Zapping PRAM question! Please!

bluebonnet01

Registered
Also, need to know if zapping my PRAM will wipe out my computer? I'm trying to fix it without losing any of my files (i.e., photos, files, etc.) So, will I lose anything when zapping my PRAM?

(I'm the one who just posted about the blue screen trouble I'm trying to fix by using your site.)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

No, 'zapping the PRAM' won't make things any worse, and will not have any affect on your files, etc. It's just one form of a hardware reset - similar in some ways to pressing a reset button.

Thank you so much for answering my question! I'll give it a try and see what happens. Don't know why I can't reboot in single user mode if it said that the HD was okay after running the fsck -fy.

Can I zap the PRAM from the black and white coding screen? Scared to exit the coding screen since I read somewhere on here about not typing "exit" after running "-sh /etc/rc".

Thank you for your reply! One question: how do I leave the black/white coding screen to restart the computer in order to zap the PRAM? Just turn it off? Or would that hurt the computer? It says "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK. localhost:/ root#" on it now.

Type "reboot" and hit Enter. If that doesn't work, go ahead and just power down.

Back