Your Internet Connection Poll

How do you connect to the Internet?

• Cable/DSL (or similar speed)

• Dial-Up Modem (or similar speed)

• Dedicated (T1, DS3, Work, University)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
in bulgaria we have devided the speeds for local bulgarian traffic and international ... i have 16mbit/4mbit international vs. 100mbit/100mbit bulgarian a small ISP i have ... :]]

Shotokan said:
Road Runner here. Was #1 in the US at one point, not sure if it is anymore but they just upped the speeds for us again. Coming from ADSL, cable is a dream.
It's not #1 for sure. I also know quite a few people on roadrunner in the Cincy area, all are very disappointed with it. Most only see 1/2 the advertised speed even at off-peak times, and one actually saw dialup speeds during peak times consistently. Not to mention the horrible upload speeds of what, 128k.

Yea, uploading on SBC is a joke. I know road runner is huge up in Rochester, NY, they swear by it, I would have had it, only $19.95 a month, had i elected to stay in Rochester.

mdnky said:
Most only see 1/2 the advertised speed even at off-peak times, and one actually saw dialup speeds during peak times consistently. Not to mention the horrible upload speeds of what, 128k.

WOW! Sorry to those people. I am in the midwest and the network out here has yet to see its limit. 128k uploads???? Not here. 3mbs down and 512k up. And I get those speeds consistently. EVERY TIME.

From bandwidthplace.com

Attachments

• speed.gif
    speed.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 7
Do you guys see much downtime, with either DSL or cable, or even dial-up? One of the problems with DSL (vs. cable) used to be that service would unexpectedly go down from time to time; however, I think the only downtime I've ever seen here has been on this side.

I've had dsl since '99 or 2000, with three different companies at three different locations. The only down time I've had was differences in getting set up. Two took a week and the other took a month. But once it was up, it was up.

I've had down time a few times, maybe 3 weeks ago when there was some problem and I was down about 3 hours. Other times are when they update things late at night, when i generally will be working on projects until I begin to nod off.

My cable has never gone down, it's been real reliable. But I've only had the service for probably 6 months.

I've had DSL since...ugh...it's been awhile, maybe 5-6 years now at the house, the FD I ran at had it in both stations for 2 years, and I've had it at 4 locations in my offices over the past 4 years.

At the house we've gone down a handfull of times at most:

Twice when the phone connection to the house went bad, Two were caused by careless drivers deciding that the telephone poles either didn't need to be there or who just wanted to test the safety of their vehicles by driving throught them (FD), and a couple of times when power went out.

The FD ones never went down, then again the telephone company was next door...so that may have been a reason. To my knowledge our offices never died either, of course those were business class and had priority over residential services.

Then again, the two from the line connection at the house were the only ones that cable would've prevented MAYBE...but the others would have killed cable one too. I can tell you the Cable TV service here sucks, goes down all the time...so I would assume the internet would with it.

Back