Your Internet Connection Poll

How do you connect to the Internet?

• Cable/DSL (or similar speed)

• Dial-Up Modem (or similar speed)

• Dedicated (T1, DS3, Work, University)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mozilla has much better results than Safari, and I tried both several times !

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 13
Road Runner here. Was #1 in the US at one point, not sure if it is anymore but they just upped the speeds for us again. Coming from ADSL, cable is a dream.

Urbansory said:
i ran a few tests, the CNET test returned 1024 kbps
Another from a different test returned 1064 kbps
Another site 1397 kbps
Mcafee (http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/test_3000.asp) 6.482 MBps

Still not all that fast when compared to my old college connection, because that thing could take 650mb in under 15 seconds, and I was shocked when it did.

That macafee one is weird.... My results were:

87.781 Mbps
(10.973 MBps)

i only wish....

dslreports says: 1436 kbps

well. i just moved appartments 1 week ago and have to wait for my new setup.

in my old a appartment there was a LAN network setup for the whole building and it was 10mbit. yes it was amazing. oh.,. and it WAS FREE (included in rent costs)

anyways. the connection i am about to get will probably be adsl or xdsl of some kind and its speed will be from 8 to 26 mbit (it depends on the network around here). 8mbit is amazing. but im sure id prefer 26 mbit. oh and all this will cost around 35 euros per month :) cheerz mates.

steven_lufc said:
NTL:home is my ISP on cable modem

600down, 128 up. enough for what i do.

some companies do offer home users a 1mb service but its not heard of much - fryke, 2mb must scream :)

maybe the uk are behind everyone else in telecommunications, some regions don't even have broadband at all yet

Check out Bulldog DSL, they do deals were you get 512 daytime, then 1 or 2 mb overnight at a very reduced rate. I think the 1mb version is about £25/month, which is pretty competetive (but you need your own router), and is more widely available than the 2mb (which seems to be London only).

Getting it next week, when i move into my new place!!! Moving from student grime to bachelor pad heaven, can't wait!
Still doesn't compare to my access at university though, am on main transatlantic net link, and have had 1mbyte/sec from apple support (movie download in 40 mins)

ora

no, that's outrageous. Unless it takes you less then a second to download anything under 100Mb...

ElCoco, how do you like SBC? I am in Dallas with SBC, and the speed is actually pretty awful. I pay 50 bucks monthly and get consistantly low speeds (768/128 advertised, 300/100 actual).

I have a buddy who lives in Greenville (podunk town) that pays $40/mo total for cable tv AND 1.5MB cable internet. The bastard.

Hehe... dave17lax: I'm in San Antonio, and the DSL was flaky here in the beginning about 5 years ago, but its improved phenomenally. The advertised speed is 1.5Mbit down/128k up, and I get pretty close to that. The advertised rate is $49.95/mo., but they're running specials at $30/mo. for the first year -- however, my year is already up and they're still only charging me $30/mo.!

I'm thinking about switching to Time Warner Cable internet, though, since they just upped the speed to 3Mbit down, $30/mo. for the first 6 mo. The thing that's getting me looking at cable is the faster download speed, and the fact that DSL upload speed is total crap. Cable I think is synchronous, so i'd get the same upload speed as the download speed.

Try calling back the DSL company you've got DSL from and complain that you're not seeing speeds close to the advertised speed. That's what I did, because they put me on a 384 down/128 up plan in the beginning, and I simply called back and told them that I was supposed to be getting the 1.5/128 package, and they switched me over without any questions, with no rate change! If it's SBC/Yahoo! DSL, you should have the same kind of luck that I did...

Well compared to what I had during my college years, it is bad, but I guess it is fast enough, I don't have any problems. I pay $26.95. Only bad thing is if you cancel out before you have the service for a year, you will owe $200. And i might have to cancel, and I really don't want to pay that $200.

steven_lufc said:
NTL:home is my ISP on cable modem

600down, 128 up. enough for what i do.

some companies do offer home users a 1mb service but its not heard of much - fryke, 2mb must scream :)

maybe the uk are behind everyone else in telecommunications, some regions don't even have broadband at all yet

in sweden almost every connection is at least 1mbps and many of us here in stockholm have 10mbit.. (tops 26mbit) and there thinkin of bringin 100 mbit to private users (us) .. currently only companies can have 100 mbit (works with optical fibre cables ) :)

Back