If the G5 is true, are you buying one?

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
OK, either someone at Apple made a job ending mistake, or they were hacked. I'm leaning towards the former, so here's the question...

If the specs are true, and Apple releases 1.6, 1.8, and 2ghz dual configs on Monday, at the same prices as the current offerings ($1499 entry, $1999 mid, $2699 for high end) - which machine, if any, will you be buying?

Keep in mind that most likely the only model immediately shipping will be the entry level model. The mid and high end models probably won't ship for another 4-8 weeks, if the rumors are true...

Me? I'm in serious need of a new desktop since I've already sold of my dual-800G4, so I'll probably opt for the 1.6ghz G5, along with a nice 20" Cinema Display.

My next computer purchase will be in July or August of 2004 when I have my truck paid off (replacing my G4 533MHz). At that time I will probably buy the mid-level machine, whatever its specs are, and one or two LCD monitors depending on what prices I can find.

Well, a couple of things to consider:

1. These PowerMacs are much faster than anything (consumer desktops) else in existance. Supply vs. Demand. You do the math.

2. These PowerMacs will use faster and hence more expensive components (memory cards), and other motherboard chips.

3. I predict they will be more expensive than the current crop of G4s, somewhere around $3500 to $5000.

4. And you know these will sell very fast, because every geek on slashdot wants one. Gosh I wish I purchased Apple stock back when it was hovering around $12/share.

I'll be buying the 1.8ghz... but seriously though? I'm looking at buying a new laptop soon since my iBook was killed while I was Germany's customs.

If they would announce the 970's in powerbooks, I'd wait, buy that, then let the G5's in desktop form get their first price drop.

Well, according to IBM's own papers, production of the 970 will start some time in the second half of the year. That rarely means it started 1. june. We'll possibly see a prototype on WWDC, but no final products until September or January I'm afraid. And yea, I call myself an optimist ;)

I predict they will be more expensive than the current crop of G4s, somewhere around $3500 to $5000.

With the sorry state of Power Mac sales, Apple really can't afford to jack up prices, even with these latest improvements. Plus, from what I've read, the IBM970 is a much cheaper chip (cost wise) than any of Motorolas offerings. Theoretically, Apple could keep the current pricing scheme and increase their profits since several key components are cheaper.

Well, according to IBM's own papers, production of the 970 will start some time in the second half of the year. That rarely means it started 1. june. We'll possibly see a prototype on WWDC, but no final products until September or January I'm afraid.

Apple couldn't publicly show a IBM970 prototype now and not ship until September/January. That would equal 3 to 7 months of abysmal Power Mac G4 sales, as no one will buy knowing that the G5 is around the corner.

If Apple is publicly demoing it, they will be shipping at least one model that day (or within 2 weeks).

Remember when they showed the new notebooks at MWSF 2003? The 12" was immediately available, and the 17" was 6-8 weeks away...

No one but an idiot would be buying a computer this close to WWDC anyway :)
And about IBM saying that the PPC970 won't ship for a few months, that could be ship as an individual component, couldn't it?
Also, I bet Apple could have roped them into hushing up until after WWDC! :D

No one but an idiot would be buying a computer this close to WWDC anyway. And about IBM saying that the PPC970 won't ship for a few months, that could be ship as an individual component, couldn't it?
Also, I bet Apple could have roped them into hushing up until after WWDC!

Exactly.

Plus, IBM is known for meeting/exceeding their shipping schedules, unlike Moto who is constantly falling behind them...

Why are we changing the discussion? Keep it the way it was supposed to be:
-If the G5 is true, are you buying one?

:p :D ;)

:)

I wish. :p I bought my iMac a month ago, and I can't afford another machine... Even if I had waited a little longer, those G5's will probably be out of my price range. I'm happy with the iMac though. :D But should the time come for a new computer, I'll wait as long as I can so I can get the next chip after the G5.

Yes. I am buying one. I will sell my eMac (since it is only a year old i think i will get a ok price for it) and use that money so the new computer wont feel that expensive. probably the cheepest of them will be my choice. My only problem is that i will have to get a display also :(

I was just wondering.. Do you know the whole specs that were posted? Because they can be found over at ThinkSecret.com.. and there's more to it than just the speeds exceeding expectations!

the top of the line was listed as dual 2ghz 970's, with support for up to 8gb of DDR RAM, a 1ghz system bus, optical and analog audio in/out, and 3 firewire 800 ports. No mention was made of hypertransport, but it was the store page, so they're not likely to put something so technical on there...you'd most likely find that on the tech specs of the powermac page. If I remember correctly, price was listed as something like $2600 for the top of the line model that I just described. I'm at the Apple Store (Miami) right now, typing this on one of the 17" Powerbooks...damn thing is amazing, but the keyboard is sooo strange compared to my Apple pro. I can't type without my beloved key travel.

YES!!!! Look at my specs below, my G4 needs a new friend., but me relocating in August takes up that money for now. :(

Back