Wwdc 2008

See, I knew I would be wrong. :p

But for me it was kind of a snorefest what with it being the Worldwide iPhone Developers Conference. :rolleyes: :p

I really hope one of the improvements in Snow Leopard is the ability to customize the GUI.

It's all just getting stale to me.

My concern are the system requirements. There's more talk of 64-bit in 10.6 from that page. Will this include the G5? And what about those people running 32-bit Core Duos?

The G5 is a 64-bit machine, yes.

Saying "64-bit" is NOT equivalent to saying "NOT 32-bit". I highly doubt Apple would ditch support for the first generation of MacBook Pros. They do talk of "slimming" the OS down so that it takes less hard drive space -- perhaps the installer will detect 32- vs. 64-bit and only install the binaries needed, instead of installing all 32-bit and 64-bit libraries regardless of architecture (as it does now).

That I know, but there's question as to whether PPC support will remain in 10.6 which is why I'm concerned. The G5 is 64-bit so it meets that requirement, but it's obviously not Intel. :(

Saying "64-bit" is NOT equivalent to saying "NOT 32-bit". I highly doubt Apple would ditch support for the first generation of MacBook Pros. They do talk of "slimming" the OS down so that it takes less hard drive space -- perhaps the installer will detect 32- vs. 64-bit and only install the binaries needed, instead of installing all 32-bit and 64-bit libraries regardless of architecture (as it does now).

That is true, but something to keep an eye on. As for the detection for 32/64 bit CPUs, I imagine that if the CPU is 64-bit that it would install both libraries just for backwards compatibility while just installing the 32-bit libraries for 32-bit processors, especially when dealing with third party apps. I'm surprised that it's not doing this with Leopard now as it would be a major waste of space to have 64-bit libraries on 32-bit Macs that can run Leopard.

When I look at the settings tab for my Xcode projects, I have a good chuckle. If I wanted to, I can make a binary that supports PPC, PPC64, x86, x86-64. Now that's a real F-A-T binary.

Well I have come to a realization, 10.5.4 will have to come by July 11th to incorporate Mobile Me instead of .Mac in the System Preferences pane. Plus incorporate the address in all the iApps. What do you think?

Microsoft Exchange Support

Snow Leopard includes out-of-the-box support for Microsoft Exchange 2007 built into Mail, Address Book, and iCal. Mac OS X uses the Exchange Web Services protocol to provide access to Exchange Server 2007. Because Exchange is supported on your Mac and iPhone, you’ll be able to use them anywhere with full access to your email, contacts, and calendar.

Oh this is an astounding improvement. Native support for RCP over HTTP ms exchange. People have been crying for this for a long time as the only program capable of connecting has been Microsoft's entourage pro edition.

Back