Wow! Internet Explorer 5.2.2

Anyway, it's quite clear: Explorer on Mac Microsoft doesn't give a sh!t about, and any support of it, like this installer, is crappy.

I hope Chimera will quickly integrate Flash and Quicktime, as well as real media, so that Explorer can go to the Trash.

But still... I find this 5.2.2 version quite fast ! Browsing this site, for instance.

I gave the new IE version a trial run. Still allows popups. Still often fails to render page text. Shows the b&w spinner way too often. Overwrote my modified DefaultHelperApps.plist file to reinstate itself as default browser. Left its installation log at the root level of my boot drive.
It's no longer on my system. :D

Has anybody else noticed that IE's Get Info hasn't changed? It threw me off at first - I thought it installed it somewhere else and what I was looking at was 5.1.

Attachments

• explorer5.jpg
    explorer5.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 72
I also tried to drag and drop an image from Explorer onto my desktop. It should just create the document on the desktop, as if you right-clicked (or control-clicked) on the image and saved as…, but it's never worked for me in OS X. Do any other Explorer users have this problem? :(

Glad to see IE up to speed. I am not much on the other browsers. Although they might be slightly faster (than the latest IE) they just don't render a page like IE does... and in my opinion, that is better.

Admin

Originally posted by Admin
I am not much on the other browsers. Although they might be slightly faster (than the latest IE) they just don't render a page like IE does... and in my opinion, that is better.
LOL! So you prefer a browser that doesn't render all the text on a webpage?
I guess it's a matter of taste... :p

I don't have QE... so I don't suffer from those problems those of you with newer computers have with the text rendering. Guess that makes me feel better, but not really. :)

Font smoothing is annoying, I turn it off and appears as though I would haven't any rendering issues if I had a newer system and was on IE.

So, either way, I'd probably come out ahead. But, thats not always the case in all areas. :)

Admin

why is it that, when i maximize IE, it does not fill the entire screen? in chimera, and other web browsers, and other programs, maximizing means filling the entire screen (except the area that is horizontal with the dock, of course).

IE just resizes into some bigger, yet odd, size.

any ideas?

Originally posted by wtmcgee
why is it that, when i maximize IE, it does not fill the entire screen? in chimera, and other web browsers, and other programs, maximizing means filling the entire screen (except the area that is horizontal with the dock, of course).

IE just resizes into some bigger, yet odd, size.

any ideas?
IE behaves like most other Mac programs:
The green maximize button resizes the window so that the page inside fits.
Sometimes it does that after some odd rules.

Press Alt + Green Button, and IE resizes to your full screen.

The IE problem mentioned--disappearing text--has been solved, on another list.

If you go to Peferences>Web Browser>Interface Extras, and de-select "Enable Quartz text smoothing," your disappearing text problem will be solved.

The same tip applies to all MS products that use text smoothing, so far as I know.

Originally posted by MDLarson
I also tried to drag and drop an image from Explorer onto my desktop. It should just create the document on the desktop, as if you right-clicked (or control-clicked) on the image and saved as…, but it's never worked for me in OS X. Do any other Explorer users have this problem? :(

For me it's hit and miss. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Yet another reason I'm using OmniWeb now.

Am I the only one whos splash screen changed drasticly?

iesplash.jpg

1200 posts!

Can it be gotten straight from the installer as a single executable package? I keep a lot of stuff going and arranged 'just so', and only log out or reboot monthly. And even more than that, I don't want to have to reset a bunch of prefs, which the probably do because the more people complain about it, the more it gets out there to the masses that software installation on the Mac isn't always as totally painless as they might have heard.

I only keep IE on this machine so that my girlfriend can come over and flush the detritus from her Notmail account every other day, and also testing the occasional web page.

But I swear, that's all I *ever* use it for. I never, ever, ever, do anything else with it, not even a little bit.

Okay, I do need it to access my bank's web interface. But that's really it! I promise! (Well, aside from eTrade, that is.)

Of course, I haven't tried those things since I moved from Mozilla to Chimera last month. I know they're not gonna work, but here I go, with the slightest glimmer of hope in my eye...

If you encounter a misconfigured VISE installer you can bypass the stupidity by using AppleScript like:

tell application "badly configured installer" to doinstall

It will install without quitting the apps.

As for Explorer itself the primary reason it's faster is probably due to fiddling with the event handling which was tuned for MacOS. Unfortunately it appears they are still using the Event Manager instead of Carbon events. This means polling and other evils which leads to using idle CPU and less responsiveness.

Unfortunately all other browsers suck, they have horrible interfaces! Explorer is the only browser to get drag+drop right.

How embarassing.

Originally posted by strobe
Unfortunately all other browsers suck, they have horrible interfaces! Explorer is the only browser to get drag+drop right.

How embarassing.
Can you drag-n-drop images to your desktop? I can't… (See my earlier posts)

Originally posted by MDLarson
Can you drag-n-drop images to your desktop? I can't… (See my earlier posts)
I can drag and drop images to the desktop.
Weird...

Originally posted by strobe

tell application "badly configured installer" to doinstall

It will install without quitting the apps.

I tried the above but I got the following error. "The application 'Install Internet Explorer' got an error: Connection is invalid" The error is highlighted at "doinstall" in the applescript.

Back