YouTube is Broken (have tried everything)

jasfa131

The Lone Deranger
Starting two weeks ago, YouTube has been causing the following problems.

1) Choppy videos, freezing, makes the browser (Safari) hang up
2) The Large Video button makes the player larger, but keeps the video the same size (not filling the larger video box)
3) The fullscreen button completely doesn't work

I've tried:
-repairing my startup disc and repairing permission from the Mac OS X install DVD
-Clearing cache, cookies, etc.
-Rebooting the computer (obviously)
-Deleting all of my Safari extensions/plugins

IT SEEMS TO WORK FINE IN FIREFOX.

Nothing seems to be working, or even helping. Other Macs aren't experiencing the same problems (even with Safari).

Last edited:
First download the free program Flush to remove all the Flash cookies. Plus what version of Flash are you running?

Have you installed other "codecs" like Perian, or have you changed the association for Flash/MP4 movies to an application other than the Flash plugin?

When you right-click on a YouTube video (the actual video itself), does a menu pop up, and if so, does it say something to the effect of "Flash version 11.XXX.XXX" or something similar?

Have you tried Click2Flash ? it plays Youtube videos in Quicktime player.

sounds like Safari has broken. i would re install Safari.
Safari cannot normally be uninstalled from OS X, but an app called AppZapper can..
AppZapper says it cant remove Safari, but tweak about in AppZapper, then it will let you remove default apps like Safari. then, of course, fully clean the OS, then reinstall.

Good Luck !

Back