WWDC 2007. thoughts? guesses?

I was a little dissapointed this keynote, they didnt show very much that we didn't already know. But i'll have to wait till the video to see if its any better.

I for one quite like the new look of Finder / Desktop / Dock in Leopard. It is a little too glamorous in a few spots - I think putting Coverflow in Finder is the computing equivalent of putting pink neons under your car. However the use of stacks, and using metadata to provide multipage previewing capabilities is a very neat way to improve usability. The way Finder is now arranged, with an iTunes source-list style on the left pane, is quite good and would make passing around work in a small office like mine a lot neater.

And kudos to Apple for making an iPhone SDK available - it will make it a more viable proposition in the long term.

I wonder when they will make the latest build/showing available to developers (not at the conf).

Sadly, they didn't do that.

So I see. I just read over the press release, and the wording sounds a little strange and uncertain. It sounds like Apple have decided to do this due to strong public feedback, and are still working out the details.

Doesn't the new OS X Dock look strangely similar to the dock in Sun Microsystems' Project Looking Glass? ;)

Apple's Dock still looks much better though.... :D

Attachments

• Leopard.jpg
    Leopard.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 17
  • ProjLookGlass.jpg
    ProjLookGlass.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 19
nice find nix -- very similar!
I have my dock down the left side, not sure how well that will work with the new dock.

No hardware announcements which is disappointing. And still no indication of a new iPod. I realise it is WWDC, so iPod isn't exactly a high priority, but it's been so long between revisions. iPod is really starting to look dated -- I hope Apple aren't completely abandoning the iPod line on the assumption the iPhone will take over.

So I see. I just read over the press release, and the wording sounds a little strange and uncertain. It sounds like Apple have decided to do this due to strong public feedback, and are still working out the details.

Well they basically just reminded people that they could make their own websites and view them in Safari. That's as far as third party development gets on the iPhone. Very disappointing. :(

If it truly is OS X, it will hopefully be hacked soon after release.

There will be no iPod updates until at least September. The whole free iPod when you buy a Mac thing is to get rid of the older models.

web2.0 apps is a funny name for dashboard widgets. they needn't be online as such, they just run 'within' a safari shell (remember, they needn't have the safari UI). they're just going to be widgets. you can make quite a lot with widgets.

i think this is going to be like voice recording and in-line mp3 encoding, other mp3 players have this ability, the iPod doesn't. the ipod has quite restrictive features compared to the competition, but they realised that feature creep doesn't make a good product. the iPod is spartan, simple, and clean. and has sold 100m units as a result. if you really want third party apps, get a treo.

i think the iPhone/Treo argument will resemble the iPod/iRiver debate quite similarly.

Time machine backs up wirelessly! AHHH! sweet! all comps can use 1 large drive! That answers the questions for those with laptops.

Also i think for cover-flow mode within the finder we should have the options of viewing files vertically and not just horizontally. But vertically with a twist. Picture a vertical doc with magnification turned on. Now picture what time machine looks like. Now picture them together. Something like time machine with magnification. I think that would be sweet for an option of cover flow. If only my suggestions could have been heard! Oh well one can dream :)

Am I the only one that thinks the new Finder Quick Look's preview looks like it will be really handy? Scrolling thru a document without even opening it will be somewhat of time saver.

web2.0 apps is a funny name for dashboard widgets. they needn't be online as such, they just run 'within' a safari shell (remember, they needn't have the safari UI). they're just going to be widgets. you can make quite a lot with widgets.
They _specifically_ mentioned that those will be webapps, not widgets. You don't download them, you _access_ them. Within Safari. You can probably disable the URL-bar in Safari to hide its own UI, but it runs within Safari. No freedom, baby.

I like everything but the new dock. The new dock is overkill on the eye candy. C'mon! 3D appearance with reflections!!? There essentially is nothing new for the dock functionally other than 'fanning' documents or seeing the entire contents of folders in the dock in a graphical way. The current way of seeing nested folders works fine for me. I guess I'm a functionalist who just wants to get work done as efficiently as possible. I hope Apple offers an option to change the appearance of the dock to match the dock in Tiger. The 3D appearance in Leopard is a little too thick on the 3D theme for me.

Agreed. Plus: I hide the Dock all the time anyway. I launch apps with LaunchBar and for switching apps, the Dock doesn't have to show either, since we've got that fancy Dock-double at the center of the main screen appearing when alt-tabbing. The new appearance might lure me into showing it once in a while, though, and I've been waiting for stacks (piles) for a while. Wish they were implemented in the Finder instead of the Dock, but alas: They're here at least.

Back