable folders.
One for one, Tiger's features might not seem like the big deal, but then again: Panther's new Finder wasn't _that_ much of an achievement, was it? The sidebar, from my point of view, only now makes sense with 'saved searches' (like smart playlists in iTunes).
Dashboard widgets will certainly enhance my daily workflow. I'm looking forward to those Stickies, for example. The "old" ones were just an application. Now I can have more than just stickies on my "dashboard". I'm wondering what I'll end up with, really, but I guess the translation widget is a good thing already, so's the dictionary (although that needs more stuff, like international wikipedia support etc. - but someone can do that...).
Safari will have RSS built in. Not a big deal for me, because I'll still use NetNewsWire. But for others...
QuickTime 7 probably will _only_ come with Tiger. That'll make some people upgrade, I guess, since H.264 will be pushed by Apple and a lot of other people, AFAICS.
And there's a lot of smaller changes that make Panther look "old" once you're acquainted with Tiger. I remember looking at Jaguar after working on Panther for a while: Same thing, really.

Don't forget other really usefull stuff, i.e. 64 bit is the big one for G5 machines.

Movies (real ones), Oracle, Corporate Business processing apps, Webservers, Number crunchers, Oil & Gas, Weather Simulation, Science, compute clusters.

thewelshman said:
Movies real ones, Oracle, Corporate Business processing apps, Webservers, Number crunchers, Oil 7 gas Weather, Simulation, Science, clusters oh and our checkbook

that did not make sense to me. :)
seriously, what do you mean?

I was a bit glib I guess.

I work in the Oil business in the UK and its dry as toast, I manage the UNIX exploration systems and I see MicroSoft everywhere because its got a huge amount of support from business, its programmers and vendors. Corporate business applications which used to be the perview of UNIX are now handled by some version of MicroSoft. As a side result, I'm a single UNIX person in a sea on PC bods, which are in fact doing less but perceived as doing more by the CEOs that count.

Prior to MacOSX there wasn't a valid OS (I use that in the nicest possible way) on which Apple could compete. Apple, in the areas I'm talking about, has lost out to Linux because the process got started much sooner, i.e. as far back as 1994 if not further.

Example: Another way of looking at it is that geoscientific software vendors, and others like them, will not produce versions of their software on a PPC platform, Apple is still viewed, worngly!, as an OS9 machine with people doing Arty type DTP things. I get that last comment all the time here!

MacOSX has been great!, its been stable, has a good development environment for creating scientific apps (DNA, protein sequencing, molecular dymanmic, etc), Oracle, processing power using clusters. The examples highlight that a MacOSX Desktop machine is a serious beast worthy of attention by companies like Haliburton, Geoquest and so forth.

With the 64 bit G5 chip you gota have a 64 bit OS hence Tiger and just keep the message out there that the MacOSX platform can do everything that MicroSoft, SUN, IBM, HP, SGI, Linux can and a whole lot more given the strength of its desktop applications.

So yes, a 64 bit OS is crucial for survival.

Trouble is MicroSoft's penetration in the corporate sector,into schools and into homes as a result (in the UK anyway), just by simple diffusion alone is 100s of times faster than any active competitor, never mind any advertising that MicroSoft might get up to.

Back