WWDC News!

ddma

The Most Stupid Member
Although the WWDC keynote is still underway, a few key points have already been made.

Sherlock 3 will ship 1ith 10.2. Details to follow.

OS 10.2 will be released "later this summer," with one more small release (we're assuming 10.1.5) due out before then.

New features in 10.2:
multithreading support
integrated search
spring loaded folders
automatic thumbnail creation

"Mac OS 9 isn't dead for our customers, but it is for you. Today we say goodbye to Mac OS 9 for all future development," said CEO Jobs, setting the direction for the keynote.

No new products (two button mice, iBooks) have been announced at this point, and such announcements seem unlikely giving the nature of the keynote.

- spymac.com

I hate to tell you guys, but "late summer" is code for September 2xth (ie, the day before fall)...

They pulled the same exact thing with 10.1. Everyone expected it at MWNY 2001, but it didn't come until September 19th, I believe.

Mmmmm Quartz extreme.. Hardware accelerated Quartz. Not possible on the old Rage cards, but on AGP2x with 32mb of vram our higher you are golden.

Aparently uses OpenGL to do the acceleration.

YES!!!

Quartz Extreme: Takes the compositing engine in Quartz, and accelerates it in graphics cards. Combines 2D, 3D and video in one hardware pipeline via OpenGL. "Everything on the screen is being drawn in hardware by OpenGL." Requires AGP 2x and 32MB of video RAM.

Now all I need is a girlfriend...

Inkwell sounds interesting too. Not sure how usefull this will be for desktop users, but its always good to see apple promote its handwriting recognition IP.

I am still sad about having 16MB of VRAM in my PowerBook... My TiBook has 1 month old only!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if Inkwell uses Newton technology... Hmm.. I can't see them totally starting from scratch for this.

So, us iBook owners will still get slow screen draws? Hmph.. they should have given the last 2 years of new Macs default 32 MB video ram....

Looks like DBKit is back in 10.2. Some how tied to BlueTooth.

Will be nice to have desktop applications with easy db access.

Apple-made AIM compatible messaging built into Jaguar!!! may seem like nothing to most, but i am very happy about that, hopefully it will have file transfer! SWEET iChat! i love it

Originally posted by RyanLang
Apple-made AIM compatible messaging built into Jaguar!!! may seem like nothing to most, but i am very happy about that, hopefully it will have file transfer! SWEET iChat! i love it

I hope it can connect to other chat servers too! AOL IM and Yahoo! IM are all I use!

We will have to see, but iChat may bring me back to using AIM to talk with my friends. Moved on to MSN and ICQ because of the extreme crappyness of the Os X client.

I hoped Apple had made an MSN/ICQ/AIM all-in-one messaging program tho~

What would be really nice would be if it was expandable by plugins. That would allow other developers to add instant messengers to the client with out Apple having to develope them.

Jaguar will have:

QuickTime 6
Inkwell Handwriting Support
Sherlock 3
Numerous Finder Improvements, including Simple Finder for Kids....
iChat Instant Messanging via AOL network
Quartz Extreme
Rendevous network services
USB Printer Sharing
Numerous Accessibility Options...

Yeah, this will be a full priced upgrade. Bank on it.

Wooooohooooo!!! Clustering!

Jobs: "A week from tomorrow there'll be some news on the server front." May 14th: Apple introducing a dedicated server, rack mount model.

Back