Your MacOSX on-the-scene Hurricane Reporter Guy!

delsoljb32

Dark Archon
Greetings all, bored to tears here, no work for the rest of the week since lovely Ivan has come to visit my part of the world. So, in an effort to fight the boredom (and to keep from raiding the beer and liquor stockpile at 1021AM :D :D) I will continue reporting here about the conditions and goings-on here in Pensacola,FL up until Ivan takes the powerlines down. I'll see if I can get out there every now and again and snap some pics to give everyone an idea of what its like. For now, I'll start with a radar pic from the weather channel.

Right now the wind is picking up and some of the outer rain bands are coming in. I imagine we'll have power till probably this evening or so, then it'll be out for a week most likely. More to follow, wish me luck!

Attachments

• Ivan.jpg
    Ivan.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 13
horray! our own on the ground reporter!
be carefull, i dont want my friend to have to come save you (firefighter down there in pensacola)

Dude, I wish you the best... Hopefully it will steer further west. I have family in those parts, who have already evacuated to Atlanta to stay with my 'rents.

Yeah, we were hoping it would swing more westerly, but it is setting its sights on Mobile Bay, which is about 50-60 miles from here (which puts us right in the northeastern corner of the eyewall, right where you dont want to be!). Everything is boarded up and secured. I have friends in the fire dept as well, hopefully I wont be calling on them!

It was so weird this morning, all my windows are boarded up so tight, there is NO light coming into the house. I woke up, thinking it was still early, looked at the clock and it was 9:30, very eerie. I imagine it will be very strange when it feels like the middle of the day, and its still pitch black in the house.

My Girlfriend is down in Columbus GA right now with her parents. I am really worried about her, i talked to her this morning at like 10am est, and it was already raining

conditions are steadily deteriorating, more wind and rain, gusts of approx. 35-40mph. Expecting the water to be shut off sometime today as well, most likely towards the evening.

ufff! That's tough! Be careful, dude! And hey, maybe it's time for a scientifical observation. Overclock your powerbook and use it outside. Guess you should be able to run it a 3Ghz, huh? ;)
Kidding, stay save and don't play the hero, ok? (this is what they mostly say in the movies. I think it's appropriate in this situation)

Please keep safe. We here in South Florida were really lucky with all three storms. Let's just hope that Jeanne turns away to the Atlantic. I'll keep all you guys in my prayers...

God bless...

yeah, the wind is picking up quite a bit now, howling in the trees outside my window. the good thing is that the speed of the hurricane has increased and will move thru faster. The bad part is that it will make landfall during the night, which is a little scary.

Heres a pic from outside just a few minutes ago, pretty blurry on account of the rain and low light, but it was worth a shot.

Not sure how much longer we'll have power and cable, but I'll keep on it...

-Your fearless storm tracker

Attachments

• DSCN0015.jpg
    DSCN0015.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 15
probably the last transmission for a while (a week or more??). The power and cable has been going in and out as transformers are exploding throughout my neighborhood (somehow we still have power!?!) No pics since it is 9:30 PM and the camera wouldnt pick up anything, however here is the latest radar. There have been reports of tornadoes in neighboring cities and 1 confirmed death as a result. Wish me luck in the following days and godspeed to you all.

-J-

Attachments

• Ivan4.jpg
    Ivan4.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 5
Well, I am sure you won't be able to respond by this point. My prayers are with you and all those who are currently battling through the storm...

Best wishes, and write back soon as you can to let us know everything is okay.

Well that storm spawned some tornados in my neck of the woods. Some people around here we hit hard. It didn't stay on the ground for that long. My immediate area was spared but just a couple of miles from here it was hit. Weird. I hope delsoljb32 made out o.k.

Well everyone, my family and I made it through ok, some damage to our house, but everyone was safe. That was quite an experience that I will hopefully never have to live through again. Very scary. My city is in ruins, everywhere is destruction and debris. It will take many months and years to rebuild and get back to normal, if at all. Hopefully for this sleepy little retirement/military town we can resume some sort of normalcy, but I doubt it. Just about the entire downtown area was damaged/demolished by the storm surge, the rest of the city was decimated by the 115 tornadoes that were spawned by the hurricane. Many friends lost their homes, lives ruined, and so far 68 souls were lost.

Quite an experience...

Good to hear from you delsoljb32! After watching the news it's a wonder more weren't lost.I wouldn't think it'd be stretch to say that this years Thanksgiving will be particularly poignant.

Glad to hear you're safe delsoljb32, 115 tornadoes is actually beyond my ability to comprehend, i've never even seen one (for once i'm glad about the english weather). Perhaps time for a quiet drink over in the Bar, I'll take over you barkeep duties temporarily while you recover- now is hardly a time for having to pour your own beer!

Once again, glad you and your family are safe, good luck with the rebuild.

Back