Your Internet Connection Poll

How do you connect to the Internet?

• Cable/DSL (or similar speed)

• Dial-Up Modem (or similar speed)

• Dedicated (T1, DS3, Work, University)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
2048 kbps downstream, 400 kbps upstream. Cablecom Switzerland just upgraded my line (from 600/200) and reduced the price at the same time (~50 USD per month). Nice, nice, nice. :)

Comcast Cable....dialup...I haven't done that in over 5 years...that was back in the stone age of computing. I can't imagine that people still do that. Even my father who did dial up when he travels no longer does it. He's got wifi service with T-Mobile. Whenever he's in an airport he goes to an airport lounge. If he's in NY or LA he just stops outside a starbucks and grabs his email on his G4 PB. Dial Up is a thing of the past! History!

A friend of mine at work is picking up cable AND DSL because he wants the added speed that a second link will give him. He's such a nerd.

Then I realized that the way the utilities are run here, I can actually get DSL from Verizon AND RCN, while at the same time get Cable modem from RCN and Comcast, for *4* lines.

...But I'm not that nerdy =)

(I actually have cable TV from Comcast and RCN right now - RCN has just never turned off the jacks from when the previous tenants lived here, even after I've called them twice about it. So instead I have a TV in the bedroom to take advantage of it - beats paying to have them set up a second jack, or running the cable myself...)

Cable from earthlink... *zoom*
Ultra Fast, I think it was sunday night at like 1 am once I got 800kb/sec downloading from developer.apple.com!

Still dialing up in Cairo, but thinking of taking a plunge into the shifting world of Egyptian DSL...

NTL:home is my ISP on cable modem

600down, 128 up. enough for what i do.

some companies do offer home users a 1mb service but its not heard of much - fryke, 2mb must scream :)

maybe the uk are behind everyone else in telecommunications, some regions don't even have broadband at all yet

Oh, there's regions in the US that don't have broadband yet, too. UK's not the only one. ;)

Comcast cable here, too. Though I've never cared to check the up/down speeds. :p

Earthlink DSL at home - 1.5Mb/128Kb, and I consistently get close to the published speeds.

At the office, even though I have to use a Windoze PC, we do have a 10Gb fibre connection, so I don't suffer for bandwidth ;-)

SBC Yahoo! DSL down here in Texas -- 1.5Mbit down, 128k up... and yeah, it sucks trying to upload big files. Downloading screams, though.

Comcast cable. Just waiting for 12/1/03 when their bumping the speed from 1.5 to 3.0 in my area.

I was wondering how accurate it was myself, because I don't think thats right. But if it is, I definitely can't tell from the way some sites load.

fryke said:
2048 kbps downstream, 400 kbps upstream. Cablecom Switzerland just upgraded my line (from 600/200) and reduced the price at the same time (~50 USD per month). Nice, nice, nice. :)

Net2000 is still on the "old" 600/200 and will go smoothly to 2000/400 by Jan 1st.

Back